How can I get heat to the back of my '15 Cyclone 4100?

How do we get heat to the back of our 2015 cyclone 4100 toy hauler 5th wheel? There seems to be heat ducks in the garage.

jbeletti

Have you tried your furnace yet? The heat duct would likely be low-mounted on a wall in the garage. Warm air should come out of it when the furnace is running. It may be a very long run from the furnace - so not sure how effective it will be for you. Other toyhauler owners can weigh in here with their experiences, especially, if they made improvements to heating the garage.

Lynn1130

Heat or air conditioning to the garage in the Cyclone is pretty much a joke. The runs are too long and in my case the duct work for the heat was kinked during install and cut the flow even more. There are several threads on here where some have done some work to make it better but the duct just as well not be there for all of the heat that makes it back there.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

szewczyk_john

do you have a fantastic fan in the garage. We use the fantastic fan to move air thru our trailer. works for both heating and cooling. If you set it on a low speed and crack a bedroom window just a hair, it will pull air thru the trailer. It does help to circulate the air but you furnace will kick on more often. I also use a ceramic heater and I keep a "gas buddy" propane heater in the unit if I have electrical issues as a back up. They run off of the small 1 pound propane bottles. I have read posts on here were the duct work was blocked totally off, so you should start with that by using a flashlight and mirrors to look into the duct work.

porthole

Retired
Our cyclone does not have the furnace duct, so we rely on other sources.

I have one of the original Pelonis ceramics that works fairly well. I also have an industrial infrared heater that we use when it gets cold enough.

I also have an electric flat panel wall heater that we may try this year.

For what ever we use though, I added a 20 amp circuit on its own breaker for the garage.

Last edited:

Lynn1130

John, did you mean Big Buddy Heater? I use that on elk hunts when the garage is being used as a bedroom and we have no electrical hookups. With that on, the furnace on a low setting and the doors between the garage and living area open it stays at a very nice temp.

ILH

With the kids using the bunks in the back, I've always been reluctant to use electric heaters through the night. I do preheat the area however. Then, during the night I use electric blankets or electric mattress covers plus a small clip-on fan that I position on the door frame to push air into the garage. Seems to work fine.

szewczyk_john

yes that is the same thing just a different name. I have the bigger one that accepts 2 1 pound propane bottles on each side and even on the lowest setting, we some times shut it down because it gets to hot. My unit has the smallest garage. but I have a plug (and a cable connection) to the right of the man door in the garage. Mine came with a 2 shelf unit about 4 or 6 inches wide and then a row of cabinets trailer wide over the sliding door. I do not like to use the propane heater over night for safety reasons but I would use it in an emergency. They are exhaustless and have build in tip overs but they do need a big radius because the create so much heat. The unit itself stays cool but the heat created is so intense.

Duane and I have the same floor plan under different badging. I also do not have a duct branch from the furnace into the garage but I was referring to others posting about blocked duct work.

Lynn1130

I have the large one also. My son-in-law says it gets too hot on the top bunk if it is set anything above low but we have been toasty down to +10 with no issues. I keep the vents open for safety and it has worked great. I would still like to insulate the floor at some point.

We have a 2014 cyclone 4100 HD and they only give you fan and air condition in the garage. That is what Heartland has told us.

I have the third ac unit on my 2015 haven't tried it yet but I understand that the ac has a heat strip. Along with the furnace I would assume it would take care of heating the garage any thoughts? I was also told that the duct work on the ac's were tied together so the other units should aid in heating.

danemayer

I have the third ac unit on my 2015 haven't tried it yet but I understand that the ac has a heat strip. Along with the furnace I would assume it would take care of heating the garage any thoughts? I was also told that the duct work on the ac's were tied together so the other units should aid in heating.

Hi campr-pete,

Congratulations on your new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure someone with a similar 3 AC unit / Heat Strip configuration will comment on whether the heat strips use the duct work, and how good a job the heat strips do in the garage.