Air in water system.

oscar

I've bled the whole system, but somehow air keeps getting into the system. Sputtering out of the faucet, pump running a while before shutting off. Suspect air is getting in.... but where?

Any experiences here?

danemayer

Antifreeze suction line valve partially open? Loose fitting at the pump? Loose filter bowl at the pump?

porthole

Retired
Oscar, all the fittings should be some type of crimp or hose clamp using pex or hose - except the water pump connection. That connection is usually the screw on connector like what is used under the sinks. That as well as checking the debris filter that is typically installed at the pump inlet.

scottyb

Oscar, air would indicate a leak on the suction side of the pump. Have you replaced the pump yet? The pump our rigs came with has been discontinued. I had to replace mine last year after it would run continuously. I got some directions from Shurflo to trace down the problem. The 1st step in the process of elimination was to assure that no air was getting into the suction side. If you take loose the suction line from the Anderson valve, remove the screen, reconnect the hose directly to the pump, and use the hose to draw from a bucket of water instead of going through the Anderson valve, you eliminate all but one connection. If this solves the problem, you have a vacuum leak. If not, you may have a bad pump.

oscar

Success. Got in there and tightened every connection and the sediment bowl. Some of them were pretty loose, everything is finger tight now. Pump behaving as it should, no more sputtering.

On a side note, the accessibility is less than adequate. I was able to take the back panel in the small DS compartment out, worm myself in between the studs (6'/170#) and JUST reach the pump. Took a few minutes to look around this spaghetti of pipes, hoses and wires and I am less than impressed with how it is all organized and secured. This could have been done a LOT better and, sadly for the same money.

oscar

As a follow up...... I may just widen the stud cavity in said compartment, make the door hinged, and go in there and rearrange the mess of dangling outlets, hoses and wires to where I know what's what and can get to it. I accept the fact that stuff breaks, works it's way loose. I've been messing with cars, boats and campers for over half a century. But being able to get in there, see what's what, and fix it pronto is the difference between adventure and ordeal. I suspect this is not an HL shortcoming per se, I suspect it is the industry (low) standard, but they could learn a LOT from the marine industry. Definitely a higher standard.