Moveable island casters

jimpav

Just wondering how many folks have replaced the 2" casters with larger ones on their moveable island? I worry about the strength of the OEM ones, to include the dents made in the floor. "EDDHUY" posted a while ago about his replacement, but there were no details of the installation. I have looked around to try to find some 2 1/2" casters, but could not find any. Also, I couldn't find any size casters with the same hole/mounting configuration. Lastly, how could someone lift/support the island to replace the wheels even if they wanted to?????

Hi jimpav,

I have not considered replacing the casters on the moveable island. I was concerned about dents in the floor and we place carpet scraps under the casters. I lift each end of the island and my wife slides the carpet under the casters.

If I needed to replace the casters, I would empty everything out of it and put down a rug or something to protect the island and turn it on to one of it's sides or an end. Its fairly heavy so would probably need help to turn it and stand it back up when done.

I hope this helps you.
Don

jimpav

Thanks Don for the suggestions! It seems the dents in the floor somehow magically disappear after about a couple of days. I thought larger diameter casters would make the island easier to roll around, and make the deep dents less deep. I like the idea of moving the island vice the stationary type, as it's nice to move it out of the way when packing our two bikes on the rear couch. I can't imagine turning it on it's side without breaking something. The difficult thing is find casters with a mounting configuration that would fit. My quest continues........

GOTTOYS

I dented my floor in several places by sitting on a chair. I would think it would hold up to that..I don't have a movable island, but if I did I would eliminate any casters and carpet the bottom so it would be easy to slide but would put an even pressure on the floor and not dent it....Don

jimpav

I dented my floor in several places by sitting on a chair. I would think it would hold up to that..I don't have a movable island, but if I did I would eliminate any casters and carpet the bottom so it would be easy to slide but would put an even pressure on the floor and not dent it....Don

I like that idea, Don, but with the casters you can lock down the wheels so the island doesn't move during transit. There are four tie downs, but I don't think they would hold the island stable enough.