Brake Smart Message

slaytop

I have a Brake Smart controller that I really like.

The controller displayed the "short detected" message a couple of times in the fall but didn't repeat it like the manual stated if the condition was serious. The brakes worked fine but I am concerned about the message.

Does this message indicate an impending failure or is it something that may occur occasionally? An inspection of the wiring may be my next project.

Larry

jpmorgan37

Larry;

I would definitely check it out. When I had the Brake Smart on my GMC, it gave me an intermittent problem warning (I don't remember the exact wording) but when I checked it out, one of the brakes on the RV had spit out the adjuster. I had to replace the whole brake backing plate assembly on that wheel.

Good Luck

John

slaytop

John,
Thanks for your reply. I decided to take a first step and check the exposed brake wiring and it looked fine.

I had a serious brake problem on a previous trailer where the brake wires were routed through the axle tubes. My Landmark wires were going through the axle tubes as well. I pulled them out today and discovered the same problem I had previously. It was not as advanced as the other unit but I'm sure it was enough to cause the brake controller to display the error message a couple of times. The wire insulation was worn through enough in three places on one of the wires to permit a tiny area of the wire to contact the axle tube if it moved the right way. In addition, the wire was wet from water inside the axle, even after being parked inside a heated garage for almost 4 months.

I may post a separate string warning people of this potential wiring problem.

I'm not sure if this is the only source of the error message because I still have some more inspecting to do but it is the most likely problem.
Larry