Slider hitch needed?

MagnoliaTom

We are about to get a new 38tsrt. The salesman claims we don't need a slider. So does the elkridge brochure and video I've watched. But, everything I've ever heard was you still need a slider, even if the fifth wheel has the short bed friendly cap. Do I need a slider or not?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been towing Bighorns for seven years and do not have a slider.
Never needed one.

Peace
Dave

FiremanBill

I had a slider in my old F-250 short bed and never used it in the back position. I came close to the cab a time or two but never got close enough to warrant it.

etcmss

I'm still new to this (< 2 years) and when I bought mine (a BH 3260EL) they said no it will turn the 88 degrees and you don't need one...
In my last return home during backing I did have contact with truck cab (has a slight dent now)....so it is your choice to avoid a mishap. my street is narrow and driveway is narrow also it's a tight turn. I now intend to use mine to avoid this---maybe won't need when I get great at backing. Gary

Dean-Pam

I have Pullrite Superglide and since it is "automatic" engaged when backing, can't say if I needed it, though there have been some really tight spots I have had to back into, I am glad I have it. By "automatic", I mean I don't have to pull any pins to reposition the hitch away from the cab, nor do I have to remember to center the hitch manually when I pull forward. It is a really good product IMHO and as long as I have a short bed truck, I will have the Superglide as my hitch.

Sumo

We are about to get a new 38tsrt. The salesman claims we don't need a slider. So does the elkridge brochure and video I've watched. But, everything I've ever heard was you still need a slider, even if the fifth wheel has the short bed friendly cap. Do I need a slider or not?

What kind of a truck are using to pull the 5th wheel with, Long Bed or Short Bed, Chevy, Ford, Dodge?

Sumo

Shouldn't have any problems. I'm sure someone using the same towing setup on the form.

Jim.Allison

I have a slider and have never used it. I got tight 2 times and both times I did not have the slider with me. So now I do carry the slider and have the rig adjusted to the height of the hitch with the slider installed. It is 80 lbs that I don't want, and although I have been close to needing it, I do wonder if I will continue using it. If you have your rig cranked over to 88 or 90 degrees the tires are about to roll off the rim. I have decided that I will not put my rig in that position anymore, its tire abuse. But since i have been that close before I do know how quickly you can eat up that 88 degrees, fast, that space evaporates like payload. You have not lived until you are in a bind that has your rig 1 inch off your cab, or like an earlier post, touching your cab. We must also remember that the 88 degrees is referring to ideal circumstances on level ground and does not take into account off camber situations. Sorry to be so ambiguous but I think it really is a matter that involves ambiguity. Clear as mud? I hate to take mine off just to find out that I need it to get into a forest service space or some other space.

BTW, if you have not bought your hitch, it is a perfect time to determine the combination you want. e.g. More/Ryde, pin box with an airbag, or a trailersaver and stock pin box. You will want one of these combinations before it is overwith. So do it now. Probably as important or more important than the slider. - Just Sayin.

Good luck

cgaskins

I have a Reese Slider in my short bed Ford CC but I was seriously considering getting rid of it and going to the B&W Patriot. I hate the "play" that has developed in my Reese over time. I had to use it occasionally with my old Montana. When I picked up the new Big Country a week ago, I experimented with some tight turns in the dealership parking lot. Wow, I was amazed. I could never turn that tight with old Montana without moving the slider. The B&W Patriot documentation says it can be adjusted forwards or backwards by about 4 inches. I only like about 2 or 3 inches to get 90 degrees in my truck. I wonder if the B&W Patriot adjusted fully towards the back if I will get enough clearance for 90 degrees.

-Chris

MagnoliaTom

I'm completely oblivious as to the combinations you suggest. I believe the dealer is suggesting a Reese 16k. That's all I know.

jdfishing

I have a spare tire for my truck, and never used it. I'm still gonna carry it though.

Jim.Allison

Chucking is a problem we all face, not only does it wreak havoc on your trailer frame and its contents, it makes for a bad ride in your truck. If you like to drink coffee while you drive, good luck, you will spill more on you than you can drink. Your wife will be grabbing the hand holds and looking at you like you can do something about it. And you can't do anything about it. Thats on interstates, it gets worse on state highways and county roads

But there are excellent solutions to stop this problem. But you should decide now how you want to approach it now. It's expensive to change horses in mid stream.

The first question is what kind of pin box does your perspective rig have on it right now? If it is a solid stock pin box then you must address the problem, if it has a special pin box on it already you might be able to have it removed or if you like it you can just keep it.

But lets say that you have a stock steel OEM pin box and you want to eliminate the chucking problem (take my word for it, you have a chucking problem) you can buy the Reese hitch and a special pin box designed to eliminate much of the chucking problem. OR you can buy a hitch that eliminates much of the chucking and keep the steel OEM pin box. You dont need to do both. Although some have.

I dont have any experience with the Mor/ryde or other pin box products, but others do and they will see your post and get in on the conversation, there are many pin boxes designed to manage chucking. Some more popular than others.

The Trailer Saver BD3 is a 18000/3500 hitch designed to eliminate much of this problem, with this system you just keep the stock steel OEM pin box, everything is on the hitch. What I like about teh Trailer Saver BD3 is; 1) Once you buy it its yours, you won't be kissing it goodbye if/when you trade your rig. 2) It works, and you need do nothing except to install it. 3) it breaks down into pieces making it easy to handle. Major drawbacks are; 1) It's more expensive. Not so much for a new installation, but changing to it after the fact is hard on the wallet. If you want one, buy it now, its not so difficult to take the price difference at the onset. You can buy them in new condition off of craigslist if you keep your eyes open, start looking and you will find one. Perhaps the good folks over at Trailersaver have a rebuilt one they will sell you. Another drawback is it effects your payload. Compared to the Reese without a slider and a Mor/Ryde, the Trailer saver is 3 lbs heavier, when adding the slider to both systems the Trailer saver is 17 lbs heavier. It is just a thought, payload evaporates quickly depending on your truck. If you are close to being over then maybe it is a consideration for you.

Anyway the chucking is the problem that you need to cure, but you should figure it out now because you will have to live with the decision you make for a while.

Good luck

I'm completely oblivious as to the combinations you suggest. I believe the dealer is suggesting a Reese 16k. That's all I know.

Jim.Allison

I don't know exactly how far my Trailer Saver goes back, I have never tried it, but it goes back a lot more than 3 inches. I bet mine goes back far enough to pick the front wheels off the ground.

I have a Reese Slider in my short bed Ford CC but I was seriously considering getting rid of it and going to the B&W Patriot. I hate the "play" that has developed in my Reese over time. I had to use it occasionally with my old Montana. When I picked up the new Big Country a week ago, I experimented with some tight turns in the dealership parking lot. Wow, I was amazed. I could never turn that tight with old Montana without moving the slider. The B&W Patriot documentation says it can be adjusted forwards or backwards by about 4 inches. I only like about 2 or 3 inches to get 90 degrees in my truck. I wonder if the B&W Patriot adjusted fully towards the back if I will get enough clearance for 90 degrees.

-Chris

MagnoliaTom

I have a slider and have never used it. I got tight 2 times and both times I did not have the slider with me. So now I do carry the slider and have the rig adjusted to the height of the hitch with the slider installed. It is 80 lbs that I don't want, and although I have been close to needing it, I do wonder if I will continue using it. If you have your rig cranked over to 88 or 90 degrees the tires are about to roll off the rim. I have decided that I will not put my rig in that position anymore, its tire abuse. But since i have been that close before I do know how quickly you can eat up that 88 degrees, fast, that space evaporates like payload. You have not lived until you are in a bind that has your rig 1 inch off your cab, or like an earlier post, touching your cab. We must also remember that the 88 degrees is referring to ideal circumstances on level ground and does not take into account off camber situations. Sorry to be so ambiguous but I think it really is a matter that involves ambiguity. Clear as mud? I hate to take mine off just to find out that I need it to get into a forest service space or some other space.

BTW, if you have not bought your hitch, it is a perfect time to determine the combination you want. e.g. More/Ryde, pin box with an airbag, or a trailersaver and stock pin box. You will want one of these combinations before it is overwith. So do it now. Probably as important or more important than the slider. - Just Sayin.

Good luck

The brochure says it has trail air equa-flex suspension. I'll also be adding airbags to my truck.

MagnoliaTom

So after some research I realize the trail air suspension is for the running gear and has nothing to do with the pin box. Further research has led me to discover the "shock absorber" style pin boxes like the trail air. Are these a necessity? Who tows theirs with a stock pin box and are happy? I like the idea behind the trail air or MorRyde but obviously don't like the price. What say you?

Kbvols

I pull with stock pin box and Reese hitch. I rarely feel any chucking. Yes on some really bad roads I feel from time to time but not to the point unbearable or that it lasts long. Perhaps I am lucky. I have a 3500 SRW truck and my trailer is not overly heavy as far as pin weight perhaps that helps. Anyway the ride 98% of the time is smooth. As for slider hitch I have a slider with short bed truck. I have not used slider in the 3 years I have had it. I suppose it is nice to know I have it if needed but just have never needed. I try to avoid making too sharp of turns as it puts a lot of torque on the wheels/tires JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

This is one way!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwkmXRsNxI0

This is another!!!! (plus a good explanation of what chucking is)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTowrVAteqU

I did not know about this product but seems like an answer to both problems, Chucking and slider!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ7A37rZ7ZU

Here is another, I did not know about this one either but I like the demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otMue-IlWl8

There are several ways to attack this problem but do it now. If you do it with a pin box, you can get it in on your rig financing that way you won't have a cash outlay.

Search the forum for the BD3, mor/ryde, 5th airborne see what they have to say.

So after some research I realize the trail air suspension is for the running gear and has nothing to do with the pin box. Further research has led me to discover the "shock absorber" style pin boxes like the trail air. Are these a necessity? Who tows theirs with a stock pin box and are happy? I like the idea behind the trail air or MorRyde but obviously don't like the price. What say you?