Is this unit compatable as a replacement for the stock DVD/stereo?

TxCowboy

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX371/Kenwood-DDX371.html?tp=5684

Need to replace the stock DVD/stereo player in a 2011 Greystone 32RL. Went to the Crutchfield website and did a brief online chat with one of their people only to learn that they haven't researched stereo system compatibility in RVs.

Looking at the Kenwood DDX 371. Is this system a viable replacement for the stock system?

The link is above.

If this system isn't a good replacement, do you have a recommendation?

Thanks!

Jim.Allison

Im no expert but I can tell you what I did;

I bought a 500 watt Yamaha receiver "package" at Best Buy. I got the receiver and speakers for a reasonable price. It is a very good home theater system. I abandoned the Big Country speakers but left them in place. You can't use them with typical home theater systems as their impedance is to low. They might last a little while as long as you don't put any volume in them. If you want surround sound you can add a dongle that will bluetooth the signal to speakers you can place behind your listening position. With the sound quality I achieved, I did not pursue the surround feature.

My kit came with left, right, center speakers, two speakers for the surround system, and a subwoofer. it automatically checks the environment for the balance and tones to give the best sounds. It is a tremendous improvement over the OEM system.

IF you are into solar power and run off an inverter it consumes about 5 amps, in addition to the internal power consumption of the inverter. If you are on shore power then you don't care.

The upshot is that any home theater system will work but you will probably have to abandon the OEM speakers in favor of the quality speakers that come with a package or speakers of your choice. I recommend receivers that use separate components such as Blu Ray dvd player. Builtins create problems as far as I'm concerned.

The Yamaha was just one that was available at the time, I did not choose it for any other reason than it provided the features that I needed for the price I wanted to pay. I was fortunate that there was a very good sales person there that understood my requirements including my solar.

The whole system cost me about $400. I also installed a stand alone Blu Ray/DVD player. The installation really fixed up my system and gave me the sound that we should have. I got a discount for opening a Best Buy account and got another $40 off the purchase of the system.

Need to replace the stock DVD/stereo player in a 2011 Greystone 32RL. Went to the Crutchfield website and did a brief online chat with one of their people only to learn that they haven't researched stereo system compatibility in RVs.

Looking at the Kenwood DDX 371. Is this system a viable replacement for the stock system?

The link is above.

Thanks!

Jim.Allison

I'm sorry, I was going back to look at your link and discovered you were looking at a automotive sound system, I thought you were talking about replacing a crummy sound system like I had in my fiver. LOL. But that looks like a cool automotive system. Its been so long since I shopped for a system for my car that I could not possibly tell you anything about them.

Jim, thanks for posting. I'll check into those system improvements.

TxCowboy

I'm sorry, I was going back to look at your link and discovered you were looking at a automotive sound system, I thought you were talking about replacing a crummy sound system like I had in my fiver. LOL. But that looks like a cool automotive system. Its been so long since I shopped for a system for my car that I could not possibly tell you anything about them.

Jim, I am looking to replace the unit in the 5er. If there is a better source, please pass it on! :)

Jim.Allison

I bought the 500 watt system because it was in a complet kit with all the speakers. It just happened to be 500 watts. The amp usage was within tolerance for my solar power system. I would advise going with a name brand that you are comfortable with, Sony makes one, Yamaha, and there are a few others. Try to find a kit, they are good values. If you have questions let me know, I just completed mine and I love it, infact that OEM RV receiver is still sitting in my garage. I dont know what I'm going to do with it. LOL

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-500w-5-1-ch-3d-home-theater-system/4372018.p;jsessionid=F7E3D9729C85F1FE130E0B4581AB0EFE.bbolsp-app04-169?id=1219098067770&skuId=4372018&st=categoryid$pcmcat186600050005&cp=1&lp=2

Jim, I am looking to replace the unit in the 5er. If there is a better source, please pass it on! :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

The link is above.

Thanks!

What unit do you have now?

Post a photo if you can.

TxCowboy

The stock DVD/CD/stereo in a 2011 Greystone 32RL is the Touch Audio. The system still works but the display has failed.

The screen/head unit measures about 10 inches diagonally and has three separate speaker zones (A - living room, B - bedroom, and C - exterior). It does have a weather band and that "always on" alert system.

EDIT: Tried to add this as a new post but I'm having a problem with the website.

Question: Where is the DC circuit breaker panel located? I've been reading that if I can remove power to the radio circuit for five minutes or so it might restore the digital readout. Regardless, I would need to turn that breaker off to install a new system anyway.

Attachments

• Touch Audio System Pic 1.JPG
    Touch Audio System Pic 1.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Touch Audio System Pic 2.JPG
    Touch Audio System Pic 2.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

TxCowboy

Never mind, gang. Fixed the stock system by removing then restoring the DC power. <head slap>