LED lighting

RVFun4Us

I believe all of the new Heartland RVs now come with LED lighting. I was wondering whether I could replace the bulbs in my 3055 with LED bulbs or would I have to get the entire unit (base and bulb)?

rxbristol

I've found they make LEDs to fit most standard applications. You'll find what your looking for with a little surfing.

RVFun4Us

Guess I should have worded my question differently. Would the LED bulbs be compatible in my light sockets or do I have to buy the entire lighting unit? CW sells individual bulbs as well as the entire unit.

Garypowell

You can find LED bulbs on line and that is all you need. I would not buy them from Camping World as they are too expensive. Someone on this forum turned me on to www.superbrightleds.com and they have been an excellent supplier. As mentioned above you have to do a little digging and know your base, etc. But in general it is fairly simple....just have to do a little work.

probably the most perplexing is determining just how bright a given LED is. It's kind of like trying to learn the metric system....they don't use the same intensity units. I started by buy 1 of different brightness so I could see the difference for myself. If the light was too dim for the main cabin I used it to replace the under the stair light which does not need to be as bright to work at night. So I found a use for all that I initially bought.

I recently bought a light bar from them to put in our closet instead of 2 of the standard fixtures. Where the fixture holes where I put in a 3-way switch system so no matter which way you look into the close you can turn on the light that lights up the whole closet....a lot better than two independent fixtures.

Lynn1130

Check Ebay. You can get them in packets of 10 for about $3 a bulb in what ever replacement type you need. I have replace everything in the rig with LED and have had no issues for over two years. Do a search here for more threads with more info.

danemayer

Guess I should have worded my question differently. Would the LED bulbs be compatible in my light sockets or do I have to buy the entire lighting unit? CW sells individual bulbs as well as the entire unit.

LEDs come in a number of different form factors, base/pin configurations, output (lumens), and color temperature. You need to try to match the replacement bulb so it fits into the housing (form factor), fits electrically (pin config), similar brightness (lumens), and similar color temp (probably warm white).

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Websites like SuperBrightLEDs and others have pictures and will help you figure it out.

Crumgater

We've replaced nearly all the bulbs in our Elkridge with LED's... simple bulb replacement only.
LOVE the result.

Went from an overheated 120W (10W each) living room switch to a cool 15W's (1.2W each) all at the same brightness - or actually, brighter now, since I can turn all the bulbs on without worrying about the switch catching fire!

A bonus - I don't burn my fingers anymore when I go to turn off the light over the bed...

... I was wondering whether I could replace the bulbs in my 3055 with LED bulbs or would I have to get the entire unit (base and bulb)?

You can replace the bulb with an LED. There's no need to replace the entire fixture.

Here's where a friend ordered his LEDs: www.rv-led.com
They are a US based company and have a lifetime warranty on the bulb replacement style LEDs.

bsuds

These sites that have been recommended are way overpriced compared to ordering from China direct.
Try Buyincoins.com or AliExpress.com I paid less than $2.00 per bulb and did my 2011 big Country for less than $50. total
Order the ones with fewer LED's for the storage areas and outside lights where you don't need lots of brightness.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Last year, we replaced all of the interior lights and the basement light bulbs, including the three 120V lamps we use, with LED's. I had them in the dining table light, but they weren't quite bright enough, so I put the original bulbs back in. I need to look for a brighter LED for that application.

I got all of the 12V LED's on eBay. If you look, you may discover that the US distributors are selling the same Made in China LED's as what you can get direct (on eBay) from China for less. The 120V LED's we got from Cree (via Home Depot) are Assembled in USA, however there is no indication of where the parts came from.

At any rate, they all work great, use less power, generate less heat, and I'm not constantly replacing bulbs anymore. Seemed like I'd get at least 6 burn-outs of the incandescent 1141 bulbs each summer.

JohnDar;386593... Seemed like I'd get at least 6 burn-outs of the incandescent 1141 bulbs each summer.[/QUOTE said:
I'd get two or three burned out each summer. The switch to LEDs has solved that problem, plus it drastically cut the power consumption.

I contacted the site I linked above ( www.rv-led.com ) and asked about special "group buy" pricing. They set up a coupon code to enter at checkout: heartland

It gets 10% off.