QC on Heartland products

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All,

At the RV show this weekend, I noted this flyer taped to the countertops of at least two of the display units.

9dfae7683591f4f003e9764ddf2d1946.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am curious how long this process takes and how labor intensive it is? I feel that this would be a great PR move by Heartland to include this on more units, assuming it is at all economically feasible.

Starting with the higher end units, LM, BH and BC would go a long way toward eliminating repeat failures and gaining even more consumer trust. Spend a little more on the front end and possibly save even more on the back end. Might be a win win?

I believe a few other mfgrs like Airstream, do this type of QC on every unit. Trace

Last edited:

Mrsfish

I know that when we were waiting for our new 5er last May, it was delayed a week. Seems it had been randomly pulled from the production line for an inspection. We didn't mind the delay at all.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recall, to much fanfare, that they were instituting a REAL quality audit process that checked everything. Fit, finish, & function. This is not that :(

danemayer

I recall, to much fanfare, that they were instituting a REAL quality audit process that checked everything. Fit, finish, & function. This is not that :(

John,

My understanding is that they have instituted a QC process at each station of the manufacturing line.

This is a post-build audit conducted by a separate team in a separate building to inspect key areas and find out where the build and QC processes need to be improved.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think this flyer is too cheesy and simplified. If they want to tout their QC, make a full color brochure showing the features and benefits, and make personalized certificates to include in each coach that aren't generic and easily reproduced.

To their credit, the units I saw this flyer in did not have any fit and finish issues that I saw.

GOTTOYS

I would hope any manufacturer checks for propane leaks, whether the wheels are going to fall off in transit, if there are any electrical shorts or water leaks..Big deal. I have to think everybody does this just to stay out of court...What about all of the fit and finish items, the loose trim, the drawer bottoms falling out, the windows that won't open, the blisters in the door skins, sagging springs, bad seals, slides that are out of adjustment...the list goes on. I think we would all like see them check items that a lot of the other manufacturers may not sign off on....Don

SeattleLion

My Bighorn was manufactured in January of this year, so presumably the quality improvements had taken hold. Last week we brought the coach back for its service. We traveled for weekends this summer with the issues discovered during and after our walkthrough uncorrected until now. Below is our list. It may be revealing as to how well/poorly Heartland QC is. I didn't upload the images, but I think you can see why I am a bit concerned. In fairness, none of the issues are important enough to stop us from enjoying our trips. However, on a coach this expensive, these things should have been discovered before we took delivery. A few issues are with items installed by Heartland (AC, fireplace, Microwave/convection), however all of my problems are shared by many others. That suggests that Heartland didn't really test the products before selecting them for install. I don't expect them to test each microwave or AC unit but if you search this forum, you will find these issues all over the place.

Replace kitchen faucet (you already have the part). Original drips. Discovered by Fife RV during PDI

2. Replace Microwave/convection oven )(we have the part). Convection oven doesn't heat properly. Heartland will authorize .5 hours for this (I spoke to customer service). New unit is in the trailer on the livingroom floor.

3. Window shades on right side of bed (facing bed) are not secured properly).

4. Window shade on large bedroom window won't go up all the way.

5. Window shade on large window by couch won't go up all the way.

6. Please adjust all shades to go up to the same height. (daytime and nighttime).

7. Livingroom slide carpet has several problems:
a. bunched up on right. (image: LRugfolded.jpg)
b. binding ripped on left (image: diningrugtear.jpg).Please replace carpet.

8. Ugly (silver) patch on living room slide large window (right side, image: edgeofLRwindow.jpg) Unacceptable in a coach this expensive.

9. Protruding screws in UDC (dangerous). Don't just put shorter screws in, fix the wall too (image: screws.jpg)

10. Replace shade on kitchen light fixture. It is unravelling and nothing we do will stop it. Already has an area with no finish (image:kitchenlightproblem2.jpg)

11. On both kitchen and living room slide, the large D-molding that slides into channels on the top and sides of the slides worked their way out of the channel. We reinserted it and fastened it with screws. On the top of the living room slide, the weather stripping is damaged on one or both ends. Heartland customer service asked us to temporarily fasten them in place with screws. They said you would replace the molding. Can you do that and also reuse the screws? All of this molding seems to work its way out.

12. Bedroom slide inside weather stripping (image: bedroomslideweatherstrippinginside.jpg) worked its way out. Please replace and affix more permanently.

13. Shower door handle is missing. It was in the coach originally but on the floor. Your techs put it on, but on the wrong panel. We noticed during walkthrough. Your techs removed it and didn't return it to us. (image:shower.jpg) I got the picture from the Heartland web site.

14. Bedroom window (over dresser) won't stay open. The red handle that latches on the frame unhooks itself and the window slams shut. We have had to use a cardboard wedge to keep it opened.

15. Pantry door: large gap between door and the wall. Jim Schmitz said he was going to replace the wall panel to get the door frame to fit correctly. The gap is also uneven. He claimed he talked to Heartland.

16. Living room air conditioner turns the fan on and off while cooling. This is a known issue and is quite annoying. Please get Heartland to either replace the AC or give you the fix.

17. Fireplace heater cuts off (thermal breaker I think) after being on high for a half hour to an hour. Others have complained about this problem too. We have to wait till it cools and then turn it on again. Please fix or replace.

18 Living room recliner (left one as you face them) has problems reclining when you pull the recline lever. Please fix.

19. LIght fixture in bedroom closest to the door. We can't unscrew the cover to clean out foam inside.

20. Please align bedroom closet doors. They don't close evenly. (top or bottom of door touches the frame while the other end is a distance away.

21, Black tank spray doesn't rotate and sprays minimal amount of water.

22. Fireplace remote doesn't work. I replaced the battery and it still won't work. It worked briefly when we first got the trailer. I replaced the battery and it didn't help. The remote is in the drawer to the left and below the living room TV.

23.The padding on the assist handle on the door is splitting. (see image). Please replace when we come in.

1. Power cable door is broken (missing port cover). Part number PN 14503

TandT

I think this flyer is too cheesy and simplified. If they want to tout their QC, make a full color brochure.

Erika,
That was the first thing I thought of. It doesn't look very "official". Trace

Hunter11

Bob, your trailer sounds like ours. I guess their new Q/C procedures had not taken effect yet when our trailer was built in April. We have had nothing but issues with ours since we got it home and we have more to look forward to. In January we are having the roof replaced because part of the decking under the rubber roof is coming up, the front jacks replaced and the bed frame has to come out because it is flush to the floor on one side and 1" to 1 1/2" high on the other. Now not only is this costing Heartland warranty money but us as well. Since we live in this unit full time we have to find a place to stay while the dealer has our trailer for a couple of weeks which will come out of our pocket. We are beginning to think we may never get the trailer we spent good money on.

TandT

In January we are having the roof replaced because part of the decking under the rubber roof is coming up

This thread is starting to go a little sideways.

Hunter11,
Sorry to hear your having problems.

FWIW, I had a raised area between two pieces of my roof decking.
The repair facility simply rolled the rubber back to the affected area and repaired it.
Then they unrolled and secured the rubber back down again.
I don't really understand why it would be necessary to replace your roof. Trace

Hunter11

Sorry, did not mean to take the post in another direction I just get a little upset when QC is bought up.

Heartland asked for pictures of the effected area and I sent those to them. They and the dealer talked after they looked at the pictures and decided the rubber roof needs to come off to make the repairs. Sorry for venting about all our issues but it is starting to wear on us.

SeattleLion

I don't think it is sideways at all. Heartland has been doing quality "audits" on some trailers. The rest of us get a bunch of problems. Are we to believe that only 'audited' trailers have a chance of being defect free?

donr827

Since the Rv sales have jumped since the end of the recession the RV manufacturers have had to hire a lot of new workers to build the trailers to meet demand. I would think that little or no experience means more chances for problems with the build. JMO
Don

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I would hope that every thing shown in post#1 would be done to all trailers before they leave the plant

SeattleLion

It's really easy to rationalize why quality is not very good. I'm sorry, but I spent a lot of money on my trailer and I have the right to expect it to be delivered to me without issues. We had 26 problems, 24 of them easily found if anyone (Heartland or the dealer) took the time to do a good inspection.

By the way, the latest issue of Trailer Life reviewed a Big Country. They are usually giant lovers of any product who will buy advertising. However, they slammed the Big Country for defects. I was surprised to read that. I wasn't surprised that there were a lot of problems.

SilverRhino

I would hope that every thing shown in post#1 would be done to all trailers before they leave the plant

X2! Common sense would say these items are always checked! The new units that I have looked at on two different RV lots in the last few months obviously were not chosen for any QC!