Greystone Fireplace Orange Color

brlr2000

We just purchased a 2014 Gateway 3500RE with the Greystone 36in fireplace. It works just fine, but we really don't care for the orange glow of the flames. Does anyone know if the 'display' can be changed to produce a more realistic flame...Some Yellow, Some Blue, and some Orange would be nice.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bruce and Linda,
Congratulations on your new Gateway. To the best of my knowledge, the color of the flames can not be changed. You might try calling the manufacturer to ask if anything can be done to change it. Some others may jump in here with different ideas. Trace

danemayer

The Greystone Fireplace manuals says there are 3 40 watt light bulbs that in conjunction with a flicker rod or other type of rotating device, distort the light so that it appears to be a flickering flame. I'm not sure what produces the color - but perhaps you could experiment with 40 watt colored light bulbs to see if you can get something more to your taste.

1_oldgoat

Congrats on your new Gateway, we have the same year model and love it so far, very few problems, but i just noticed after our trip home from Montana last week the fireplace.insert is falling out, does anyone know how it is attached to the door?? I see on the back four what i assume to be carriage bolts and nothing else. The HUG Section dosn't show anything i can find anyway.
We need to get the last bit of warrenty work finished before it runs.out next month but had planned on taking off for a few more weeks. If this is something simple i.will repair it myself, however not seeing any bolts holding it on makes me wonder how it is mounted?? Do i have to tear apart the surround?? Any help appreciated, i haven't checked.to see if it still works, hopeing it does with cooler temps and headed to cold weather for the.last trip of the year would love.the extra heat.

MCTalley

I'm thinking that removing the bulbs and fake logs/flicker mechanism and putting an appropriate sized LCD monitor/TV in there, hooked to a computer....

Maybe different colored bulbs might be easier.

brlr2000

1-oldgoat, I see 4 phillips head screws onthe front top and bottom that may be holding part of the fireplace together. Otherwise, only the four bolts on the back side are all I can see.

1_oldgoat

Thanks, yea the four carriage bolts i see and the screws for the cover, i am guessing the cover has to come off to get to any nuts or other hardware holding the insert into the surround. I'll let you know when i tear it apart tomorrow.

1_oldgoat

Trying to decide how to tackle the fireplace being loose in the surround, or off and out completely on one side i found the cover does not come.off easily at all, the HUG manual for the greystone fireplace insert is incorrect, mine does not have a bottom piece that opens up to get to bulbs, nor does it have a control panel that opens for access to functions of operation, my controls are on the outside top right corner.
Back to the subject at hand, the insert falling out of the surround, while deciding if i should remove.the cover of the fireplace i noticed the bottom is locked in place with bends in the sheet metal, the insert would have to be completely removed to get the cover off.
Looking with a flashlight there are brackets that are bolted to the surround and simply by lifting the insert and pulling back it pops right out, installing is a little more difficult because of not being able to see or feel the holes on the back of the insert, but after a little wiggle here and there i i got it to slip onto the brackets and slide into place. Just need a new surround now from where the insert chewed it up bouncing around.
Bruce, didn't mean to hijack your thread here, anyway if you lift up and pull out your insert you may find access to the bulbs from the backside.

Last edited: