Stainless "RV head" Screws

floridarandy

I'm going to be pulling the drip rail install Eternabond where the top meets the rip rail as well as reseat the screws on the awning rail with double sided Eternabond. I want to replace the original screws with stainless and have heard they are available with the standard "square" RV screw head commonly used. My project is a couple weeks out so mail order is OK. Thanks in advance. Randy in Florida

branson4020

Icantre Member
Both my Home Depot and Ace Hardware stores have a good selection of these. You can also order them online from Home Depot.

aatauses

I also want to say thanks about the stainless---I want to replace all the ones in the shower as they are starting to rust and want to change them before they break
al

porthole

Retired
West marine, online has the square heads in stainless.

McMasterCarr.com has everything

Mcfeeleys.com is also an excellent resource.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing to keep in mind. A stainless steel screw is not near as strong as steel screw. Be careful when you tighten them down...you can twist the head off really easy.

Last edited:

MTPockets

One thing to keep in mind. A stainless steel screw is not near as strong as steel screw. Be careful when you tighten them down...you can twist the head off really ease.
Bob is correct, it's happened to me too. I always use SS screws, washers, fasteners of all kinds. This is from my boating days when we lived & travelled on our 39 ft. Trawler. Question: why do you want the square drive screws instead of the more easily available Philips? Just curious. Also, I've used West Marine over the years for a variety of solid SS items; screws, bolts, hooks, straps, eye bolts, etc...

porthole

Retired
One thing to keep in mind. A stainless steel screw is not near as strong as steel screw. Be careful when you tighten them down...you can twist the head off really ease.

Bob brings up a good point with the average stainless screws.

The proper size pilot hole, especially in harder materials, is important.

Many times I have drilled the pilot then used the screw to start the threads. Once threaded I use use a new screw.
Typically I did this with fiberglass or aluminum work.

floridarandy

Bob brings up a good point with the average stainless screws.

The proper size pilot hole, especially in harder materials, is important.

Many times I have drilled the pilot then used the screw to start the threads. Once threaded I use use a new screw.
Typically I did this with fiberglass or aluminum work.

Good info, but in this case I'll be replacing steel with stainless so hopefully the breakage will be less of an issue.