Factory Question on the 28RLS

R

rainbowillie

My wife and I both like the floorplan and features of the model 28RLS. The questions I will have shortly do not intend to reflect badly on this model - I want to make that clear. My wife likes this one above everyone else we've looked at so far. We will be new to the RVing family and plan on purchasing a lightweight model this year. I have been researching the many TTs out there - reading books, joining the forums here and RV.net, attending RV shows, visiting dealer lots, and joined the RV Consumer Group organization....all this hopefully with the purpose of making an informed buying decision. The Consumer Group (are you familiar with them?) provides ratings reports, and this is where my question comes from re: the 28RLS. They rate on Reliability, Value, and Highway Control on the various models. I hope you are familiar with this Group and their ratings. The 28RLS had recommended ratings (3 Star) in both Reliability and Value, but a poor rating in Highway Control. This HC rating gives a representation of the ability of the TT to be controlled by the driver, and the ability to respond to the driver's commands and be safe. Payload, axle capacity, hitch weight %s, and size are the primary factors. Are you aware if Heartland provided specifications to this Group, or is this Group using the correct specifications, on this model to accurately reflect the Highway Control rating? Thank you and appreciate your feedback.

jbeletti

Hey rainbowillie,

The North Trail is so new, I'd be surprised that an RV Consumer Group would already have accumulated data on this line.

We have pushed your message to Mike Creech, product manager for North Trail at Heartland in the hopes that he can weigh in on this one.

Jim

M

Mcreech

Jim is correct and I'd question where they got there information. I can tell you that nobody from that group contacted me about anything. I would say to you and Jim can back me up on this. There are owners of North Trails that will swear to you about the stability of this unit on the highways. Our Engineering dept. did a ton of research before we went with the Wide Trax Suspension System and it's main focus is on stability....you will not be disappointed if you purchase a North Trail, ican tell you that.
Mike C

CampingJunkie

We had our first outing this weekend in our new 28BHS and I was passed by many truckers with very little movement being felt. Other than feeling a slite push from the air, I never felt I was not in control. My feeling is that as long as you have an adequate TV, a proper hitch set up with sway control and drive 60-65 max, then there should be no lack of control issues IMHO. I was very pleased with how well the unit pulled.

R

rainbowillie

Thanks for the quick response everyone - that's what I wanted to hear, but I know you can't blame me for searching out info on all the various models out there. Mike - I wish they had talked to you direct on getting specification info. I feel like I need to give you a few more specifics on their report....they said the UVW is 5910lbs(w/o liquids but w/average optional equip); curb weight is 6299lbs (w/full liquids); GVWR is 6900lbs., so avail.net payload is 601lbs and that this payload to capacity ratio of 9% is deficient....that the TT could easily be overloaded. They are also saying that the hitch weight with options and full fresh water, but before personal items, could be 873lbs (14%) and loading for balance could be sensitive. If the fresh water tank is forward of the axles, the aver hitch weight could be as much as 1094lbs. They are stating that these are based upon the mfg'ers specs. Again, I'm not trying to be critical of anyone - just trying to get the facts if possible. We like the layout of the 28RLS and the dealer who we talked to last weekend. Just feelin a little uneasy about this highway control rating. Mike - if you wanted to contact me direct for further info re: this report or how to contact the RV Consumer Group, please do. Thanks again for the assistance.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have a 28BHS and have only towed it from the dealership to our home, but it consisted of about 60 miles of interstate travel and around 40 miles of 2 lane travel in the mountains. The North Trail was very stable and tracked well behind our tow vehicle. We did not notice any sway at all. We set up the WD hitch at the dealership and haven't had any problems.
Very Pleased!!

CampingJunkie

On our maiden voyage this weekend, we stopped at a Pilot and weighed just the TT. It came in at 5420. Full gas tanks, no fresh water and the black/gray tanks completely empty. We had added all our stuff and some bikes and electric scooters were onboard also. I don't think the weights you are quoting are very accurate based on my experience.

R

rainbowillie

On our maiden voyage this weekend, we stopped at a Pilot and weighed just the TT. It came in at 5420. Full gas tanks, no fresh water and the black/gray tanks completely empty. We had added all our stuff and some bikes and electric scooters were onboard also. I don't think the weights you are quoting are very accurate based on my experience.

Thanks for your reply on the 28BHS, but we're talking about two different models here....my questions are on the RLS - it is a different layout and could be different specs. By the way, the Consumer Organization rated the 28BHS as having a favorable Highway Control rating. I hope Mike C. will be able to research and respond to my questions. Thanks.

M

Mcreech

Rainbowillie,
It seems like they are looking at a different unit and not the North Trail. The specs of the 28 RLS is unloaded weight is 5290lbs and we only have 4 options (Aluminum rims, grill, 15 BTU A/C and pillow top mattress) only the grill would add weight. So the GVWR is 6900lbs and the unit with fluids would be maybe 5600lbs.....The info is so inaccurate that they can't be talking about a North Trail....

R

rainbowillie

Thank you Mike for your information and your replies. It's going to be hard to remove this rig as my wife's top choice so far!

M

Mcreech

it sounds like your wife is a smart lady. You will not be disappointed with the North Trail