Anyone having trouble with warranty work?

rono

Hello everyone. I'm currently a Big Horn owner and thinking of buying another Big Horn next spring ( either a 3160 or 3260). The dealer our town is thinking of jettisoning their heartland products because of heartland not standing behind their warranty. They also said that they were tired of not being able to compete with dealers in other states on price because they were not getting the break on price that other dealers are getting. So that brings me to ask this forum how they like their bighorn. I think dealer is just belly aching cause when we bought or current bighorn we were able to buy it for $9 K less at a dealer in adjoining state.

danemayer

Hi rono,

I think sometimes dealers try different techniques to try and steer customers to whatever they want to sell - usually what's on the lot. So if they want to sell brand X and you want to buy brand y, they have to give you a story to convince you that brand x is the one you want.

EPaulikonis

Sounds like a bunch of bunk from the dealer. Just purchased a Landmark in FL a few months back and Heartland did an good job working with me, the dealer in FL, and my local RV shop in Troy, OH, to resolve the handful of issues that couldn't be fixed on the spot during delivery. Heartland approved all warranty claims with one exception, a claim on a Frigidaire residential refrigerator. The shop in OH was willing to do the work, but Heartland wouldn't approve because Frigidaire required all warranty work to be handled through a certified Frigidaire technician or they'd void warranty. Heartland did their part to support the product they delivered.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My RV repair shop here in town is not a dealer but does HL warranty repairs. They love the way HL works with them on warranty repairs. Maybe your dealer has tried to pull a fast one on HL and just maybe HL is going to drop them.

SeattleLion

You know how to tell when a RV salesman is lying? His lips are moving.

The truth is that Heartland is great on warranty. We have a long list of things that needed doing on our 2014 3160 (They are good on warranty, but not so good on finish quality), Without any problem Heartland not only agreed to the work, but they called the dealer to make sure they would do all on my list. I had sent the to-do list to Heartland customer service as well as my dealer. Before the Bighorn I had a Kodiak TT. It was nothing but trouble. Same dealer, same good service, but Dutchmen (now Keystone), another Thor company, gave the dealer a ton of grief.

Hunter11

I agree with Bob, we have not had any issues so far getting warranty work approved by Heartland. The problem is we have had way to much of it and more to look forward to.

Travis798

It may depend on circumstance. I just dropped off my Bighorn at a independent repair shop for warranty work on a heater fuse that kept blowing. The problem was in a wire that is inaccessible without tearing the rig down and Heartland would not authorize a repair of that size for a single wire. They would only authorize having another mechanical thermostat ran somewhere else in the trailer that would be easier to run wiring.

To me, that is absolutely not standing behind a warranty and it may be similar things that your dealer has ran into and decided to drop them.

azbigfoot

Warranty work through my dealer ... nope ... all they want to do is sell units. After three tries waiting 4-6 weeks each time I quit trying with the dealer. I'd trust an RV dealer as much as a car dealer ... not at all.

Calling Heartland directly and using Mobile RV Techs or a qualified rv repair shop ... yep ... easy and timely. Did I expect problems ... yep. Do I fix most myself ... yep. Does Heartland help me get them fixed ... yep. Do I have any major problems ... nope. I'd buy one again.

brianlajoie

Warranty work through my dealer ... nope ... all they want to do is sell units. After three tries waiting 4-6 weeks each time I quit trying with the dealer. I'd trust an RV dealer as much as a car dealer ... not at all.

Calling Heartland directly and using Mobile RV Techs or a qualified rv repair shop ... yep ... easy and timely. Did I expect problems ... yep. Do I fix most myself ... yep. Does Heartland help me get them fixed ... yep. Do I have any major problems ... nope. I'd buy one again.

X2 - I just dropped my trailer off with a mobile tech that was RVIA/RVDA certified. We spent a couple of hours just going over a few warranty issues I wanted looked at. The tech found an issue with my slide toppers I didn't know even existed - he pulled out the manual and showed me that the dealer forgot to use a set screw to prevent the topper from creeping along the slide. I also recieved a wealth of info on the furnace, tires and other topics. Heartland is helping us through our process. Zero complaints.

bob34787

dealer BS , not only has HL worked with my local dealer, thy even sent me a check for work I had done while on vacation, they also have been very helpful working
with the techs working on my RV

Miltp920

I am going on 3 months waiting on warranty parts. I told them to mail them to me and I would repair the issues.
Who do I write to/ call at heartland to get hooked up with one of these certified mobile RV techs?

X2 - I just dropped my trailer off with a mobile tech that was RVIA/RVDA certified. We spent a couple of hours just going over a few warranty issues I wanted looked at. The tech found an issue with my slide toppers I didn't know even existed - he pulled out the manual and showed me that the dealer forgot to use a set screw to prevent the topper from creeping along the slide. I also recieved a wealth of info on the furnace, tires and other topics. Heartland is helping us through our process. Zero complaints.

danemayer

I am going on 3 months waiting on warranty parts. I told them to mail them to me and I would repair the issues.
Who do I write to/ call at heartland to get hooked up with one of these certified mobile RV techs?

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you the status of parts orders and should be able to point you to known servicers in your area.

brianlajoie

X2 with danemayer. I found 3 RVIA/RVDA certified techs in Colorado by searching the web. Update - My tech has emailed Heartland and copied me on the two issues he found. 4 day turn around - wahoo!

We are having problems and haven't even taken delivery yet. We purchased a 2015 BH 3570 two weeks ago. There is a problem with the Frigidaire refrigerator. Can't get an answer from the dealer as to how they are going to resolve it. Last communication was last Wednesday and they were waiting for a warranty service provider to send a tech to see what the problem is. They won't let the coach off the lot until it's fixed so we are in limbo.

danemayer

We are having problems and haven't even taken delivery yet. We purchased a 2015 BH 3570 two weeks ago. There is a problem with the Frigidaire refrigerator. Can't get an answer from the dealer as to how they are going to resolve it. Last communication was last Wednesday and they were waiting for a warranty service provider to send a tech to see what the problem is. They won't let the coach off the lot until it's fixed so we are in limbo.

Did they tell you what the problem was with the Frigidaire?

Timeout

Having trouble on paint warranty> We have a key largo 2015 and Heartland is not willing to cover the Hrs Camping World is asking to repair the paint. Also is it normal to see Bugs painted over on a RV? Now we have to take Rv and bring it home as they can't finish the repairs.

danemayer

Having trouble on paint warranty> We have a key largo 2015 and Heartland is not willing to cover the Hrs Camping World is asking to repair the paint. Also is it normal to see Bugs painted over on a RV? Now we have to take Rv and bring it home as they can't finish the repairs.

Hi Timeout,

I assume Heartland has asked you to get other quotes. Other people in the past have reported extremely wide variations in how much different vendors ask for paint jobs.

Even though you're not putting in an insurance claim, you might call your insurance company to see if one of the adjusters can give you recommendations on a paint shop. They'll know who can do a quality job at a reasonable price.

Timeout

This is brand new rv and I thought it is warranty issues, Purchased it at Camping World where the rig is now.