Ford F-250 diesel dual turbo 6.7l // 2015 CY 4100

Pallard

Just not sure if I can pull this unit with a F-250 manufacturer is at 22,000 pounds pulling and 3,500 hitch weight, just wonder if any other member have F-250 and what are they pulling.?
Since it is pretty close to limit how will it perform ??

danemayer

Hi Pallard,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Pulling a Cyclone 4100 with an F250 is probably not a good idea. The GVWR of the 4100 is 18,000 lbs. The 5th wheel towing capacity of F250s seems to top out at around 16,200 lbs. To get greater towing capacity, you need to go to an F350 with dual rear wheels.

Also, the payload of an F250 is iffy for a Cyclone. The factory spec for pin weight is 3,000, but that's for an empty trailer with no options. Your should plan for a pin weight around 20% of GVWR, or 3,600 lbs. Add to that the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, passengers, pets, and anything else you put in the truck. Your truck payload requirement could easily be 4,500 lbs, which again puts you into a dual rear wheel configuration.

For more information, you should visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website developed by another Heartland owner.

scottyb

Pallard, I pulled mine with a 3500 SRW for a while. I was grossly overloaded and it became obvious when I hit the West Texas wind on I-10 West. This rig demands a DRW and there is no way I would ever hook onto it again with any SRW, let alone a F250. It's not a matter of towing power, it is all about stability and payload of course. I wouild venture to say you could easily approach 4K on the pin weight with added options and gear.

Jim.Allison

If you don't want a DRW look at the 2015 Ram 3500 with 20 inch wheels. Dont make your truck a slave to your rig make your rig a slave to your truck. Dually owners recommend duallys, and they are good trucks for what we do, but duallys have their own drawbacks. If you can and you should watch the weather, discipline yourself to pullover in heavy wind and the circumstances that make towing dangerous then you should be parked alongside a bunch of duallys doing the same thing. The SRW are quickly catching up to allowing you do do today what you used to have to have a dually to do. I wish that I would have been wiser I would be pulling with a 3500 today and would be completely comfortable with it. I'm comfortable with the 2500 but alway having to deal with the difference.

Just not sure if I can pull this unit with a F-250 manufacturer is at 22,000 pounds pulling and 3,500 hitch weight, just wonder if any other member have F-250 and what are they pulling.?
Since it is pretty close to limit how will it perform ??

scottyb

A dually is the last thing I wanted, since it is also my everyday work truck that I put 35-40K mi/ year. Not sure what the Ram SRW's CGWR is but if you load a golf cart or anything substantial in the 4100, you will be pushing 27-28K with a CC SWR.

scottyb

The highest GCWR for any SRW is 25K. With the 4100 moderately loaded, you are going to be over that by 2-3K, more if you add a large fuel tank. Fully loaded and fueled, I am right at my GCWR with my dually.

Pallard

The highest GCWR for any SRW is 25K. With the 4100 moderately loaded, you are going to be over that by 2-3K, more if you add a large fuel tank. Fully loaded and fueled, I am right at my GCWR with my dually.

According o Heartland dry weight is 14595lb and hitch 3000lb spec for is F-250 is 22,000.lb less 9800lbs weight of truck..still have16,800 lbs of towing capacity and 3700 lbs for hich capacity
Am I wrong??

Last edited:

danemayer

According o Heartland dry weight is 14595lb and hitch 3000lb spec for is F-250 is 22,000.lb less 9800lbs weight of truck..still have16,800 lbs of towing capacity and 3700 lbs for hich capacity
Am I wrong??

All these numbers and acronyms can get confusing.

The dry weight spec and actual weight coming out the factory door usually vary quite a bit. It's not unusual to weigh 1000 lbs more than the spec, depending on configuration. Your actual weight will be closer to the GVWR of 18,000.

The pin weight spec once again doesn't reflect your actual loading. You should plan on 20% of the GVWR sitting on the hitch; about 3,600 lbs. It could be higher or lower depending on how you're loaded.

If someone has told you that an F-250 has a towing capacity of 22,000 lbs, they might be confused. A max around 16,000 lbs is more likely, unless you go to a dual rear wheel (DRW) configuration, which puts you into an F-350.

If you've seen a 22,000 spec on an F-250, it might be the GCWR spec. That's the Gross Combined Weight Rating - the limit for combined weight ratings of truck and trailer. If your F-250 has a GVWR of 9,800, and the trailer GVWR is 18,000, the combined number is 27,800. A GCWR of 22,000 falls far short of what you need.

Most owners here would not consider towing an 18,000 trailer with an F-250. Some people might go with an F-350 SRW, but most recommend an F-350 DRW.

scottyb

Am I wrong??

Pallard, my 4100 has generator, patio, dual bunk beds, and 2nd AC whic now most are coming with 3 AC's now. The dry weight was around 14500 but the actual weight off the assembly line is 15346, as shown on the little yellow sticker inside the doorway. You add 6 point level up, dual pane windows, residential fridge, and whatever else it will probably be 15500 before you put anything in it. I assume you are looking at a toy hauler because you want to haul something in it. I should have my head examined for ever pulling it with my 3500, but now I know. I will repeat, fully loaded I am pushing the limits of my dually, 30150 lbs last time I weighed.

Jim.Allison

The empty weight of your F250 truck is not 9800 lbs. It would be easier for you to establish the GCVWR for your truck, it is absolutely the most important figure in establishing if you can tow your rig. IF you are outside this figure you need to absolutely stop and go back to square one.

Gross combined vehicle weight rating; is the curb weight of the truck, plus your hitch, hitch hardware, and any other item you have added to your rig, plus passengers, and fuel, PLUS the GVW (loaded not curb weight) of the fiver as published on the sticker on your rig.

The curb weight of your F250 is more like 7800 to 8000 lbs or depending on model. Using your figures it would be more like this; loaded weight of fiver 18,000 lbs plus 8000 lbs truck for 26000 lbs GCVW. If you use the 9800 figure you are adding payload to the GCVWR. Payload is not related to GCVWR.

If you are buying a truck for this fiver and you don't want a dually, you will most definitely save yourself a bunch by doing the math on a F350 or a RAM 3500. The 2015 RAM 3500 has outstanding towing capability it might provide the margin you are looking for. Your problem is that you seem to be rubbing up against DRW territory.

Tell us the exact Ford configuration you are looking for e.g. diesel, 4x4, crew cab etc so that we can get the GCVWR and work it out with you. Trying to figure it out with the simplistic method that they publish in their advertising is not good enough although it is close to correct its not as accurate as you need to be.

Am I wrong??

kjm1970

I have a 2014 F 250 4x4 SRW PSD with air bags, tuner and am pulling an Eagle Ridge 11,000lbs dry. I am about to order a Cyclone 4200 and while I know I can pull it (F250 and F350 share the same springs) and see many srw's pulling rigs that size. Just not sure. Thinking of buying the automated safety hitch, I mean I just spent over 70k on a new truck, to trade it in for a dually is ridiculous. I also have a 2000 F350 DRW 4x4 PSD but not anywhere near the power of the new one.

Jump in and give me some thoughts guys.

Thanks

danemayer

I have a 2014 F 250 4x4 SRW PSD with air bags, tuner and am pulling an Eagle Ridge 11,000lbs dry. I am about to order a Cyclone 4200 and while I know I can pull it (F250 and F350 share the same springs) and see many srw's pulling rigs that size. Just not sure. Thinking of buying the automated safety hitch, I mean I just spent over 70k on a new truck, to trade it in for a dually is ridiculous. I also have a 2000 F350 DRW 4x4 PSD but not anywhere near the power of the new one.

Jump in and give me some thoughts guys.

Thanks

The 4200 has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs, which will probably put you over the safe towing capability of any F250. In addition, the empty pin weight spec of the 4200 is 3525 lbs. But you should plan on around 20% of GVWR for a normally loaded rig. That'll put you around 4,000 lbs of pin weight. Add another 200 for your hitch, don't forget tools, pets, passengers, bed cover, bed liner, and anything else in the truck. The weight you'll be carrying will be close to 5,000 lbs. Most F250s have a payload spec of around 2,500 - maybe slightly higher. You'll be WAY overweight.

Will you have excess wear and tear on the truck? Maybe. Will the truck be unbalanced and handle poorly on wet roads and in emergencies? Maybe. Will the trailer wag the truck? Maybe.

Jim.Allison

yes I should have caught that, I selected SRW but it displayed DRW. We just talked about this the other day, on a different thread. But 4000 to 4500 and 17,310 on a 7000 lb truck is good too. What is the OP asking? Is his GCVWR 22000 lbs or what?

Here's a link to the RAM Towing Specs. Maybe I missed it, but it looks to me like to get a payload above 4550 and trailer max weight of 17,310 you have to go to a dually.

Birchwood

I am currently diving a brand new F250 Diesel for work and the power is good I think over 400 hp.The truck rides great compared to the older ones.
The dry weight of this truck(ext cab long box) is 8800 lbs.The GVWR on the door is stamped at 9900 lbs.The truck has a total of 3 leafs an the rear
with only two long leafs and one base leaf.The 12 ft cargo trailer I haul loaded with tools sags the truck and the box is empty.
Hauling a large fifth wheel like you own would severely overload this truck.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Forgive me if I missed it but weight ratings aside has anybody considered how your going to stop this thing once you get it moving?