New Owner

cgaskins

Hello Everyone. I just purchased a new 2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL today. We take delivery on September 25th! We are very excited. Our current 5th wheel is a 2007 Keystone Montana which has served us well. The Big Country is an awesome coach and sooooooo nice. We were amazed at all of the advancements since we got our first 5th wheel like: power awning, leveling system, and nice big residential refrigerator.

Anyway, any advice as a new Big Country owner?

Is there any thing we should specifically ask or pay attention to during the walk through?

Thanks,
Chris
Austin, Texas

Wmnmy

congrats on your Big Country just try to let the excitement wait till u get her home and have the PDI done slowly go over everything touch buttons ask questions write down what u think you may forget and some have video of their PDI you will love it enjoy and happy camping....

jimtoo

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you do your walk through/PDI just check every thing. Since you have had a Montana you pretty well know how things work I'm sure,, but just recheck everything. You will have all new appliances, so make sure they work. Check from top to bottom. I would even ask that they have water and sewer hooked up to check for leaks and operation of the valves.

Welcome again,, enjoy the forum while waiting till the day of delivery comes. :)

Jim M

Jim M

Bobby A

See if the dealership has an on site area for you to stay for a day or 2 or a campground close by in the event something is wrong, make sure you ask the question that if something is wrong they will get you in Immediately for repair !! 2nd thing, read this forum often, it will be your best friend.

Jim.Allison

Replace Towmax tires before you leave the lot.......Or you will be a candidate for membership in the Blowmax owners group. Replace those slippers with a set of boots. You will be glad you did.

Search term: BlowMax, Towmax, and blowout and see what you get.

cgaskins

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I look forward to getting to know people here. I was fairly active on the Montana forums and understand the value of the ownership community. We are mostly weekenders with a few couple week trips during the summers so I have a little time before we go on a big trip to shake things out. I understand that new units have their quirks that need to be worked out. Just need to find them... <Grin>

Couple of thoughts on what has been shared so far:
  1. On the PDI, yes I plan on making notes but great suggestion.
  2. I was may take the coach over to a RV campground about 5 miles from my house (very close to my storage facility) and drop it there and let it run for a few days and spend the weekend in it just to make sure all is good. Based on your suggestions, I think that is a good idea.
  3. Tires... Arrggg. Yes, I noticed it was towmax tires that came standard on the unit. I was hoping to get a years worth of use out of them and replace them next fall. Is that asking to much. We probably travel between 5K and 7K miles a year with the RV. I always ran Maxxis ST tires on my Montana and had great success with those. I'll do my research on the Towmax tires. Thank you for the tip.

I am excited about having the Level Up system. Can't wait to learn and us it. No more wooden blocks!!! Yeah!!!!!

Also, I never put a cover on my Montana and it got to looking very weathered over the years. I plan on buying the ADCO 5th wheel cover from Campingworld. Any suggestions or comments on that? Never put a cover on an RV so I hope it is not too frustrating.

Thanks again,
Chris

danemayer

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I look forward to getting to know people here. I was fairly active on the Montana forums and understand the value of the ownership community. We are mostly weekenders with a few couple week trips during the summers so I have a little time before we go on a big trip to shake things out. I understand that new units have their quirks that need to be worked out. Just need to find them... <Grin>

Couple of thoughts on what has been shared so far:
  1. On the PDI, yes I plan on making notes but great suggestion.
  2. I was may take the coach over to a RV campground about 5 miles from my house (very close to my storage facility) and drop it there and let it run for a few days and spend the weekend in it just to make sure all is good. Based on your suggestions, I think that is a good idea.
  3. Tires... Arrggg. Yes, I noticed it was towmax tires that came standard on the unit. I was hoping to get a years worth of use out of them and replace them next fall. Is that asking to much. We probably travel between 5K and 7K miles a year with the RV. I always ran Maxxis ST tires on my Montana and had great success with those. I'll do my research on the Towmax tires. Thank you for the tip.

I am excited about having the Level Up system. Can't wait to learn and us it. No more wooden blocks!!! Yeah!!!!!

Also, I never put a cover on my Montana and it got to looking very weathered over the years. I plan on buying the ADCO 5th wheel cover from Campingworld. Any suggestions or comments on that? Never put a cover on an RV so I hope it is not too frustrating.

Thanks again,
Chris

Chris,

Winter's coming, even in Texas, so during the PDI, make sure you get a good look at the winterizing valves and controls, and the water pump. If you have an icemaker, locate the cutoff for the water feed line. Sometimes the basement wall has to be taken down to get at these areas - have the dealer show you.

cgaskins

Chris,

Winter's coming, even in Texas, so during the PDI, make sure you get a good look at the winterizing valves and controls, and the water pump. If you have an icemaker, locate the cutoff for the water feed line. Sometimes the basement wall has to be taken down to get at these areas - have the dealer show you.

Dan, good point. We have the residential refrigerator (first time with that option for us) that has an ice maker and water in the door. I had not thought about the winterization yet. Thank you!!

-Chris