carry bicycles

etcmss

researching the best method of carrying bicycles with our Big Horn. Numerous inputs say no to using the rear ladder, too much bounce..etc. Yet some of these same people hang step ladders from there. Ladder supposedly rated to 30#.
So with no rear trailer receiver (the 1/4 one is pretty small for this) and no bumper I'm at a loss on how to carry the bikes.
Gary

Birchwood

I have been carrying our two bikes in the basement.Removing the front tire and seat they set upright and you never have to worry about them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can also lay a clean tarp on the bed, remove the front tires, and lay the bikes on the tarp. We did that when we had a TT and, on occasion, with the Bighorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lance & Jo

This is second generation of this hitch, first one was on the original Lippert pin box. Have around 18K miles with it now and still really like it.2. Bike Rack.JPG

EPaulikonis

I'm facing a similar search for bikes while towing a Landmark. I'm seriously considering buying a Thule setup to put on the roof of the truck. Not what I really wanted to do, but there's no good alternatives for adding to the trailer and there's not enough room in the bed or between the bumper and front compartment of the trailer. Goodness of the TV roof mounted rack is it will provide flexibility to carry the bikes and a kayak or port-a-boat when the time comes.

EPaulikonis

Is this a custom made setup or something offered by Lippert? Guess I should look a little closer at MorRyde to see if I can find or fabricate a similar setup. Much prefer this to adding anything on the TV.

This is second generation of this hitch, first one was on the original Lippert pin box. Have around 18K miles with it now and still really like it.View attachment 32073

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We went with the folding bike option. They store easily in the front storage bay.

52mfz9.jpg

14t4ydg.jpg

Lance & Jo

Is this a custom made setup or something offered by Lippert? Guess I should look a little closer at MorRyde to see if I can find or fabricate a similar setup. Much prefer this to adding anything on the TV.

Custom I made both versions, very easy to do. Wish I could take credit for the idea but first saw it on the forum and again at the 2011 Goshen ralley, where I changed to the Trail Air hitch.

BLHFUN

I'm facing a similar search for bikes while towing a Landmark. I'm seriously considering buying a Thule setup to put on the roof of the truck. Not what I really wanted to do, but there's no good alternatives for adding to the trailer and there's not enough room in the bed or between the bumper and front compartment of the trailer. Goodness of the TV roof mounted rack is it will provide flexibility to carry the bikes and a kayak or port-a-boat when the time comes.

Thats what I did. For us, this was the easiest and cleanest way to get it done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 92

ShaneHess

Hi there! We were in the same boat, but I decided to take matters into my own hands. I bought some metal, and welded up my own rack to hold the bikes and few other light items. Then I took our Bighorn down to a professional, and had them weld on two receivers to the frame. Now we can slide the rack in, carry our bikes, and we put some bins for all the sewer hoses, etc., and our blue boy
this thing is stout! Doesn't bounce hardly at all, and solved our problem!! As long as we keep the items light, it doesn't affect the weight on our rear axle. We are a weighing team with RVSEF, so we have weighed our unit MANY times ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 78

davebennington

I have tried carrying bikes on our rig many different ways.

First: a 2 in receiver mounted on the TrailAir Hitch, that works well but it does create other problems.
1. you have
to stand on the tailgate to mount/un-mount the bikes, and then try to get them to the ground.
2. if you cover the bikes, the cover only last 1 season.
3. I found that with the bikes on the front of the trailer you get a negative wind effect, when they are covered it is really bad.

Second: tried a rear mount on the trailer not a good thing way too much bounce and you cannot keep an eye on what
is happening even with a rear view camera.

Third: Went back to the TrailAir hitch mount and put up with the wind buffeting, this time I used a Swagman bike rack
very good heavy duty rack very stable.

We have a couple of folding bikes also however we only use them when we are going to be camping in an area that is on flat ground(single speed bikes). They are carried in the storage area.

Lastly I would NEVER try to carry any bike(s) on then front of the truck I believe it creates too much restriction of air flow to the radiator.

dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi there! We were in the same boat, but I decided to take matters into my own hands. I bought some metal, and welded up my own rack to hold the bikes and few other light items. Then I took our Bighorn down to a professional, and had them weld on two receivers to the frame. Now we can slide the rack in, carry our bikes, and we put some bins for all the sewer hoses, etc., and our blue boy
this thing is stout! Doesn't bounce hardly at all, and solved our problem!! As long as we keep the items light, it doesn't affect the weight on our rear axle. We are a weighing team with RVSEF, so we have weighed our unit MANY times ;)

Shane, that looks like a nice setup! I see vertical taillights on the sides of the rear cap. Did you install those yourself? How did you do it? Looks very professional!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etcmss

thanks to all---still want more inputs as well. so I'm faced with get folding bikes.
so far the best answer is the added 2 inch receiver on each side of rear frame. so what would it take to get the Heartland people to give us a rear choice of at last one centered 2 inch receiver?
(some ATF person could answer here?)
Gary

danemayer

thanks to all---still want more inputs as well. so I'm faced with get folding bikes.
so far the best answer is the added 2 inch receiver on each side of rear frame. so what would it take to get the Heartland people to give us a rear choice of at last one centered 2 inch receiver?
(some ATF person could answer here?)
Gary
Gary,

This question has been asked and answered before. Lippert makes the frame and they don't support putting 2" receivers on their frames. Lots of people add them, but Heartland isn't going to put on something that would void the frame warranty.

Miller0758

I installed a 2" front receiver and use that for a bike mount. I also use it for a goal post rack to support kayaks and am able to mount the bike rack at the same time..

8amps

We have a long bed truck and have put the 2 regular (non-folding) mountain bikes in the back of the truck (near rear window) and that has worked for us. Plenty of room and not had any problem with bikes hitting front of camper. Any reason that we're not thinking of that this is not a good idea?

Gizzy

DW rides an adult tricycle, installed a 2 inch receiver on the front of the TV and load it on a cargo carrier. Been working good for over 4 yrs and 30,000 miles. Easy to load/unload.