Commode backed up for the third time!

Georgia_Biker

We are on a two month's trip across New England starting from Georgia. We have already had several issues with or BH 360RE but, we are "road warriors".

Last night at about 2:00AM my wife went to the toilet and low and behold the commode was full of water and running over in the floor!

This is not the first time this has happened. We have tried to be sure the flush pedal is closed after use.

We have damaged door moldings at the bath and bedroom doors from the water. I am concerned about beneath the floor.

From now on when we are away we will shut the land water off. We'll do this until we get back to Georgia.

Are these commodes a problem with leaking?

Is there a better commode?

Thanks

jbeletti

Several members are getting the new Dometic 320. Looks Looks a real nice commode. That said, sounds like you only need a pedal valve replacement. Contact Thetford right away.

danemayer

Another Landmark owner staying in the park had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Toilet kept overflowing because the water valve wouldn't close. On his Thetford, the pedal mechanism was mangled on the inside. He replaced the lower half of the commode to fix the problem. But the lower half, including shipping, cost him enough that if it had been me, I would have replaced the entire commode and probably upgraded.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes it sounds like the shut off on the toilet is allowing water to fill your bowl after it has been flushed. I had one bust on me and I replaced it for around 50 bucks. But if you are still under warranty, I would call and have them send one to you. Somewhere ahead of your travels. Maybe a family member or a park where you will be staying. Many parks allow things to be sent to them. It is a real easy replacement and really requires no tools.

Georgia_Biker

Thanks Dan-

I bought an expensive extended warranty package from Good Sam when I purchased my Big Horn. I had several RV friends told me to buy every warranty I could get when I went to purchase my BH.

After being on the road for an extended time I have a growing list of things to have repaired when we return to Georgia.

We'll see.

Crumgater

Ours "leaks" on and off... we've gotten in the habit of turning off the pump anytime we leave the RV.
We'll probably add "new toilet" to the "to-do" list for next summer's prep work.

When hooked to city water, be sure you have a pressure regulator in the line.
I don't know why these valves fail (other than they're probably just plastic parts), but I'm sure high pressures would not help matters.

VKTalley

We are on a two month's trip across New England starting from Georgia. We have already had several issues with or BH 360RE but, we are "road warriors".

Last night at about 2:00AM my wife went to the toilet and low and behold the commode was full of water and running over in the floor!

This is not the first time this has happened. We have tried to be sure the flush pedal is closed after use.

We have damaged door moldings at the bath and bedroom doors from the water. I am concerned about beneath the floor.

From now on when we are away we will shut the land water off. We'll do this until we get back to Georgia.

Are these commodes a problem with leaking?

Is there a better commode?

Thanks

Larry, we had a similar problem after replacing the "flap" mechanism and having the floor pedal fall off with the water running and "flap" closed.....we opted to not replace the floor pedal but replaced the whole toilet with the one Jim Beletti mentioned, the Dometic 320. We really like it over the Thetford toilet that came with our Big Country.

donr827

This is a good reason to have one of those battery powered water alarms in the bathroom and other water leak areas.,,,,,Don