ATF: ElkRidge - Cracked Shower Pan

Iluv2fish

My Elkridge 34QSRL has developed stress cracks/ fractures in the shower floorpan. (See Pictures) The material of the pan appears to be a plastic of some sort and the pan has always exhibited flex in some areas as though it was not properly supported when originally installed. The worst crack is right in one of the flex areas, which tells me that the flexing of the floor over time has caused the crack. The other crack is near the drain and not quite as bad as the other one. We are experiencing water leakage through the bad crack, for sure. We do not know if the one at the drain is leaking yet or not. This is a critical issue must be fixed before we get serious damage and rotted floors.
So my questions are:
#1 Can the pan be successfully fixed/ repaired without removal in any manner? ( I have doubts about this!)
#2 Can the shower pan be replaced without removing the shower splash walls with all that attendant problem?
#3 Where can parts be obtained? And will Heartland help on this issue?

Attachments

• DSC06556.JPG
    DSC06556.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC06555.JPG
    DSC06555.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 55

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Mine in our Greystone has done the same. There is about a 5" opening under the drain that is unsupported. I used eternabond roof tape to fix about a month ago. Not pretty but seems to be holding up

sjs731

I had one big crack in the pan on our Sundance last year. Had the pan replaced and the tech said it appeared that the base was thin where it cracked. Ours didn't crack near the drain. We have the corner shower and it cracked right about in the middle while our rig was in storage. The tech said the material looked think in that area. The pan wasn't that pricey but the labor was. The faucet, enclosure and walls all had to come off because our pan went up behind the walls.

Steve

danemayer

And will Heartland help on this issue?

Hi ILuv2fish,

You might have an exploratory conversation with Heartland. If as your profile shows, it's a 2011, it's probably been out of warranty for several years (2015s have been shipping for quite a while).

Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Be prepared to send your pictures via email.

My Elkridge 34QSRL has developed stress cracks/ fractures in the shower floorpan. (See Pictures) The material of the pan appears to be a plastic of some sort and the pan has always exhibited flex in some areas as though it was not properly supported when originally installed. The worst crack is right in one of the flex areas, which tells me that the flexing of the floor over time has caused the crack. The other crack is near the drain and not quite as bad as the other one. We are experiencing water leakage through the bad crack, for sure. We do not know if the one at the drain is leaking yet or not. This is a critical issue must be fixed before we get serious damage and rotted floors.
So my questions are:
#1 Can the pan be successfully fixed/ repaired without removal in any manner? ( I have doubts about this!)
#2 Can the shower pan be replaced without removing the shower splash walls with all that attendant problem?

Our's looks almost the same and I ended up replacing it with one that is a slightly more flexible plastic with Styrofoam backing. The floor boards are only 1/2in and flex quite a bit and the old fiberglass pan just can't handle the concentrated weight of a persons feed in conjunction with the floor flex underneath it.

The new pan was about 145 from Amazon and other than the work to get the shower fall enclosure out it was a pretty simple and easy job. I posted a pic on the MODS forum.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So my questions are:

We have the corner shower in our Trail Runner, and the floor is really soft, most especially around the drain area.

I asked our dealer to fix this when it was in for one of the warranty repair trips, but they claimed that Heartland said this was normal and that they refused to repair.

I've often wondered if they even asked Heartland to cover it . . . guess I'll never know!

I tried to wedge a couple of pieces of wood under the soft spots through that little hatch under the shower door, but that didn't seem to work, so we just make sure that when we are in the shower we have our feet in the right spots that seem to be well supported (about a foot from either side of the drain and outward).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, if you can gain access....try using expanding spray foam under the shower pan.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We have a 2014 Cyclone 4000 Elite and just went through this with Camping World and Heartland. Luck would have it we were still in warranty when we discovered hairline cracks in our tub and shower. We informed Heartland in January and just this week go it fixed. When we informed Heartland their first respnse was the tub could not be replaced as the walls where built aroud it, and that those tubs did not need support and they never supported them. They put me in touch with what they refered to as a factory representive for the tub manufactor, who turned out to be a but repair man from a company called Miracle. Their tech looked at it and advised replacing the tub, and at the very lest the tub needed to be supported are any repairs would not last. Heartland finally agreed to let CW support the tub so that Miracle could then repair it. What came next was a shock even to CW. They (CW) went to work to disconnect the tub and then raise it up about four to five inches to place supports under it. What they found was that the tub had NO SUBFLOOR (guess thats why they contuined to telling me they never support the tub and that it did not need support). Long story short CW did a good job going in and building supports for the tub. Now just need to see it holds up after this.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon