What is a good tow vehicle for our Trail Runner 27RKS?

Lana

Hi everyone. We purchased a brand new Trail Runner 27 RKS. Now we are looking for an SUV or truck to pull it. We need something that can tow approximately 8000 pounds. Some people say we need a half ton and some say we need a three quarter. What about a Lincoln Navigator? Would appreciate knowing what others use to tow trailers of a similar weight. Thanks.

danemayer

Hi Lana,

Congratulations on the new Trail Runner and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here, so I'm sure you'll get some suggestions shortly.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hi everyone. We purchased a brand new Trail Runner 27 RKS. Now we are looking for an SUV or truck to pull it. We need something that can tow approximately 8000 pounds. Some people say we need a half ton and some say we need a three quarter. What about a Lincoln Navigator? Would appreciate knowing what others use to tow trailers of a similar weight. Thanks.

We have a 2013 Trail Runner 22RK, which weighs in around 8000 pounds.

Your trailer should be heavier than ours . . .

We had a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, which pulled it fine around the flatlands, but when it came to stopping . . . forget about it!

Just recently replaced the Dodge with a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, and now we no longer have any towing or stopping issues.

Forget about the half ton or an SUV . . . you need a real truck!

Believe me . . . you won't regret it!

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg

My topper for the new truck arrived today at the dealer . . . getting it installed on Saturday!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with John 100%. I will add this to his post. Buy more truck than you need NOW. It really sucks that you buy just enough truck now and then want a bigger trailer later. Then you have to buy another truck and loose money just to up grade. Any of the big 3 250/2500 will pull about any TT or 5er except the heavy TH'ers. I know a truck with a diesel may be more money, but they are well worth it in the end. The 6.0 in Johns truck is a good engine for smaller trailers. But you will kill a gas engine with a heavy trailer. All JMHO.

Kbvols

Years ago when I bought a TT I had a Toyota 4 runner it was less than 2 years old the salesman told me it would pull it fine. It pulled it ok down hill lol. So I traded for a 1500 that had a small V8 again salesman said would pull great. It pulled it ok until going up bigger hills. One trip to TN and up Jelico at 35 mph with motor screaming was enough. Finally got it right with 3rd TV in a little over 2 years. ..2500 diesel no more towing issues.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have a 2500 Dodge diesel, 6 speed manual and no complaints.... I pull a 21 FBS North Trail which is around 6500 lbs gvw....With my exhaust brake, it really saves on the brakes....I have just at 100,000 miles and still original brakes.
John is correct....get a real truck....not an suv... Enjoy your new RV.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If your going to pull a fairly good sized trailer, I would get at least a 3/4 ton truck. You won't be sorry.

Also if your going to buy a truck, I would buy a diesel truck for a number of reasons. Better pulling power, better fuel mileage, better resale value, longer life.

A new diesel 3/4 or 1 ton truck can be pricey.

You could buy a decent two or three year old diesel truck for a lot less money, if you don't want to shell out for a new one.
I purchased my current 1 ton diesel 2 years old, with only 10k miles, for HALF the cost of a new one.
Most diesels are built to go at least 300K miles with no problem. So, if a vehicle is clean and has service records, don't let say, 50k miles scare you off.
One exception, I would avoid the 6.0 liter Ford engine. JMO

Good luck and happy camping. Trace

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You could buy a decent two or three year old diesel truck for a lot less money, if you don't want to shell out for a new one.

I don't know about that . . .

In my search for a new truck in the last few months, I found that three to five year old trucks were selling for almost what the new trucks are going for.

Not to mention that you can typically get a much better interest rate on a new vehicle than on a used one.