Loose Antenna

azbigfoot

I was inspecting the roof today. Noticed some of the screwheads were raised on the rear side of the antenna mounting plate. Tried to to tighten them down but they seemed stripped. After further inspection there is a hard stop on the antenna that is supposed to prevent it from being brought down too far. Unfortunately the slope of the roof caused the antenna mast to hit first and the hard stop never came into play. What happened was the leverage from the antenna mast was enough to lift the one end of the mounting bracket up and pull the screws up. The 1+" screws are only in 1/4" plywood (maybe 3/8").

I scraped off the dicor, removed antenna, cleaned up the roof, and reattached. Lesson learned ... don't crank your antenna down too far ... although I never really thought I did. I'm going to try to modify the hard stop to raise it a little. I think the correct way to do it is to buy a spacer that Winegard sells for sloping roofs. Unfortunately Heartland didn't use the spacer during installation.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't think you can lower the antenna too far . . .

One thing I found on my new 2015 Prowler was that there was too much caulking around the base of the antenna keeping it from spinning around freely!

How rare is that?

Too much of something . . .