Whirlpool Washer Door Problem

icechex

Seem to have a problem with the door. My wife has to 'slam' the door shut (often) to make the washer begin it's cycle. I read on this site about another brand washer with a similar problem and in that case they took the door off and took it apart and found some 'loose parts/broken parts' and with a little epoxy and some 'engineering' they corrected the problem. Before I do the same with this Whirlpool washer I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Thanks in advance...

D.

adam

Not sure what model you have but here is a thought;

I used to think ours had a faulty door too, but our last Whirlpool washer and our current one requires you to close the door then push and HOLD the start button to begin the cycle. Its not just a quick "push" on the start button.

My wife had that one figured out......(I felt really stupid when she showed me!). It might be worth a try??

icechex

Not sure what model you have but here is a thought;

I used to think ours had a faulty door too, but our last Whirlpool washer and our current one requires you to close the door then push and HOLD the start button to begin the cycle. Its not just a quick "push" on the start button.

My wife had that one figured out......(I felt really stupid when she showed me!). It might be worth a try??

Thanks for the idea, but wife said that the instructions say to hold the button till the light quits blinking and then (supposedly) the cycle will start. She's held it in for over a minute thinking it might work. So far the only thing that works (on those times when it fails to start) is ... "slamming the door," which, in my opinion will only produce more problems down the road. Anyway... thanks!

icechex

Adam - btw, I've got the same truck as you have and was wondering your 'pulling' mileage. Mine has 20,000 miles on it.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Thanks for the idea, but wife said that the instructions say to hold the button till the light quits blinking and then (supposedly) the cycle will start. She's held it in for over a minute thinking it might work. So far the only thing that works (on those times when it fails to start) is ... "slamming the door," which, in my opinion will only produce more problems down the road. Anyway... thanks!

We have the same Whirlpool washer and the same issue. Slamming the door is a recipe for future issues. My DW (who has more patience than I) has found that the washer balks when the clothes load is too heavy. She has found that by reducing the wash load (taking out an item or two), it will merrily do its thing. Didn't know the washer weighed the load, but apparently ours does. Even so, after pushing and holding start button, when the door lock light illuminates, it may still be a minute or so before the wash cycle starts. You may give this a try before you start dismantling the door.

gorr

We had the same problem . Fifth time we tried to use the washer, nothing worked (didn't try slamming the door). Took it to to an appliance repair shop. It was a faulty door switch and he said it was not that uncommon . It is working again

icechex

We have the same Whirlpool washer and the same issue. Slamming the door is a recipe for future issues. My DW (who has more patience than I) has found that the washer balks when the clothes load is too heavy. She has found that by reducing the wash load (taking out an item or two), it will merrily do its thing. Didn't know the washer weighed the load, but apparently ours does. Even so, after pushing and holding start button, when the door lock light illuminates, it may still be a minute or so before the wash cycle starts. You may give this a try before you start dismantling the door.

thanks for the help... we'll try the 'clothes unloading' and see if that helps. Will let you know. Thanks again.

icechex

We had the same problem . Fifth time we tried to use the washer, nothing worked (didn't try slamming the door). Took it to to an appliance repair shop. It was a faulty door switch and he said it was not that uncommon . It is working again

We may have to replace ours (switch) too. Thanks for the input.

porthole

Retired
On the chance that Splendide users are following this thread, here is a tip. DO NOT slam the door. The internal latch is plastic and can break.

Although, I was able to make an on the road temporary repair with two wire ties. Still working after 2 years.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD