Fulltimer Going on Vacation - Question.....

slborba

I'm looking for advice from other fulltimers/most-timers. I'm leaving tomorrow on a 7 day trip to South Dakota "without" my RV , but leaving the RV on the cement pad I'm currently on at the base RV park. Question I have is what should I do to prep my Landmark? I was thinking I will:
1. Dump all tanks and close all tank valves.
2. Disconnect city water supply. (Nothing in my fresh tank).
3. Disconnect 50 amp city cord and store in basement.
4. Turn off 50 amp breaker inside panel.
5. Retract awning.
6. Keep slides extended.
7. Keep 2 windows slightly open for ventilation.
8. Turn off battery.
9. Turn off propane.

big question: What do I do about the hot water? Drain it before I empty the tanks?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks very much in advance,
Steve

slborba

I'm stationed at Ft. Meade, Maryland. Weather forecast is no rain and lows around 55 for the next week.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Is 55 the low or is that the temperature during the day? The low temps are what you need to prepare for.

Rod

brianharrison

I dump all tanks,
I turn off water supply, but leave hose connected,
I leave 50 amp connected to power source; I have a surge/voltage protection device,
I retract awning,
I put my slides in, or leave them out, depending on weather forecast - I have slide toppers and they flap if really windy,
I open my roof vents that have covers over them,
I leave the battery on,
I turn off propane.

The hot water heater can be left with water in it, but I make sure it is turned off, both electric heater and propane.

I also leave fridge running.

If it is going to be really hot, I put a couple pails of water in the sink to help keep humidity up in the trailer - more applicable in Arizona, or Southern California.

Brian

Edit - Be prepared for your black tank to be really stinky when you return, the first time you flush put tank treatment down to help knock down the odors. I also leave 1/8 to 1/4 tank of clean water in the black tank.

For20hunter

Then you should be fine without winterizing your coach as long as it does not dip below freezing. I would also consider some rodent bait to keep any unwanted visitors from making your home their home.

Rod

rxbristol

Unless you're expecting a hard freeze I wouldn't bother to drain the hot water tank. And if you were expecting a freeze, there is still a lot more to do.

slborba

Good point. The reason we are going now is to avoid the cold weather issues. We just want/need that peace of mind while we are gone. Want to make sure our home will be OK while we're gone. These aren't issues we worried about when we were in a sticks/bricks home.
Are we "over thinking" this??

Steve

For20hunter

It's always better to be informed and this is the place to get answers from folks with experience. As long as an unexpected freeze doesn't come along you should be fine. And like others have said, if there is a chance it might freeze, then you have much more to do. Go enjoy your trip.

Rod

danemayer

When we were selling our house earlier this year, we left the RV in an RV park in Tyler, TX for a month and were back and forth a few times for overnight stays. So we left it unattended for anywhere from 5 to 12 days at a time.

Awning in.
Water off. (Relieve pressure by opening a faucet for a few seconds after turning water off)
Holding tank valves closed.
Power on - running A/C and refrigerator. We have an EMS to protect against power problems.
Battery on.
Water heater off.
Slides out.
Propane on - backup for frig in case of power outage.

Didn't dump the black tank because we hadn't used it enough to fill it.

And of course, no possibility of a freeze in Texas in May/June, so no need to winterize.

GOTTOYS

I wouldn't leave any windows open. It will make it easier to break into if that could be a problem. Ventilation isn't going to be an issue and it will keep any dust out. They don't leave windows open on the RV lots. Sounds like you have everything covered. Go enjoy your vacation from being on vacation...Don

slborba

Thank you for the great advice. Ifeel much better getting the guidance from the experts that have done this before me. I have my checklist for tomorrow morning.
Steve

Crumgater

You're only going to be gone 7 days, right?
Awning in, lock doors, leave the porch light on, walk away.

I'd probably turn off anything with an on/off switch (i.e. water heater), but otherwise, give a key to a neighbor (or site host) and ask them to keep an eye on things for you.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I was thinking the same as Dave. When I park my rig for weeks at a time at home, it is powered, slides out awning in and in the heat of the summer - AC is on ( set to 80 deg ) to keep the moisture under control. I only shut it down in the winter when I have it winterized. during the season it is always ready for a hook and go type of trip ...

Kevin