Will my furnace run on 15 amp land line?

Jhuff8181

We are at my son's house for a few weeks and are hooked up with only 15 amps. We are in a 2015 Gateway 365BH. Does anyone know if this is enough to run our furnace?

John

9-larry

your furnace runs off the 12 volt system that runs off you battery which is charged by your converter so you will be ok.

Jhuff8181

Do I have to do anything to make sure the battery is charging? The reason I as is that the indicator light on the propane tank switch is not glowing red or green.

danemayer

In your control panel, there's a switch to check tank water levels. One of the indicators is for the battery charge. If the Power Converter is charging the battery, the indicator will always show 4 lights. If you have auto-leveling, you can cycle its control panel to show voltage which will be >13 V if charging. Or you can put a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals to check for >13V DC.

The Power Converter at times may consume up to 12 amps. So you don't have a lot of leftover capacity to run other things. You definitely want the water heater set to propane mode, not electric.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I run our furnace when needed while plugged into the house (garage outlet) with no problems.

Crumgater

Should be no problem.
All you're running is the fan, should be a low power item.

But, it will draw the battery down if you don't plug in (after a day or two)... so it's not insignificant.
As mentioned above, check the Battery Charge Level on your control panel, should be all 4 lights when plugged in.

Jhuff8181

Thanks everyone for your input. Turns out I only needed to change the thermostat to the auto setting before setting it to furnace. Works great now but I have another question - how long before the "new furnace" smell wears off?

John

happykraut

Most likely you're plugged into a 20 A receptacle at your sons house. While I have run the AC at my house before, I did run into a problem at my cousins house a few years ago on a SOB. He had very low voltage at his house and me using an extension cord that was too long(and I know better), I did burn up my AC.

GWRam

The initial oil smoke shouldn't last long and will clear faster if you can ventilate the unit. The new furnace smell shouldn't last but a couple hours to days depending on how often the furnace cycles on/off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The furnace runs off 12volt dc power so you will be fine, the only reason you would need to be plugged into 120volt ac is to keep batteries charged. I have boon docked for a week at a time without being plugged in and ran the furnace the entire time. I had to plug the trailer cord in to my tv and run it for about 20 minutes 3 times day to keep the batteries charged.

Jacknel

I want to connect a programable thermostat to my furnace and air conditioner, but there are only 3 wires instead of four. Does anyone have a schematic to wire this. My new thermostat has 2 AA batteries

danemayer

I want to connect a programable thermostat to my furnace and air conditioner, but there are only 3 wires instead of four. Does anyone have a schematic to wire this. My new thermostat has 2 AA batteries
If you're trying to use a home thermostat it may not work in place of a Dometic LCD.