Towing question

Rpeterman

My wife and I are in the process of deciding what unit to purchase. We are very interested in the 3010re. Can this model be towed with a Ford F-250?

FiremanBill

What year F-250? More truck specs are needed to answer that question. Engine, gearing, cab configuration, etc.

It can be done I suppose, I towed a Cyclone for over a year with a 250 but am much happier with my 1 ton dually now.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My wife and I are in the process of deciding what unit to purchase. We are very interested in the 3010re. Can this model be towed with a Ford F-250?

You need to compare the vehicle specs (both towing [GCVW, axle rating, tire ratings] and payload) with the trailer specs. A lot of new RVer's neglect to consider the payload issues from a 5th wheel.

Bohemian

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...Truck-Payloads?p=386013&viewfull=1#post386013

A 3/4 ton 2500/250 SRW pickup typically has at most 2,000-3,200 lbs. max payload

3010RE has a GVWR of 15,500 lbs, thus one will expect the pin weight of a fully loaded 3010RE to be between 3,000-4,000 lbs.

Pin weight is only one of many components that add to the truck payload. All need to be considered.

Most 5th wheel hitches weigh between 250-500 lbs. including the frame mounting components., some more.

Payload includes not only the pin weight of the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel trailer and the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitch but also includes anything loaded into the towing pickup truck reducing the amount available to the 5th wheel trailer

.............................people, tools, bed covers, bedliners, any truck modifications, air bags, toys, dogs, cats, snacks, etc.

aatauses

This is good advice----check what the mfg suggest for towing and payloads along with what others have said. My comment would be NOT to listen to a dealer---usually they will tell you that anything will tow it just to get the sale----do your own research and look at the actual spec/weights/etc.
al

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This is good advice----check what the mfg suggest for towing and payloads along with what others have said. My comment would be NOT to listen to a dealer---usually they will tell you that anything will tow it just to get the sale----do your own research and look at the actual spec/weights/etc.
al

This is the truth!

When purchasing a trailer, you need to know which tow vehicle you will have and where you will be towing before you will know which trailer you should be towing.

Manzan

I think we did things backward--chose the trailer we wanted then bought TV set up to haul it the bought the trailer. We had a Jayco tent trailer when we went to an RV show. There we saw the hard side we wanted and ordered a Suburban set up to pull it. Tent trailer looked sort of silly behind it but that lasted only a year. It was great knowing that there would be no problems when we took the hard side out on its shakedown trip.

Jim.Allison

Forget the F250, get a F350 HD. I tow with RAM 2500, it runs like a scalded dog and handles and rides like a Cadillac. But if I had it to do over again I would definately go with the 3500. 20 inch wheels make the difference on the 1 tons. The 20 inch tires are rated at 3640 in the Transforce AT and in other tire lines there are 3750 lb tires.

shurack24

If you do not already own teh F250, and are debating the difference between F250/F350 SRW, consider this, the cost difference between F250/F350 is relatively small. The GCVW's are relatively close, but the payload difference is substanialy between the two. If you haven't purchased yet, then go for an F350. For example; the payload for a 158" wheelbase supercab goes from f250=2165lbs to an f350=3257. Thats just over 1,000 lbs increase.
Payload is a critical factor with fith wheels.
Do some analysis for yourself, check the specs for the specific truck you are looking at, and understand the expected pin weights of the unit you will tow. Above all else; remember how to tell when an RV-dealer is lying....his lips are moving.
Wish you teh best.

porthole

Retired
350/3500 sure isn't overkill. One thing with pickup trucks is that for the most part, there really is no pickup that is "to big" for the current crop of full size 5th wheels.

And no matter what anyone tells you, it will not:
> get 22-23 mpg
> ride like a cadillac
> tow your 5th wheel like it is not even hooked up
> stop like your 5th wheel is not hooked up
> make an undersized truck legitimate by adding aftermarket suspension components and tires.
> or for the most part, most of the other superlatives that many use.

With the newest trucks you will get:
> the most efficient trucks made considering the multitude of emissions components > that are now in place.
> the cleanest running diesels ever made
> some of the neatest tech available
> trucks that are quite capable of towing today's 5th wheels, within their respective capabilities.

With any of the new trucks you will most likely:
> need air bags with some of the bigger 5th wheels
> desire after market shocks

> not need to waste money disconnecting emission componets. Getting harder to do anyway, as most disconnects need some type of "programmer" to bypass the ECM and PCM's. That's if you will still be able ot buy a programmer within the next year.

And if you are not looking at the bigger heavier trailers and towing around the country, something else to consider is a gasoline engined pickup.

We have two members here at camp now with an older Ford F-250 and a new Ram 2500. both pulling Bighorns.

The Ram is getting about 7 mpg towing. 7 mpg really isn't that bad considering the cost difference between a gasoline or diesel pickup or the price difference between regular and diesel fuel. just requires more stops.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim.Allison

If your late model HD (2500/250 or 3500/350 TV does not ride well, does not stop as expected, does not get 22 mpg (unloaded) 10 to13 (loaded) then perhaps you should be looking for a new TV or smaller fiver.

jnbhobe

If your late model HD (2500/250 or 3500/350 TV does not ride well, does not stop as expected, does not get 22 mpg (unloaded) 10 to13 (loaded) then perhaps you should be looking for a new TV or smaller fiver.

I don't understand ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Birchwood

A late model (2015) ford F250 diesel has only a 3 leaf suspension.Your truck will be dragging its rear.A 3/4 GM will handle this load in stride but a Ford will not.I think Ford has received many complaints about a poor ride from its F250 and lightened up the suspension.
Stay away from Ford until they get it right.

Jim.Allison

Ditto, its even better on the 2015s

If you do not already own teh F250, and are debating the difference between F250/F350 SRW, consider this, the cost difference between F250/F350 is relatively small. The GCVW's are relatively close, but the payload difference is substanialy between the two. If you haven't purchased yet, then go for an F350. For example; the payload for a 158" wheelbase supercab goes from f250=2165lbs to an f350=3257. Thats just over 1,000 lbs increase.
Payload is a critical factor with fith wheels.
Do some analysis for yourself, check the specs for the specific truck you are looking at, and understand the expected pin weights of the unit you will tow. Above all else; remember how to tell when an RV-dealer is lying....his lips are moving.
Wish you teh best.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I get around 12-14 MPG with my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser when not hauling . . .

Of course, I've got the 4.10 rear end, so I expected to not get as good of mileage.

Took this shot of the truck today on Lookout Mountain near Golden, Colorado:

TruckOnLookoutMountain-IMG_20141010_134015656.jpg

Jim.Allison

Nice rig. Dont worry, If I see you towing up Raton, I will give you a little push. LOL. Just kidding, I doubt you will need it with the 4:10s