Solar Panel Mounting on XLT?

SMinter

I would like to install a couple of 100 watt solar panels on my Sundance XLT. I am looking for information from others who have done this sucessfully. What did you use to attach the panels? The factory will not provide information as to location of the roof trusses. I tried a stud finder with no luck. May try a magnet as I think they may be steel trusses. I don't think the plywood in the roof is thick enough to hold screws. Any help will be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello SMinter and welcome to the posting part of the forum.

Last week I ran into a guy that was in the middle of his solar install.
His solar panels were only about 1/8" thick with adhesive backing. He stuck them right to the rubber roof.
His plan is to use some self leveling caulk on the lead edge of the panel so that the wind when traveling will not get under.

Looked pretty nice and no screws.

Peace
Dave

Jim.Allison

1016911_4238103247901_2672948776791909427_n-2.jpg

I did not seal mine. I'm glad I bought these.

Hello SMinter and welcome to the posting part of the forum.

Last week I ran into a guy that was in the middle of his solar install.
His solar panels were only about 1/8" thick with adhesive backing. He stuck them right to the rubber roof.
His plan is to use some self leveling caulk on the lead edge of the panel so that the wind when traveling will not get under.

Looked pretty nice and no screws.

Peace
Dave

dcwettstein

I am the guy Dave was talking about. I had two panels on the roof and will be picking two more up tomorrow. Jim was the guy that told me about these panels and I am glad he did. The panels are 15" wide and 18 feet long. It was raining out yesterday and I was getting 35.5 volts going to my controller. in the sun I get about44 volts so the panels work on cloudy days. You can read the thread below on mounting flexible solar panels.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I mounted two rigid 100 watt Renogy solar panels to my BH roof using Dicor sealant under the brackets, which I also screwed to the plywood roof.
I finished with a healthy dose of Dicor self leveling sealant around the edges of the mounting brackets and over all screws.
They have been on for 6 months, several thousand miles and a few severe rain storms. They are still as solid as a rock. Trace

Jim.Allison

Glad to hear about your success. That some pretty good voltage on a cloudy day. You sure got that installed quickly. Seems like just a week ago you were ordering that stuff. I guess its been longer than that though.

I am the guy Dave was talking about. I had two panels on the roof and will be picking two more up tomorrow. Jim was the guy that told me about these panels and I am glad he did. The panels are 15" wide and 18 feet long. It was raining out yesterday and I was getting 35.5 volts going to my controller. in the sun I get about44 volts so the panels work on cloudy days. You can read the thread below on mounting flexible solar panels.

SMinter

I mounted two rigid 100 watt Renogy solar panels to my BH roof using Dicor sealant under the brackets, which I also screwed to the plywood roof.
I finished with a healthy dose of Dicor self leveling sealant around the edges of the mounting brackets and over all screws.
They have been on for 6 months, several thousand miles and a few severe rain storms. They are still as solid as a rock. Trace

Any idea how thick the plywood on the roof was. I am concerned that it is not thick enough to hold the mounting screws,.

dcwettstein

I still have quite a bit to do. I have my Magnum 2000 Watt inverter/charger in our living room and 2 more panels out in the garage to be mounted. I will be getting to it next week. I think I will mount the inverter/ charger next to the batteries because the instructions say to have it close to the batteries. Will post pictures when I get finished. Thanks for the tip on the panels. I am impressed so far.