Will a 1996 F250 3/4 ton diesel truck (auto trans) pull a 35 trse Elkridge FW ?

danemayer

Hi Georgiarose,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The Elkridge probably has a GVWR of 14,405, which suggests a pin weight of around 2,900 lbs. By the time you add the weight of your hitch, tools, pets, passengers, bed liner, bed cover, and anything else in the truck, you could easily be 1,000 lbs over the payload rating of the truck, which could cause you problems. Will the truck pull the trailer? It probably can, if the truck is in good shape and you stay on fairly level ground.

Let me suggest you visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing for more information on matching truck and trailer.

Jim.Allison

I'm dealing with this issue with one of the most modern and capable 3/4 ton trucks on the market. I can tell you this. Advertised weights are not what you will get. The pin weight will be for that fiver or series of fivers. Your axle and drive line may pull it, that is determined by your make and model and what the GCVWR is for it. Where the big problem is, is your suspension, then after that, your tire load rating. I can tell you that the spring and tires are your weak link assuming you are in the GCVWR. Airbags can help you level or adjust your truck, but the manufacturers are quick to tell you that they are not there to assist the springs, although that is the end result. But you can have a spring shop make you a set of springs, or perhaps you can find a set off of a 350 series at a salvage yard.

This is a can of worms you may not want to get into. What you wind up having is the tail wagging the dog or making your truck a slave to the trailer. Thats right before your transmission starts burping out transmission fluid because it is overheated. Research every parameter before you get into this. Start by determining what the GCVWR is. If it is exceeded, then stop there is nothing you can do. The entire truck is not capable, brakes, transmission being the primary problem. If it is within GCVWR then pin load, suspension and tire capacity is the problem. Always add the weight of the hitch and hitch hardware to your load. You will find that capacity evaporates a lot faster than you can create it. Good luck. BTW the diff is near bullet proof.