Curt 20k Hitch - Opinions?

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
Would like to know how people like the curt hitch. I will be installing in a 2007 3500 Dodge. Will be towing a cyclone 3210.

Thanks

jbeletti

I like mine. It take some getting used to. Especially unhitching. I find that I need to take a bit of weight off the hitch to be able to more easily disengage the jaws.

Jim

yrusohi

Curt 20k

I like mine as well. I have it installed in an F450 and pull the 4012 with no troubles. I am with Jim though, takes a little getting used to with hitch and unhitch jaws. The only thing I wish I could do is manually close the hitch after unhitching instead of having to close the jaws with a hammer.

kognito

I have never had an issue un-hitching, but you guys do know that if you pull the handle to un-lock, then flip the little lock lever, you can keep the hitch in the unlock position and then pull your truck out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a technique I use for unhitching that may be a help to some. Once my rig is level side to side, I put my chocks in place and lock them. Front landing gear in place. All this time I am still hitched. Once everything is in place, I put the truck in reverse to relieve the pressure on the jaws. Unlock the jaws then get back in the truck and pull out. Sometimes I'll have Lin do the truck part while I release the jaws. Either way works great and the chocks keep the trailer from going anywhere.