Upgrading the oem Tires on my Silverado 2500HD....

Cjackg

I am about to replace the oem Goodyear LT265/60R20E tires on my Silverado 2500HD after reading a lot about how problematic these tires are. My main concern is that even though these are "E" rated, the Max Load shown on the oem sidewall is 3195 lbs. This is much lower than most 10-ply 20" tires.

I am considering replacing them with a tire like the Michelin LTX 275/65R20E that is rated for 3750 lbs at 80psi.

Looking for comments and recommendations from those that have "been there, done that" upgrading the tires on a recent Chevy or GMC HD pickup as to clearances, need for lift?, other options, etc etc.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have run Michelins on all my vehicles for the past 25 years.

I currently have LTX AT2's on my TV.
No complaints with Michelin. Trace

Jim.Allison

The 3750 are going to be 34.1 to 34.4 inches in diameter and will be a significant change for you. The 3640 lb might will be around 33.45 and might accomplish the job with only a small change in diameter. Also the 3750 are fairly aggressive in tread design, the combination of larger diameter and aggressive tread design might not accomodate you fuel milage desires.

I just did this with my RAM. I hooked up tonight and the tires look great and Im 900 lbs to the good on the tire load. Happy but wish I COULD have gone with the 3750 lb tires.

I am about to replace the oem Goodyear LT265/60R20E tires on my Silverado 2500HD after reading a lot about how problematic these tires are. My main concern is that even though these are "E" rated, the Max Load shown on the oem sidewall is 3195 lbs. This is much lower than most 10-ply 20" tires.

I am considering replacing them with a tire like the Michelin LTX 275/65R20E that is rated for 3750 lbs at 80psi.

Looking for comments and recommendations from those that have "been there, done that" upgrading the tires on a recent Chevy or GMC HD pickup as to clearances, need for lift?, other options, etc etc.

Cjackg

The Michelin LTX's I am considering are MS/2, not as aggressive as the AT/2.

Which tire did you go to...Firestone Transforce? It is slightly smaller and 3640 lbs and that's my other choice...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Which tires came on your truck?

(edit - sorry, I see you got the Goodyear tires)

My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD came with Firestone Transforce HT tires . . .

Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg NewTruck2500HDsm-IMG_20140822_202351380.jpg

They've only got around 2900 miles on them, but so far they seem awesome!

And I'm thinking about getting a set of them for our trailer as well!

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

285/60R 20 Firestone Transforce AT. I love them. I hooked up my rig today and they stood tall and proud. 20 inch rims were not available on the 2013 2500, but I have a set of OEM 20's off a 2014. They look good. LAter I will tell you how I got an extra set for a couple hundred buck its a funny story. But meanwhile here is my contribution to your research.

Search TireRack by brand, it will take you the brand splash page, where you select the tire model you want, then within that model click on "Spec" and it will list all the sizes. Careful because sometime you have accidently selected one it will be listed at the top of the page rather than within the database. Firestone has the Transforce AT, then the Destination AT. Search all the name brands for these type tires. The numbers are E 125 for the 3640 and E 126 for the 3750s no matter which brand you choose.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ed White Letters&partnum=86R0TATOWL&tab=Sizes

Jim what size tire are you looking at @ 3640

Jim.Allison

Im no expert but I think it is a viable LT in 16 inch for your trailer, it certainly merits investigation, if you have the clearance necessary. Which I cannot see why you would not. But when looking at them you will not be able to choose on the tire nomenclature, you will have to choose on width and diameter.

BTW, I dont know who your asking, but my RAM came with 17 inch Transforce AT 265/70R 17 at 3195 lbs or so, cant remember exactly.

Which tires came on your truck?

My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD came with Firestone Transforce HT tires . . .

View attachment 32210 View attachment 32211

They've only got around 2900 miles on them, but so far they seem awesome!

And I'm thinking about getting a set of them for our trailer as well!

JohnD

Im no expert but I think it is a viable LT in 16 inch for your trailer, it certainly merits investigation, if you have the clearance necessary. Which I cannot see why you would not. But when looking at them you will not be able to choose on the tire nomenclature, you will have to choose on width and diameter.

BTW, I dont know who your asking, but my RAM came with 17 inch Transforce AT 265/70R 17 at 3195 lbs or so, cant remember exactly.

I was asking the OP, since he has the same truck as me (except I have a gas model and 17" tires).

However, my trailer needs 15" tires.

By the way, what do you think about the Firestone Destination series?

Jim.Allison

I physically saw a destination just the other day and it is a heck of a tire in a 20 inch. I saw a 18 on display. It really was a lot of tire, I think it weighs 60 lbs in a 20 inch. BTW Transforce has a 15 inch at 1950 lbs.

I was asking the OP, since he has the same truck as me (except I have a gas model and 17" tires).

However, my trailer needs 15" tires.

By the way, what do you think about the Firestone Destination series?

theroes

I just put the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (LT) 265/60r/20 on my 2011.Good tire so far. I wanted a more aggressive tire for the Central NY winter and when i am going to hunting camp. I wanted the Michelin in the next size but guys on the diesel forum said i would have to level the truck because the front tires would rub I stuck wwith the same size as original. Cooper just started to make the discoverer in this size.

Cjackg

I just put the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (LT) 265/60r/20 on my 2011.Good tire so far. I wanted a more aggressive tire for the Central NY winter and when i am going to hunting camp. I wanted the Michelin in the next size but guys on the diesel forum said i would have to level the truck because the front tires would rub I stuck wwith the same size as original. Cooper just started to make the discoverer in this size.
Yes, that's a good looking tire, but, the max weight rating in that size is the same as my oem Goodyears, 3195 lbs, so there is no improvement until you go to the larger 275/65R20 size.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I recommend you look at Bridgestone Dueler's. I have the AT Revo 2's on my pu and they are amazing. Awesome traction and the rolling rsistance is such I increased fuel milage by 2mpg. Read up on them and you will find many people will say the same. My wifes Traverse came with them and we put a set on my daughters jeep as well. Longevity for my first set was a bit over 60 k with a lot of towing miles.

JohnD

I recommend you look at Bridgestone Dueler's. I have the AT Revo 2's on my pu and they are amazing. Awesome traction and the rolling rsistance is such I increased fuel milage by 2mpg. Read up on them and you will find many people will say the same. My wifes Traverse came with them and we put a set on my daughters jeep as well. Longevity for my first set was a bit over 60 k with a lot of towing miles.

I put a set of Duelers on my previous Dodge Ram 1500, and while I loved the tires for off-roading (ie.- 4-wheeling), I found that they lowered my gas mileage substantially.

And, I only got about 30,000 miles out of them before they wore out and had to be replaced . . .

TruckAtGig-P1010904.jpg

At almost $200 a piece . . . that was a drag! :p

I sold my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 about a month ago . . . I do miss it, although my new truck is sah-weet! :cool:

NewTruckAtCherryCreek-IMG_20140909_183951592.jpg

lynndiwagoner

Are you interested in 19.5's? It would require new wheels. I won't go into the details unless you are interested.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I liked my Firestone transforce AT tires. They wore like iron and I got almost 60K out of them pulling a heavy work trailer and the Horn.. The transforce and the dueler are basiclly the same tire, except for one thing. The Bridgestone is more money.

JohnD

I liked my Firestone transforce AT tires. They wore like iron and I got almost 60K out of them pulling a heavy work trailer and the Horn.. The transforce and the dueler are basiclly the same tire, except for one thing. The Bridgestone is more money.

Except that my Bridgestone Duelers were off-road tires while my Firestone Transforce HT tires are not off-road tires.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Well, that is because it was a Dodge... Can of worms opened! :cool:

I put a set of Duelers on my previous Dodge Ram 1500, and while I loved the tires for off-roading (ie.- 4-wheeling), I found that they lowered my gas mileage substantially.

And, I only got about 30,000 miles out of them before they wore out and had to be replaced . . .

TruckAtGig-P1010904.jpg

At almost $200 a piece . . . that was a drag! :p

I sold my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 about a month ago . . . I do miss it, although my new truck is sah-weet! :cool:

View attachment 32220

Cjackg

For anyone interested.... Costco installed a set of Michelin LTX 275/65R20 MS2 tires on my 2500HD today and they fit just fine with no clearance issues, changes, or mods whatsoever. My Max weight rating jumped from 3195 to 3750lbs per tire and they ride even smoother than the oem GY tires. The only negative effect is I will probably need to have the Speedometer recalibrated and now my truck sits even higher than before!
Michelin03.jpg MichelinLabel.jpg Michelin-clearance.jpg

Last edited: