Heartland authorized easy fixes instead of proper fixes?

Travis798

I recently took my 2013 Bighorn 3855fl in for service before the warranty ran out. I could not find a Heartland dealer that could get it in in a reasonable to me amount of time as most places were 6-8 weeks to look at it, so I took it to an independent rv repair facility.

My main problem with the fifth wheel was that the heater kept blowing the fuse. The facility I took the trailer to called me and said they had traced the problem down to a certain section of wiring between the furnace and the thermostat. After talking to Heartland they established that the section of wiring is not accessible without tearing the rig apart, and Heartland would not authorize that much work for a single wire. The only option the repair place said Heartland left them was to install a separate, mechanical thermostat somewhere in the rig where wiring could be ran.

I went ahead and authorized this because I need the trailer back and I was left feeling like I had no other choice. I was also informed that Heartland will not pay for diagnostic time so I'll be on the hook for time it took the facility to track down the bad wire.

So now I'm left with a trailer that I paid very good money for, with a separate thermostat for the furnace only that has to be installed toward the front of the trailer to look even half right, with a section of wiring ran through a cabinet, instead of having things as they were from factory.

I purchased a Bighorn because I had read about the ease of Heartland warranties, but this experience has insured my next trailer will not be a heartland product.

I know this may seem like small potatoes to some after reading some of the problems others have had, and maybe it is, but what is right is right and what is not is not. I don't think any of us would be happy with purchasing a vehicle, having some kind of problem with a headlight, and having the auto manufacture say it's too hard to fix right so they are just going to bolt headlights down to the hood and run wiring down the hood to them.

It saddens me to have this be my first post to this forum, as up until this I was extremely happy with my trailer. I have been bragging up Heartland quality to everyone, and recommending them to those in the market. After this warranty experience and learning Heartland will not spend the money to fix something correctly, I can no longer recommend them and can only hope nobody buys one of their products based on a prior recommendation.

danemayer

Hi Travis798,

Sorry you've had this bad experience, but a couple of things jump out.

First, the thermostat usually controls a relay box that's located under the living room A/C. That control box turns the furnace on and off as well as operating the A/C unit. So when your servicer told you and Heartland that they traced the problem down to a wire between thermostat and furnace, that sounds like they don't know what they're talking about and are proposing an inappropriate repair.

That may be why Heartland wouldn't cover the work.

I'm also wondering if you had prior authorization from Heartland to use this service company. Heartland is usually pretty flexible about using non-Heartland dealers for service, but they do require prior authorization.

I'm assuming you'd like to get back to the normal configuration of one thermostat. If you can find a tech who knows what they're doing, and are authorized, you can probably get the original problem fixed. And I would think it would be covered under warranty.

Travis798

Hello danemayer,

If memory serves, the tech just told me that it was a wire from the thermostat in an inaccessible location. Saying between the thermostat and furnace is my words. My trailer may be different since it is a front living room. The thermostat in the living room only controls the front A/C, and the thermostat in the middle of the trailer controls the furnace and the bedroom A/C in the back of the trailer. They just told me that they spent some time on the phone with Heartland and determined that the section of wiring causing the problem was in an inaccessible location and would require tearing down the trailer and Heartland advised that they would not cover that for a single wire.

I had called Heartland prior to taking my trailer anywhere and they advised me that my closest authorized repair center was close to 80 miles away but I could use anybody I wanted as long as they faxed a written estimate prior to making the repairs, which is what I did. The place I took my trailer is still about 60 miles away, but the Heartland dealer couldn't touch it for 6-8 weeks, which I found unacceptable.

It's too late to get back to my normal thermostat configuration, as I need the trailer and allowed them to fix it as per Heartlands authorization, so it has already been installed and removing it would leave a nice hole in my wall.

It's possible that Heartland didn't want to authorize a major repair because by the time I finished dealing with them about my registration they claimed they never got when I purchased the coach, which took over a week to get sorted out, and the time it took the service center to get to my trailer, my warranty had expired. Heartland is covering what they are covering because I had called about the problem and started trying to get the warranty situation sorted before the expiration of the warranty. I'm sure they don't want to spend the money for major repairs on a trailer now officially out of warranty, but doing so would be what is right.

Heartland has managed to save a little money with the decision to not authorize a proper repair, but in doing so they have insured that my next trailer will not be a Heartland brand nor will I recommend them to anybody.

I should have learned from my first Heartland trailer. I bought a cheapo Trail Runner that I had tons of problems with. Everything was fixed under warranty until my warranty was close to expiration. With about a month left on my warranty I had a section of skirting fly off the trailer while traveling down the road. Heartland would not cover replacing the skirting and claimed that they no longer even had access to that particular skirting, so it could not be replaced. The problems experienced with that trailer combined with an expiring warranty led me to sell it at a $10,000 loss just to get out from under it. While the Bighorn has been much better quality, the lack of warranty towards the end of the warranty period seems to be the same.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Travis798,
First of all, I'm sorry for your problems and that you are frustrated.

I would like to be a fly on the wall during the conversation between some of the repair shops and HL. The HL rep can only go by the description that the shop is giving them. If they said it was impossible to fix it in a OEM manner and that they had another alternative, HL most likely agreed to it. I don't think HL's practice is to approve shoddy warranty work.

The point being, the repairman is the eyes on the job. If he says no, it's impossible to do it this way or that and it's not a common problem (one HL sees often), his word can probably sway a decision by HL one way or the other.
I have spent years pulling and fishing wire and cable. In most cases there is always a way to replace an existing wire run in a satisfactory manner. Trace

Last edited:

Roller4tan

My thinking (and i may be wrong, at least the DW often says i am), is that the thermostat wire runs up the wall to the ceiling and follows the ceiling to the ac.heater control box. Unless the wire is completely severed, a new wire could be spliced and pulled through. From what I've seen of the wiring in these units, I doubt if they're stapled anywhere... Just my 2 cents

dbbls59

I understand your frustration since the unit is under warranty. Heartland should repair it like it came from the factory.

stevenssr

Have you talked to Heartland since the original phone call about service centers? They may have an entirely different story about what was discussed between them and repair shop. Something just doesn't sound right here. My suspicion is that they never talked to Heartland about their intended repair and took the easy way out. Im guessing though. I've used an independent RV repair facility on a "short" repair under warranty and the shop did some pretty significant changes to prevent it from happening again. I suspect the repair shop may not be telling you the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis798

Well this thread did get me a call from Heartland. They are looking into this now. The Heartland Rep that called me does have the name of the person at Heartland my tech talked to, and he was checking into alternatives but apparently Heartland has already quit making the 3855fl so he is having a hard time. The Heartland rep did verify that the tech has already ran the new thermostat, and when the tech called me for authorization he told me that is what Heartland approved, so for now I have to assume that everything I have been told from my service center is the truth.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Let me make sure I understand this. The tech had already done the "mickey mouse" repair and then called you?? Yea buddy...I would have been livid at that point. The tech had no right to make any repairs with out calling you 1st. I bet he jambed HL with alot more $$ than the time he spent and then charged you for what HL would not pay. Because HL figured out they were being over charged. I have never found any wiring in my Horn that I could not repair or replace. All interior walls are hollow and you can run/pull wires all day long without any problems. Too bad you could not have had someone with volt/ohm meter test all the wiring coming from the T-stat to the heater 1st. For all you know there was a loose screw at the T-stat wiring. Did the tech show you all the reading from his wiring tests? Was it a short to ground or an open circuit in the T-stat wiring? Since you had to pay some of the labor time. You are intitled to know what was done and how the tech arrived at his diagnoses. Sometimes being in a hurry can cost you......"the hurrier I go the behinder I get". I think you were fed a line of BS from the tech. JMHO

Travis798

The tech did call me for authorization before making the repair that was authorized by heartland. I gave him the go ahead because he said that fix is what heartland would approve. This was verified by the heartland rep telling me he had the name of the person the rep talked to and he was trying to figure out a better way to make the repair himself. The problem was a short in the wiring.

It is my understanding that the wiring is ran through the ceiling. If the wiring runs from the furnace to the ac then to the thermostat that would put the wiring running from towards the front of the 40' trailer, to the rear, then back to the middle.

The heartland rep told me he was having trouble finding out exactly how the wiring is ran because they discontinued that model. That leads me to believe the heartland tech that my tech talked to also had trouble finding the information, which may explain why he authorized the repair the way he did in the first place.

I have a feeling I'm just going to end up getting screwed on this, as the only viable options I see to make this right is to allow me to take the trailer to a heartland service center at my convenience for a proper repair, including fixing the hole created for the new thermostat that heartland authorized or replacing my trailer with a comparable model, which I don't see heartland doing.

I guess I'll just spend the next 10 years relaying my story to anyone looking at a new trailer to steer them away from heartland products. My brother is happy this happened now as he is in the market for a new trailer and now has one less manufacturer to have to choose from

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Travis,
I'm trying to visualize how this was repaired. How is it the repair of one wire can be that catastrophic? What did they do, staple wire straight across the ceiling?
The original statement of "tearing the whole rig apart" to fix it right, (really, to fix one wire??) has me a bit confused.

I say your complaint is with the repair tech. You authorized him to proceed and now you don't like it.
HL authorized partial payment of the repair to expedite things for you, at the shop you requested.
I doubt that the HL rep got a blow by blow, inch by inch description of exactly how the repair was to be done.

Again, I regret the fact you are unhappy. However my suggestion is to try to get past this and enjoy your rig.

Trace

Last edited:

Travis798

I thought I had replied to this several days ago, but it's just as well that I didn't as I now have more to add anyway.

I heard from my Heartland rep today. Apparently one wire can be catastrophic because they ran the wires before the roof was put on. This is what the rep told me. He said that he had talked to several people and the service department, and they all told him that running a new thermostat for the heater would be the only way to correct the problem because according to them, the wiring is completely inaccessible.

I don't know why they can't fish wires through since they should be able to get to both sides of the wiring, but according to Heartland, not my repair tech, it's just not possible. Therefore my original complaint of Heartland authorizing easy repairs instead of proper ones holds true.

Heartland is not blameless in this instance. They openly admitted to me today that they ran the wiring on that trailer in such a way that if you ever have problems with it, you can't fix it correctly. I would consider this a catastrophic manufacturer defect that would warrant a proper fix or replacement of the trailer if they cannot fix it, but apparently Heartland does not.

Travis,
I'm trying to visualize how this was repaired. How is it the repair of one wire can be that catastrophic? What did they do, staple wire straight across the ceiling?
The original statement of "tearing the whole rig apart" to fix it right, (really, to fix one wire??) has me a bit confused.

I say your complaint is with the repair tech. You authorized him to proceed and now you don't like it.
HL authorized partial payment of the repair to expedite things for you, at the shop you requested.
I doubt that the HL rep got a blow by blow, inch by inch description of exactly how the repair was to be done.

Again, I regret the fact you are unhappy. However my suggestion is to try to get past this and enjoy your rig.

Trace

bob34787

1 wire in a bundle of wires zip tied together would be impossible to replace and to be realistic how many times have wires gone bad in any situation, in either case if the OP thinks they should replace his RV for 1 wire than I am afraid e is going to be unhappy with the outcome , goodluck

Travis798

1 wire in a bundle of wires zip tied together would be impossible to replace and to be realistic how many times have wires gone bad in any situation, in either case if the OP thinks they should replace his RV for 1 wire than I am afraid e is going to be unhappy with the outcome , goodluck

Bob, is the replacement of the trailer for a bad wire unrealistic and extreme? Absolutely. The problem is where do alternative fixes to factory issues stop?

If my power outlet in my washer/dryer closet had a problem and they said they can't get to the wiring so I could either just not have a washer and dryer or they could run an extension cord across the floor to power them, is that acceptable?

If the cabling to my television was incorrect and inaccessible and they told me they would just run a new cable through my window, instead of fixing it correctly, is that acceptable?

How about something smaller. If the wiring to my ignition on my stove didn't work from factory, and they told me there was nothing that they could do and I would just have to use a lighter, is that acceptable?

If you find any of these issues acceptable, you are the type of customer that Heartland loves. The fact is that I paid good money for a trailer, and the warranty of that trailer should keep it in factory condition. It is not my fault that my trailer had faulty wiring, and it is not my fault that the wiring is inaccessible. As a customer, I should not be responsible for that.

Lets be honest here. We are talking about a trailer with a close to 90k MSRP that I paid over 50k for. For that kind of money, I expect a factory condition fix for any problems under warranty, not some half ***ed workaround to get the trailer functional. It's not like I'm standing on the lot waving my arms and yelling trying to scare off customers trying to demand a new trailer for a simple issue. I would have been extremely happy with a proper fix. Heartland says that a proper fix is not possible. In my mind, that leaves only one viable option.

I understand I sound extreme. Replacing a trailer for a faulty wire sounds nuts. Selling a trailer in this price range with an unrepairable catastrophic defect, which is what this is, and expecting the buyer to just grin and allow them to perform cheap workaround also sounds nuts.

The simple fact is that brand loyal customers will be fine with this fix. Non brand loyal customers that expect more for their money in a trailer of this quality would not be happy with this resolution. If this thread turns away the occasional potential customer from Heartland they are losing money in the long run. My brother was looking hard at the Gateway trailers, as they have a floor plan that he really likes. Now he won't touch a Heartland trailer, and I don't blame him.

I have full plans of heading over to rv.net and every other fifth wheel forum I can find and relaying my story on those forums as well. As of now, I feel like it is my responsibility to at least inform potential customers of what they may be getting into if they deal with Heartland products.

danemayer

Travis798,

It does seem wrong that you can't get the RV fixed correctly. BUT, let me add that your entire complaint is built on 1) the tech having made a correct diagnosis, and 2) a Heartland Rep agreeing that the wire in question can't be replaced.

Maybe the tech is right, but I think the Bighorn roof is a multi-layer laminated structure. Wiring under the roof would be in your living area. Wiring inside a laminated structure seems unlikely to have a short. Maybe it does, but it seems much more likely to me that your tech just couldn't figure out what was wrong and declared that there must be a short. And having declared the short, things have just gone downhill.

It seems like it might be worth getting a second opinion. Why don't you ask Heartland Customer Service to authorize a diagnosis at another shop to see if perhaps the first tech got it wrong.

bob34787

well you can get yourself all worked up over a wire and a second thermostat if you want, myself , I would be more inclined to get a second opinion and if that turns out to be the same as the 1st, you can either live with it or waste a lot of your time posting on rvnet, heartland, xxxx consumer and any other site you wish, you will still have the second thermostat and beside internet sympathy it will not change the minds of many when it comes time for them to purchase, believe me,been there , done it. have had one that was so bad forest river took it back and rebuilt it, still junk upon its return , had to trade it, had another that I got to use it once and dealer had it for warranty work till I traded it, your problem is just not that big, sorry for your troubles

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis798

I believe it's taken a lot of prodding via this forum, but if they follow through, Heartland may yet win me over.

I had some issues with the work performed by the service center I used. I did not mention it because I felt that I chose the location to have it serviced so my issues with them did not fall back on Heartland.

This morning, the Heartland rep called me to see if I was happy with the work that was performed. When I was telling him of the issues (they took the heater out to check it for diagnostics, and now the heater sounds like an air compressor. I believe the fan is hitting the guard), a broken chandelier in the kitchen, and a cover that was put back on incorrectly, the rep talked like they will stand behind the shoddy work.

I had called the place I had the work performed this morning, and they just gave me the number to the tech that performed the work. I left him a message, but have yet to receive a call back. Heartland says they can send me a new chandelier, and they are working to try to find a mobile repair to come to me so that I do not have to drive an hour and a half to have the new issue fixed.

The rep also informed me that he has now talked to someone else that convinced him a new wire can indeed be fished through to fix the problem correctly, and they will replace the paneling that the new thermostat was attached to. They are willing to have my loud heater fixed now, and let me use the trailer for work and drop it off somewhere when I can to have the thermostat fixed and paneling replaced.

While I am still disappointed that Heartland has flipped back and forth several times over whether or not the wiring can be fixed, I am hopeful that they will follow through with a correct fix in a way that will be convenient to me.

I will keep this thread updated on whether or not Heartland follows through with what they are leading me to believe they will do. If they in fact do make this right, that is all I've been asking for and I will be happy with them. I will say that the fact they seem to be willing to stand behind shoddy work performed by a place they didn't even recommend also goes a long ways toward resolving my issues with them. With any luck, I will still yet become a satisfied Heartland customer that recommends them after all.

As I said, I'll keep this thread updated.

ADIRKS30

I believe it's taken a lot of prodding via this forum, but if they follow through, Heartland may yet win me over.

I had some issues with the work performed by the service center I used. I did not mention it because I felt that I chose the location to have it serviced so my issues with them did not fall back on Heartland.

This morning, the Heartland rep called me to see if I was happy with the work that was performed. When I was telling him of the issues (they took the heater out to check it for diagnostics, and now the heater sounds like an air compressor. I believe the fan is hitting the guard), a broken chandelier in the kitchen, and a cover that was put back on incorrectly, the rep talked like they will stand behind the shoddy work.

I had called the place I had the work performed this morning, and they just gave me the number to the tech that performed the work. I left him a message, but have yet to receive a call back. Heartland says they can send me a new chandelier, and they are working to try to find a mobile repair to come to me so that I do not have to drive an hour and a half to have the new issue fixed.

The rep also informed me that he has now talked to someone else that convinced him a new wire can indeed be fished through to fix the problem correctly, and they will replace the paneling that the new thermostat was attached to. They are willing to have my loud heater fixed now, and let me use the trailer for work and drop it off somewhere when I can to have the thermostat fixed and paneling replaced.

While I am still disappointed that Heartland has flipped back and forth several times over whether or not the wiring can be fixed, I am hopeful that they will follow through with a correct fix in a way that will be convenient to me.

I will keep this thread updated on whether or not Heartland follows through with what they are leading me to believe they will do. If they in fact do make this right, that is all I've been asking for and I will be happy with them. I will say that the fact they seem to be willing to stand behind shoddy work performed by a place they didn't even recommend also goes a long ways toward resolving my issues with them. With any luck, I will still yet become a satisfied Heartland customer that recommends them after all.

As I said, I'll keep this thread updated.

I do wish you luck Travis in getting Heartland to finish resolving the issue, I have had a long list of issues with my MSRP $XXXX Heartland product also, I thought I was getting somewhere after I posted several messages on this site,.... but somewhere the line has dropped. The customer service rep informed me he could not find anyone in my area to do the repairs. So here I am with a unit that I paid over $XXXX for that was suppossed to have a full bumper to bumper warranty and there is not a repair facility in my area to fix it. I find that somewhat strange. I feel like you Travis, these rigs are far to expensive to not have better customer service. But I have come to accept that if I want a fifth wheel, I`ll have to also be a handyman to continually repair it. If it was 5 or 6 years old it wouldn`t bother me so much, but it is brand new. I have had 5 or 6 water leaks, the led strip lighting in my awning has shorted almost causing a fire which would have burnt the unit, the awning motor is very weak and will not pull the awning back in, the exhaust fan in the toyhauler part has quit, the hydraulic jacks stick sometimes, the microwave quit, rubber seal underneath the fifth wheel has all fallen out, if you look around on here you will see many folks that have had the towmax tires blow on them causing severe damage. My brother also has a 2014 Heartland product, his decals are pealing off, and his tub does not drain due to it being installed way out of level.

Hopefully your story turns out better than it looks like it was going to. I have a local repair shop that I found, that is going to do this list of repairs for me this winter, and I will see then if I can get Heartland to pay him or if I will have to.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

I Adirks,

You should call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN before you just let someone work on your unit and expect to get reimbursed. Heartland has lots of independent repair shops that will do warranty work, but it must be pre-authorized by Heartland.

Jim M

bob34787

I do wish you luck Travis in getting Heartland to finish resolving the issue, I have had a long list of issues with my MSRP $XXXX Heartland product also, I thought I was getting somewhere after I posted several messages on this site,.... but somewhere the line has dropped. The customer service rep informed me he could not find anyone in my area to do the repairs. So here I am with a unit that I paid over $XXXX for that was suppossed to have a full bumper to bumper warranty and there is not a repair facility in my area to fix it. I find that somewhat strange. I feel like you Travis, these rigs are far to expensive to not have better customer service. But I have come to accept that if I want a fifth wheel, I`ll have to also be a handyman to continually repair it. If it was 5 or 6 years old it wouldn`t bother me so much, but it is brand new. I have had 5 or 6 water leaks, the led strip lighting in my awning has shorted almost causing a fire which would have burnt the unit, the awning motor is very weak and will not pull the awning back in, the exhaust fan in the toyhauler part has quit, the hydraulic jacks stick sometimes, the microwave quit, rubber seal underneath the fifth wheel has all fallen out, if you look around on here you will see many folks that have had the towmax tires blow on them causing severe damage. My brother also has a 2014 Heartland product, his decals are pealing off, and his tub does not drain due to it being installed way out of level.

Hopefully your story turns out better than it looks like it was going to. I have a local repair shop that I found, that is going to do this list of repairs for me this winter, and I will see then if I can get Heartland to pay him or if I will have to.
So if there are no repair facilities in your area, take it back to where you purchased it.