Recently upgraded trucks F-250 to Ram 3500

FiremanBill

Just kind of getting back on the forums here in the past few days and never really talked about getting my new (to me) truck.

We gout our Cyclone 3110 back in Feb of last year and towed with our 2004 F-250 for over a year with it. I had put on air bags and upgraded shocks it did ok but I really wanted a dually.

Then last winter I really started having some weird issues with 'ol blue. If it was below 40 it would not start unless the block heater was plugged up. Had it checked by several good diesel mechanics, the best two I know actually that work on our Fire Trucks, and no one could figure out why.

So I had enough and got rid of it. I gave full disclosure to the new owner that bought it from me and he was confident he would figure it out. I told him to keep it plugged up this coming winter just in case...

I found a really nice 2010 Ram, 2500 Bighorn edition up the road in Ashland VA, we struck a deal and I've been loving it ever since. I installed a B&W companion hitch in it and love it. I added some LED's in the bed for night hookups and such and that turned out really good. Towing with Bart (that's what we named him which stands for Big *** Ram Truck is sheer joy. Our first big trip was to Blacksburg VA up in the Blue Ridge mountains for my sons orientation at Virginia Tech. Going up and over Afton mountain was a breeze and Bart yanked that Cyclone up there and was happy doing it! He was like this is what I'm made for!!!

It is like night and day from that old F-250 to Bart. Glad our budget finally allowed it.

Attachments

• old truck.jpg
    old truck.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 128
  • my rig.jpg
    my rig.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 10346209_955938777755271_4993710892800687720_n.jpg
    10346209_955938777755271_4993710892800687720_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 136
I'm probably a little late posting.....I've been too busy reading and learning from the advice and experiences from some very competent people who contribute to helping others enjoy this great past time of RV-ing.

But i think i found a topic i know a little about, the 2010 Ram HD. It's a great truck, a beast compared to the 1997 5.9 12 valve 2500 we traded in for the 2010 3500 6.7. The 2010 begins the "Fourth Generation" of Ram Cuimmins Turbo Diesel trucks. The newer body style of the 2010, also incorporated the best of the Third Generation trucks, and included some refinements that have since been further refined in the newest models.

I think I'll stay away from any dealership with the newest models because i might become tempted. I found the 2010 to be all the truck i need to tow our 2014 3100 Cyclone. But that is a personal choice. I can wait until either we wear out this truck, which might take a long time, or trade into a 4500 or larger TV.

That said, i found only three issues with my truck. First is the TIPM. It is a solid state control board that looks just like a fuse box under the hood. The problem with the Third and Fourth Generation Rams, is that it controls your trailer circuits. The newest Rams went back to fuse protected trailer light circuits. You can search the internet for TIPM and find all sorts of problems, and remedies until your eyes cross. I haven't had any issues with the TIPM, but i check all my trailer wiring as often as i can. And until i cross off my list all my other projects and get to the TIPM bypass......i just won't hook up to any trailers with questionable wiring. I also replaced all my Cyclone running lights with LED's. Eleven running lights, and probably more than 60' of wire was drawing alot of amps

Second on the list, is the factory integrated brake controller. Until last year, i was using the truck to tow a 32' enclosed race trailer. It was maybe 7000# loaded and i hardly knew i was towing. When i hooked up the Cyclone for the first time, and set the brake controller to the max setting, i knew there was something wrong right away. The newer trucks have several options of trailer types, my 2010 does not. It was included in the 3500 "Tow package", and i think it was designed to handle just what the 2" receiver hitch was rated for......5000# is my best guess. First thing i did after getting home safely, was install a better brake controller

Third is the Boost Pump. Also right after hooking up for the first time, i noticed a hiss from the Boost Pump unless i applied brakes, or put pressure on the steering wheel. Turns out to be an easy fix, remove the Teflon liner in one of the hoses. I never heard a sound from the pump until i hooked up the 5th-wheel. It had to do with the weight in the bed i suspect, because it went away as soon as i unhooked. This issue and fix is also on the internet.

Other than those three issues, the 2010 is a beast. The engine will most likely outlast the truck with proper maintenance.

I'm right at my limits across the board on weights with the 3.73 rear end. I don't think i would want to tow any heavier, but as a recreational RV-er, and can choose my routes and time of day to travel, this is the truck !! I put 6500 miles on it this summer in the Canadian Rockies. And the exhaust brake was all i needed on the 6% grades and even the 8% grades if i slowed to 40 mph. Going up, most of the time i was in 4th or 5th gear unless i needed third gear and i was passing the big rigs who were crawling

danemayer

Hi Roundabout,

Welcome to the posting side of forum life and thanks for contributing to the discussion.

FiremanBill

I'm probably a little late posting.....I've been too busy reading and learning from the advice and experiences from some very competent people who contribute to helping others enjoy this great past time of RV-ing.

But i think i found a topic i know a little about, the 2010 Ram HD. It's a great truck, a beast compared to the 1997 5.9 12 valve 2500 we traded in for the 2010 3500 6.7. The 2010 begins the "Fourth Generation" of Ram Cuimmins Turbo Diesel trucks. The newer body style of the 2010, also incorporated the best of the Third Generation trucks, and included some refinements that have since been further refined in the newest models.

I think I'll stay away from any dealership with the newest models because i might become tempted. I found the 2010 to be all the truck i need to tow our 2014 3100 Cyclone. But that is a personal choice. I can wait until either we wear out this truck, which might take a long time, or trade into a 4500 or larger TV.

That said, i found only three issues with my truck. First is the TIPM. It is a solid state control board that looks just like a fuse box under the hood. The problem with the Third and Fourth Generation Rams, is that it controls your trailer circuits. The newest Rams went back to fuse protected trailer light circuits. You can search the internet for TIPM and find all sorts of problems, and remedies until your eyes cross. I haven't had any issues with the TIPM, but i check all my trailer wiring as often as i can. And until i cross off my list all my other projects and get to the TIPM bypass......i just won't hook up to any trailers with questionable wiring. I also replaced all my Cyclone running lights with LED's. Eleven running lights, and probably more than 60' of wire was drawing alot of amps

Second on the list, is the factory integrated brake controller. Until last year, i was using the truck to tow a 32' enclosed race trailer. It was maybe 7000# loaded and i hardly knew i was towing. When i hooked up the Cyclone for the first time, and set the brake controller to the max setting, i knew there was something wrong right away. The newer trucks have several options of trailer types, my 2010 does not. It was included in the 3500 "Tow package", and i think it was designed to handle just what the 2" receiver hitch was rated for......5000# is my best guess. First thing i did after getting home safely, was install a better brake controller

Third is the Boost Pump. Also right after hooking up for the first time, i noticed a hiss from the Boost Pump unless i applied brakes, or put pressure on the steering wheel. Turns out to be an easy fix, remove the Teflon liner in one of the hoses. I never heard a sound from the pump until i hooked up the 5th-wheel. It had to do with the weight in the bed i suspect, because it went away as soon as i unhooked. This issue and fix is also on the internet.

Other than those three issues, the 2010 is a beast. The engine will most likely outlast the truck with proper maintenance.

I'm right at my limits across the board on weights with the 3.73 rear end. I don't think i would want to tow any heavier, but as a recreational RV-er, and can choose my routes and time of day to travel, this is the truck !! I put 6500 miles on it this summer in the Canadian Rockies. And the exhaust brake was all i needed on the 6% grades and even the 8% grades if i slowed to 40 mph. Going up, most of the time i was in 4th or 5th gear unless i needed third gear and i was passing the big rigs who were crawling

Excellent info! Thanks. So far I have only had one issue with at Electronic throttle control (ETC) warning light. Need a reflash on the computer to clear that. I also get an intermittent windshield washer low warning light even though the tank is completely full. Did some reading up on that one and the interwebs are full of folks saying that the rainx fluid can cause that. I don't have that fluid mine so I may have a bad sensor. Minor inconvenience though.

All in all 6 months into owning it now and I still love it!