Atwood 3 burner cooktop

judybob42

We have a 2013 Landmark Key Largo. Last week we were using the front burner of our Atwood cook top when we saw flame coming out the knob on the front of the stove. We turned stove top off. Can you tell us what to do next? Thanks.

Bob

azbigfoot

Re: Atwood 3burner cooktop

Make sure the burner is still attached to the stove. Is it loose? There is bracket attached to the burner by a small screw. On mine the screw fell out which caused me all types of lighting problems.

Edit: to remove the stove top push in on the left/right sides and lift.

rxbristol

Mine too. You may have to replace the burner if the plastic grommet melted because I found it impossible to remove. Atwood would not warranty the fix to me and said I would have to take it to a repair shop. My stove's problem was because the tube from the burner to the stove tube was not seated correctly. To fix it, I bent the support bracket on the burner, very slightly, which correctly aligned the tubes and solved the problem. If the support bracket on the burner is loose and you cannot tighten it, you may have to remove the washer from the tiny screw to give you more thread contact to tighten the screw. If you need pictures let me know.

judybob42

Thanks for your reply. I was also told that Atwood would not warranty the repair. Look forward to your pictures of the repair.

danemayer

Thanks for your reply. I was also told that Atwood would not warranty the repair. Look forward to your pictures of the repair.
I believe Atwood has a 2 year warranty on their cooking appliances. If you haven't already done so, maybe you should call them directly to find out whether the repair will be covered. 800-546-8759

rxbristol

1. The first picture is of the bracket that can be SLIGHTLY bent to "push" the gas tube in alignment.
2. Picture two is where I removed the small washer to give the screw more threads to engage the burner and tighten...I may have to replace this screw because the heating and expansion seems to loosen this screw.
3. Picture three is the plastic grommet that melted on my old burner and I could not remove it, so I had to buy a new burner.
4. Picture four shows the correct alignment of the burner tube.

Burner 1.jpgBurner 2.jpgBurner 3.jpgBurner 4.jpg

I understand why Atwood will not warranty parts to a customer because of liability issues, but they did say I could take it to a repair facility. It was much easier to do it myself.

yak50

Well for what its worth, from the factory they plug (little black plug ! ) is inside each tube, they left mine in on the front burner, causing a large flame condition, which i found out could have caused my fridge mother board to fail also, good luck to all!

navyAZ1

Thanks for the info all, we had the same issue this past weekend at the SC rally, scared the bejeezes out of us. I did figure there was an issue with this front burner when you look at the tubes of the back burners they seat on the valve much better, where the front burner barely fits on the valve, almost as tho the tube was manufactured to short. Going to attempt to get the black plastic bushing out and replace it and then bend the bracket a little so the tube can seat better on the valve.

rxbristol

Thanks for the info all, we had the same issue this past weekend at the SC rally, scared the bejeezes out of us. I did figure there was an issue with this front burner when you look at the tubes of the back burners they seat on the valve much better, where the front burner barely fits on the valve, almost as tho the tube was manufactured to short. Going to attempt to get the black plastic bushing out and replace it and then bend the bracket a little so the tube can seat better on the valve.

If you find a way to get the melted bushing out let me know. After mine melted it was like Bakelite and not going anywhere.

navyAZ1

If you find a way to get the melted bushing out let me know. After mine melted it was like Bakelite and not going anywhere.

The bushing came right out, there was still a small hole where the plastic had melted in the center. I stuck a screwdriver in there gave it a twist and the bushing pulled right out. Called our local RV place and they have to order the bushing but it will be here Tuesday, had them order two so I'll have an extra one just in case. I checked all over and could not find a "recall" on this issue, but it sure seems there certainly should be a recall on this?

rxbristol

The bushing came right out, there was still a small hole where the plastic had melted in the center. I stuck a screwdriver in there gave it a twist and the bushing pulled right out. Called our local RV place and they have to order the bushing but it will be here Tuesday, had them order two so I'll have an extra one just in case. I checked all over and could not find a "recall" on this issue, but it sure seems there certainly should be a recall on this?

Glad yours popped out...much less expensive.

judybob42

I spoke with technical service at Atwood. They claim the front tube was bent by Heartland during a pressure test. That is the reason Atwood will not warranty the repair. Atwood agreed to send me a replacement burner bushing by mail. I have received two black burner bushings in the mail no charge. My plan is to follow the pictures and instructions you provided. Thank you Rex.

donr827

I spoke with technical service at Atwood. They claim the front tube was bent by Heartland during a pressure test. That is the reason Atwood will not warranty the repair. Atwood agreed to send me a replacement burner bushing by mail. I have received two black burner bushings in the mail no charge. My plan is to follow the pictures and instructions you provided. Thank you Rex.
Would be interesting to see what H/L has to say about this...............Don