What's with the water pump?

wingerbls

Still a newbie in the first year using my Sundance XLT. I'm still learning its idiosyncrasies; and one has me stumped. Every once in a while, the water pump will run for just a second then shut off, all on its own. I'm guessing that means it is slowly losing pressure, meaning I likely have a leak somewhere, but I have looked everywhere I can get to, and can't find one. I've checked/tightened all the connections at various faucets (none were loose), checked connections at the pump, at various valves, etc. No leaks found.

This happens irregularly, perhaps once every 2-4 hours, sometimes even less. I've wondered if it may even be temperature changes causing the water in the lines to contract, dropping the pressure, but it doesn't seem like there should be enough water volume in the lines to do that. It could also be a slight leak in the pump itself, which seems quite plausible.

Anybody else experience this?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Yes, on our Bighorn it happened and it turned out that our outside shower/faucet was leaking. Tightened it up and it never happened again.

gebills

Hi wingerbls: If I were in your shoes, I'd keep looking for all the various fittings in the plumbing scenario after the pump; even the fittings at the pump. The advantage to having it leaking while your on the pump, at least you know you are loosing pressure somewhere. I've just found water standing in my basement underneath all the "stuff". I'm on city water pressure and was not aware of a leak until I pulled a rag up from the bottom of the "stuff" on the floor of the basement. So, into the basement I will go looking for my leak. In so much as I could not hear the leak (as in your case, hearing the pump surge on occasion), I have no idea how long it has been leaking. Good luck with your search.

danemayer

Hi wingerbls,

You're on the right track looking for leaks. But it could be a slow, hard-to-observe leak. You've probably already done so, but also look for evidence like water stains. It's important to run this to ground because even a very slow leak can cause extensive damage.

It's also possible that the pump's pressure switch is out of adjustment or has a problem. Or as mentioned, there could be a problem with the internal check valve having crud stuck in it.