Any tips/tricks first timers should know (2015 28pBHS)

NYcamper

Hello all
me and my wife just purchased a 2015 28pBHS. we are picking it up this weekend and any advice/tips would help thanks

danemayer

Hi NYcamper,

Congratulations on the new Prowler and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The most important thing to do is take your time with the walk through. If possible have someone else video it so you can watch it later. Make sure you understand how everything works. Try everything.

Winter's on the way, so make sure the dealer shows you how to winterize (show, not just tell). Locate all the controls and suction hose. Even if it's already winterized, make sure you know how to de-winterize.

If possible, stay a day or two at the dealer or nearby. That way any questions that arise can be easily addressed. Also, ask the service manager if they would be willing to correct any problems you might find during that stay, without having you drop the trailer off and wait in the service queue. Ask that question with the salesman and service manager together, before you sign the paperwork. They'll be motivated to say yes.

NYcamper

Thanks I think we are going t o spend the night if there is room at camping world and I will definitely mention fixing any problems that day before I sign

scottyb

Hello all
me and my wife just purchased a 2015 28pBHS. we are picking it up this weekend and any advice/tips would help thanks

It's better to do a shake down trip somewhere close, rather than head off on a major journey. Camp out at your house for a night or two if possible.

ILH

Some of the best "tricks" can be learned by arriving early at the campground, setting up your chairs and watching all the other rigs set up camp. You'd be amazed at all the cool tricks I've learned over the years.

And remember, don't ever be afraid to ask fellow campers for help. Everybody loves to help each other in a campground.

wdk450

Develop and use checklists. I have them for "Pre-Departure Inside", "Pre-Departure Outside, and "Arrival Set-up". I keep them on a clipboard under document protectors. You will still make mistakes, and have minor mishaps, learn from them, and add a new step to your checklists. Don't live in fear, but respect the big rig you are moving down the road, and all its complexities of being a vehicle/house.

NYcamper

[QUOTE =wdk450;384614 ]Develop and use checklists. I have them for "Pre-Departure Inside", "Pre-Departure Outside, and "Arrival Set-up". I keep them on a clipboard under document protectors. You will still make mistakes, and have minor mishaps, learn from them, and add a new step to your checklists. Don't live in fear, but respect the big rig you are moving down the road, and all its complexities of being a vehicle/house.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I am a bit nervous about pulling this thing behind my truck I have never Pulled anything this big

Snow

Leaks ,leaks, leaks stop them before they start , I baught plastic door kits and installed them in the storage so when I get set up I always remove the panel and check in behind the UDC where the city water comes in I check this at least three times a day discovered about 3 leaks befor they got to bad one was the outdoor shower and the other was on the hot water heater , had 2 under the kitchen sink I take a flashlight and look for leaks before bed every night , :crazy right : ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
[QUOTE =wdk450;384614 ]Develop and use checklists. I have them for "Pre-Departure Inside", "Pre-Departure Outside, and "Arrival Set-up". I keep them on a clipboard under document protectors. You will still make mistakes, and have minor mishaps, learn from them, and add a new step to your checklists. Don't live in fear, but respect the big rig you are moving down the road, and all its complexities of being a vehicle/house.

Thanks I am a bit nervous about pulling this thing behind my truck I have never Pulled anything this big

I suggest you pull it around your neighborhood a few times to get used to it, not to mention to see if your truck is correctly hitched and not overloaded.

Also, gas up before you hitch up if you can!

I just filled up my truck tonight (ironically, $100.00 even when the pump kicked off) as we are hitching up and hauling out in the morning for our last campout of the season.

The corner gas station has much better prices than those along the highway . . . but can't get in and out of there with the trailer hooked up!

Last edited:

olcoon

When we first got ours in April of 2010, the biggest thing I'd ever pulled was a 16' flatbed trailer. Quite a difference going from a 16' flatbed to a 30' 5th wheel! We went from a tent to a 5th wheel. Talk about nervous! I didn't pick it up from the dealer for a couple of weeks because rain was in the forecast on the days I wasn't working & I didn't want to pull it in the rain the first time out. First few trips I really didn't even want to change lanes! Now after a little over 30,000 miles it's not nearly as bad as the first few times pulling it. I've even gotten to the point that sometimes I'm pretty decent backing it into a campsite! Just like anything else it takes plenty of practice. Best advise I could give you is like others have said, do a good PDI, and check out all the plumbing to make sure it's tight. Also you might look through the past posts on here, and on other forums. Before we got ours I was on about 3 forums, even if someone is talking about a motor home, the systems are for the most part the same. Now I hardly look at the other forums, just check this one. I learned a lot about RV's and the lifestyle by reading the forums. We aren't full timers, but are any timers & it averages out we live in it about 6 months out of the year.

NYcamper

When we first got ours in April of 2010, the biggest thing I'd ever pulled was a 16' flatbed trailer. Quite a difference going from a 16' flatbed to a 30' 5th wheel! We went from a tent to a 5th wheel. Talk about nervous! I didn't pick it up from the dealer for a couple of weeks because rain was in the forecast on the days I wasn't working & I didn't want to pull it in the rain the first time out. First few trips I really didn't even want to change lanes! Now after a little over 30,000 miles it's not nearly as bad as the first few times pulling it. I've even gotten to the point that sometimes I'm pretty decent backing it into a campsite! Just like anything else it takes plenty of practice. Best advise I could give you is like others have said, do a good PDI, and check out all the plumbing to make sure it's tight. Also you might look through the past posts on here, and on other forums. Before we got ours I was on about 3 forums, even if someone is talking about a motor home, the systems are for the most part the same. Now I hardly look at the other forums, just check this one. I learned a lot about RV's and the lifestyle by reading the forums. We aren't full timers, but are any timers & it averages out we live in it about 6 months out of the year.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I also am going from a tent to a camper so it's a big step but I am exited and will definitely try and go out once or twice Before I winterize it

Miller0758

Join the owners club and get out to a rally with the NY gang and the Northeast gang ... You'll have a blast and meet lots of folks that are more than happy to help you and I promise, you'll leave looking forward to the next rally.