Locks of basement exterior panels

I visited a Bighorn dealer with my brother-in-law last weekend and we were both surprised when a salesman pointed out to us that the keys to unlock the exterior panels of the basement compartment were identical from one unit to the other. To prove his point, he showed us the key of a Bighorn unit which was capable of unlocking exterior panels of 5 other Bighorn units. It was not a master key that he showed us, it was the key of one specific Bighorn unit.

I went to Home Depot to buy some replacement locks and found some made in China. Unfortunately, they had the same key codes. Is there any one of you who have ever replaced their locks and if so what brand are you using? Thank you!

retroxrider

I visited a Bighorn dealer with my brother-in-law last weekend and we were both surprised when a salesman pointed out to us that the keys to unlock the exterior panels of the basement compartment were identical from one unit to the other. To prove his point, he showed us the key of a Bighorn unit which was capable of unlocking exterior panels of 5 other Bighorn units. It was not a master key that he showed us, it was the key of one specific Bighorn unit.

I went to Home Depot to buy some replacement locks and found some made in China. Unfortunately, they had the same key codes. Is there any one of you who have ever replaced their locks and if so what brand are you using? Thank you!

Not only will your key fit other Bighorns, it will fit almost any other brand of camper too. My parents have a Cameo and my key will one their cargo doors!
Check Camping World. These replacement locks use the barrell type of key. I am looking to replace mine this spring.
2177A.JPG

If you notice from the picture in the link, the barrel lock sold at camping world has only one slot. Therfore, you need to leave the key in the lock. I know from experience:(. I Brought this lock replaced the orginial and found out that the key wouldn't come out in (your choice locked or unlocked position). You need a double slot barrel lock and make sure its 7/8" the 5/8" is too short. Also, by experience

ChopperBill

Locks only are for keeping "honest" folks out. If someone is going to steal something locks wont keep 'em out. I don't care what lock is on the door a "dishonest" thief is going to get in. Believe me they know about the keyed alike doors. With a medium size screw driver you can get into and RV storage door in about 2 seconds, the "dishonest thief" also knows that. If they are going to steal my stuff I would just as soon they not destroy hundreds of dollars worth of RV storage doors in the process.

jpmorgan37

I'm with you CB. The only time I lock mine is when I'm on the road traveling. When we're parked, they are unlocked and that way, if a neighbor needs something and I'm not around, they don't have to pry it open.

DennisZ

Geeksrus is correct on the size, I bought the 7/8 units that CW sells, and they are way short. the 1 1/18 locks are the correct size.

Dennis

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
A note about the barrel locks. I watched a video of someone unlocking one in about 10 seconds using the plastic barrel from a BIC type pen ... the white plastic barrel kind. The plastic on these pens is soft enough to mold itself to the insides of the locking mechanism and ... unlock the door. Also, there aren't that many different keys for the barrel type so someone else with a barrel lock key might be able to unlock your door.

Just my $0.02

jnbhobe

Exterior Locks

I use ace locks all the time all thou mine are registered. If you want to remove the key just grind or file off the tit on the end then it will come out in any position.

lvfun

Cyclone 4012 Owner
Round Locks

Just remember that when you purchase the round locks, that they all use about the same half-dozen keys also. I recommend talking to a local professional lock shop. I was able to have locks made with my own unique key.

ct0218

I don't lock mine most of the time. Regardless of the lock type, if someone wants in, they will get in. I really don't want to lose anything but I don't want the door destryed also. A simple screwdriver will get you in the compartment in seconds no matter what you use.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I don't lock mine most of the time. Regardless of the lock type, if someone wants in, they will get in. I really don't want to lose anything but I don't want the door destryed also. A simple screwdriver will get you in the compartment in seconds no matter what you use.

Would have to agree totally because one of my locks had to be replaced and was in the locked position. It only took me a few minutes to pop mine open and I was being careful not to damage the door. The thieves would not be so careful and quicker.....Ken