Thru the car wash with fuel cap off

C

Calliopeguy

I have a 2007 F-350 6.0 and for some reason it is still running! Last week I was in a hurry cuz there was nobody in line for the car wash so I dumped in $70 worth of diesel fuel, folded back my mirrors and and scooted over to the car wash. Since I haven't washed it in a while I took the motherload option (wash, wax, etc.) to get it really clean. I always carry a towel so after I got out of the car wash I ran around the truck and dried any water spots. It was then that I discovered I forgot to put the cap back on the fuel opening. Oh ya....I was having a good day. So then I thought well I thought I always saw a little metal flap under the normal cap but when I checked...nope...looks like a straight shot to the fuel. So now I have ????? water, soap, and wax shot straight into the fuel tank. My options??? take it into the shop, dump $70 of fuel, change the filters, get a loan, pay the bill and get on with life...or....just drive it and see what happens. So of course I just drove it. I added some anti-gel fluid because the bottle said it would help with the water (well thats what the Ford service tech said...and they just happen to sell the stuff). As long as everything else was going so well the temperature also was below zero so if there was any water in the fuel that should add to the thrill of the moment. So I drove it for a couple of days.....absolutely no problem...added 5 more gallon of diesel...drove some more...added 8 more gallons of diesel....then really pushed my luck and drove 520 miles (below zero). I can't believe it...the thing never even sputtered once!!! I am not a mechanic...I wouldn't even make a good pimple on a mechanics behind....so did I just luck out or is this thing ready to explode???? What would you have done??
Ken

Tom of Ypsi

I probably would have done the same thing you did but at first chance I would drain the fuel filter bowl on top of the engine where the water accumulates and change fuel filters. I doubt you did any damage to the engine and since the mechanic did not seem too concerned I would not be either.

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Washing your fuel

I'm not a diesel guru, but I'd guess as much as you've driven without problems you've gotten away with it. I would definitely check that sediment bowl though, and it would probably pay to change the fuel filter. Scary lesson though!

egnors

Get under the truck, about halfway down the driver's side rail and you'll see an oil filter looking unit, with a hex slot bolt in it. Thats the HFCM, horizontal fuel conditioning module. Get a bucket that fits under the truck, a 6mm hex, and take that bolt out of the unit to drain the module. should be about a quart all together. IF there's any water that got in, that module is where the water will be. The primary fuel filter in that can there has a water jacket on it that will keep the fuel water free. if the water in fuel light never came on, then you don't have anything to worry about. just to note, draining that module is supposed to be a once a month thing, like preventative maintenance, and change both fuel filters every 15K miles. There's also another drain plug that can be used in place of the standard Ford part, it has a larger knurled head on it that will allow you to just grab it with your hand and open it up. If your truck is 4X4, you might have a hard time getting the hex wrench into the head of the screw, since the front drive shaft is right in front of it.

Here's one place that sells the new drain plug, but there's a bunch out there. Just do a search for HFCM drain plug. They have a couple good pics on this page.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=939

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Roger,

My Chevy has the water trap on the bottom of the fuel filter. It also has a message on the dash to warn when it needs emptying.

ct0218

The only filter on a D/A GM truck is the one under the hood. That is a good idea though!