Camp resort Ripoff

The Deal was to look at Sun Properties Resort in Southern Pines, Free Bar-B Q lunch _a_ $100 Fuel voucher and 30 nites of free camping in there resort. After the Tour they brought us in for the sales pitch. First here is your free camping pass, you can't use it on Friday or Saturday. Here is your $100 Fuel voucher these Four $25 dollar vouchers add up to $100. Every month at a certain time after the date on the receipt you have to mail it in, I haven't seen the first dime. Bar B Q lunch was some Bratwurst. After that treatment I couldn't get out of there fast enough I feel as though I was scammed. ******

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm in sales for a living . . .

Whenever someone says to me "I need some advice!" . . .

I jokingly reply "My free advice is worth every penny spent!" :eek::cool::rolleyes:

GOTTOYS

So did you buy a campsite ?? LOL...I went to one of those years ago. It was the biggest hoax I have ever seen. 2 guys talking to each other about the "deer" headed our way and placing a ficticious hold on a lot for another "buyer" that was nowhere to be seen. I will NEVER waste my time on anything like that again....Don

Bob Vaughn

There are too many rv parks and campgrounds to be locked into one campground. There are too many downsides to rv park site membership.....if you don't happen to like the people on both sides of you selling your site is almost out of the question. Nope not for me. When I was way younger I got smoozed into going to one of these presentations and got locked in a high pressure sales room. I had to threaten to break the door down to get out........I then set out side and warned the people who were also going into the lions den. I was able to steer quiet a few folks away........

Bohemian

We have looked into these kind of things. Often the annual fees and use fees are as large as a simple straight forward rental making your "purchase" simply an additional expense for nothing.

wrgrs50s

I responded to a mailer that stated I had won a cruise. I was young and ambitious in those days so I was on my way to get my free cruise. Heard all the spill and declined to purchase the property offered and asked about my cruise. They sent me to a desk where prizes were awarded and she presented me with a voucher for a free 3 night cruise. The catch was that it was based on double occupancy and the other party was like $1,200.00. Lesson learned !!!

I had a friend that told me he had won a ski boat and that he had called and they verified. When he got there he found out that it was actually a scale model of a ski boat. Too funny !!

I now hang up if it's a call, and throw away anything in the mail that claims I'm a winner.

Kbvols

I got suckered into a timeshare years ago. Same deal high pressure deal. At the time though we were in a crappy hotel so part of the deal was that I had the last 5 days of my vacation at the resort for $50 a night normally $200. On the flight home I decided to read the contract....and there it was in real fine print...Florida law provided 7 days to back out of the contract after your Last day in the state if purchased on vacation. Pulled out my business law text book from college typed up a letter had a refund in less than 2 weeks ....had a new pop up within a month. We have been camping ever since.

Cjackg

The Deal was to look at Sun Properties Resort in Southern Pines, Free Bar-B Q lunch _a_ $100 Fuel voucher and 30 nites of free camping in there resort. After the Tour they brought us in for the sales pitch. First here is your free camping pass, you can't use it on Friday or Saturday. Here is your $100 Fuel voucher these Four $25 dollar vouchers add up to $100. Every month at a certain time after the date on the receipt you have to mail it in, I haven't seen the first dime. Bar B Q lunch was some Bratwurst. After that treatment I couldn't get out of there fast enough I feel as though I was scammed. ******

The saddest part of the story is there are some really great NC BBQ places in that area... I would listen to a sales pitch any time for some of that BBQ!

Bohemian

Key to avoiding robo calls: don't answer your phone on the first two rings. They dial multiple people and talk to the first person who picks up. They hang up on everyone else.

MCTalley

This type of stuff always reminds me of the car giveaways at the mall. You'll see people gathered around blindly filling out the forms and dropping them in the box. I picked one up one time and read the fine print on the back. It turned out that whoever was running the contest (it wasn't the car dealer advertised on the vehicle) reserved the right to not even give a car away, but instead award some very less than comparable prize like $1,000 in cash or gift cards. All those suckers were now on someone's mailing list, phone calling list and email list.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I just set the phone on the table and walk away. Oh maybe in an hour or so I will hang it up. Usually they don't call back.

jdfishing

You weren't scammed. You left. Some guy that bought was scammed.