First-Timers Orientation Meeting during National Rally - ideas?

jbeletti

Several people over the last year have suggested that we have a program (orientation) at the National Rallies for "first-timers". First-timers in this sense, being those who are registered to attend a North American Heartland Owners Rally (aka - the National), where this will be their first time at a National Rally, but not necessarily their first Heartland rally.

So I throw this out there to all who have been to the National Rally. Thinking back to your first time at one of these:
  1. What was the most mysterious, going into your first event?
  2. What questions did you have going in, that was not answered online or in the rally packet?
  3. If there would have been an Orientation Meeting of some sort for first-timers, what items would you have liked to have seen covered in the meeting?

Below is what I'm thinking right now, but I really want to hear from others.

The upcoming 2015 North American Heartland Owners Rally in Goshen will officially start at 8 am on a Tuesday and will end after breakfast the following Sunday.

Traditionally, and planned for 2015, we'll have an All-Attendee Welcome/Dessert Reception Tuesday evening at 7 pm. We do a complete agenda walk-through that evening for everyone an we take questions. So, I'm thinking a First-Timer Orientation Meeting would be something we'd want to do "before' Tuesday evening. In fact, I'm thinking about having it at 8:30 am on Tuesday in a private meeting room with coffee and donuts. The meeting style would be relaxed/informal. All First-timers would be identified during the rally registration process and would be invited to this meeting. They'd be asked to bring their agendas and wear their club badges. Julie and I would run the meeting and we'd have a couple of seasoned Rally Veterans on-hand to help.

A quick bulleted list of agenda items might be:
  • Welcome
  • Introduction of speakers
  • Suggestion to wear club badges* during the entire rally
  • Go through the rally agenda
  • Take questions
  • Just generally give the First-timer a sense of what they can expect during the rally and give them ideas on how they can get the most benefit from their rally

* It has been suggested that First-timers be easily identifiable to others in some way. Most suggestions are similar. Some sort of badge hanger or ribbon. So I am thinking through that, but I like the idea. Not so much to be a target but really, to be an identifier so all the Rally Veterans can go out of their way to welcome the First-timers and ask if they have any questions or need any hello with anything. You know - putting the Heart in Heartland :)

Give me some feedback you National Rally Veteran!

Thanks!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think it would have been a nice thing as this past year at urbanna was not only our first national rally but first rally overall. We did have an advantage I like to think in that we were friends with jay and Stella along with Dave and Nancy. So that helped us to have "goto" people that had an idea of what was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of a first timers orientation, but we can't count on all first timers being there at a given time.
Some may be coming in later in the week.
Perhaps something like a small two person welcoming committee presenting alms a few hours after arrival.
This would be a personal welcome and no one would miss a meeting.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I think it would have been a nice thing as this past year at urbanna was not only our first national rally but first rally overall. We did have an advantage I like to think in that we were friends with jay and Stella along with Dave and Nancy. So that helped us to have "goto" people that had an idea of what was going on.

Agree with you completely Andy. I think it was in Urbanna that I heard it first about having a meeting for newbies.

I'm planning a way the First-timers can have a "go-to" person for the rally when they have questions.

Keep the feedback coming with specific thoughts and ideas on what the First-timer needs to know, apart from simply reading their agenda.

jbeletti

I like the idea of a first timers orientation, but we can't count on all first timers being there at a given time.
Some may be coming in later in the week.
Perhaps something like a small two person welcoming committee presenting alms a few hours after arrival.
This would be a personal welcome and no one would miss a meeting.
Just a thought. Peace. Dave

Dave - good stuff. Yes, to the personal welcome. Hoyt and Mary, as Chapter leaders in the state we are rallying in, will be official "Rally Co-Hosts", much the same as Eric and Dorothy were in Urbanna. Last night over dinner, I asked our North Central Region Directors, Dan and Karen Halvorsen to assist in this same capacity - Rally Co-Hosts. I am still developing the job description but really looking forward to formalizing this as a permanent aspect of the National rallies.

In terms of the best time to do the Orientation, I hear you on the fact that some attendees actually arrive during the rally and miss some or all of the entire first day of the rally - due to WORK!!! < bad word but it helps with the RV payment :)

That said, the orientation is best given "before" things kick into high gear. And once the rally is in high gear, resources get scare. So for the first application of this new program, I'm favoring a single session at 8:30 am Tuesday. But I'm keeping my ears and mind open. Maybe over lunch time is better??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This is a good idea...they do this in Good Sam Rallies. First Timers are given a "first time ribbon" for easy identification...does make it easy for experienced rally attendees to meet and help out the newbies.

szewczyk_john

Our first Goshen rally in 2011 was our first ever heartland rally and the very first time we had the new trailer out for a trip. We made it to a PA state rally a week before goshen but only as a day guest since it was held basically in my backyard. We had no idea what to expect. we got there early and saw trailers being worked on but had no idea that it had to be scheduled in advanced. We were along the fence and all the way on an end. We did not have any visitors and upset the neighbors as the outside speakers were on and we had no idea.

I know that I am anti social by nature and tend to do my own thing but having experienced people explain things would be a very good idea. We enjoyed Urbanna so much more than Goshen and I think it was because we knew what to expect and which seminars to attend. Putting faces to names from this site also helped.

As this club attracts younger and newer members, it would be helpful if the regional and state leaders made it around to those that they did not know just to make an introduction.

slborba

Jim, I am a Heartland Newbie (December 2013) and have not attended a Heartland Rally. I think it would be great to have a "Heartland Mentorship Program", of sorts. A person/couple that is an experienced Heartland Owner/Rally attendee. They can be the primary POC for the newbie on:

1. Heartland rally "norms" (meet/greet, seminars, potluck s, etc.)
2. Ensure the newbie has their owners plaque/badges (if in owners club)
3. Reserve a site for the newbie next to them
4. Provide details on pre-rally information (why do it???)
5. Used as the individualized "welcome committee" upon newbie arrival and start introductions to others.
6. Help newbie on first day with "the lay of the land"; generally getting around.
7. What to bring?? BBQ, table (provided at site??), kayaks, hiking gear......etc.
(Just enough above to get the brain-stormin' going).......

I'm active duty USN and of the mind-set "you can't have enough information"......the more one gets before events (missions), the more successful the outcome.

i don't know if I'll be able to make the 2015 National Rally, but if I do ....... I'll be reaching out to those experienced HEARTLand Ralliers to keep me on track with information/advice so the rally exceeds my expectations.

Just my humble "Heartland Newbie" opinion.

Steve

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Jim, I am a Heartland Newbie (December 2013) and have not attended a Heartland Rally. I think it would be great to have a "Heartland Mentorship Program", of sorts. A person/couple that is an experienced Heartland Owner/Rally attendee. They can be the primary POC for the newbie on:

1. Heartland rally "norms" (meet/greet, seminars, potluck s, etc.)
2. Ensure the newbie has their owners plaque/badges (if in owners club)
3. Reserve a site for the newbie next to them
4. Provide details on pre-rally information (why do it???)
5. Used as the individualized "welcome committee" upon newbie arrival and start introductions to others.
6. Help newbie on first day with "the lay of the land"; generally getting around.
7. What to bring?? BBQ, table (provided at site??), kayaks, hiking gear......etc.
(Just enough above to get the brain-stormin' going).......

I'm active duty USN and of the mind-set "you can't have enough information"......the more one gets before events (missions), the more successful the outcome.

i don't know if I'll be able to make the 2015 National Rally, but if I do ....... I'll be reaching out to those experienced HEARTLand Ralliers to keep me on track with information/advice so the rally exceeds my expectations.

Just my humble "Heartland Newbie" opinion.

Steve

Hi Steve, next year would be a great time to find out what rallies are all about. There are two practically in your back yard. The VA chapter rally is in Temperenceville, VA, is in mid-May just across the MD border on the DelMarva. Then MD has a state club rally the last weekend in June. We love to meet new Heartlanders and you'll be more than welcome at both of these.

VKTalley

Jim, I like this idea. I also like the idea presented by a couple of people who suggested having a couple of teams that their job is to welcome and "mentor" all our new rally attendees. Like you said, put the HEART into Heartland. I can understand how intimidating a large rally is to someone who's never been to a rally.

danemayer

Ask old timers to save a place at their dinner table for a new couple. Also, let the new people know that if dinner starts at 6:00, you should show up earlier along with the experienced rallyers.

jbeletti

Our first Goshen rally in 2011 was our first ever heartland rally and the very first time we had the new trailer out for a trip. We made it to a PA state rally a week before goshen but only as a day guest since it was held basically in my backyard. We had no idea what to expect. we got there early and saw trailers being worked on but had no idea that it had to be scheduled in advanced. We were along the fence and all the way on an end. We did not have any visitors and upset the neighbors as the outside speakers were on and we had no idea.

I know that I am anti social by nature and tend to do my own thing but having experienced people explain things would be a very good idea. We enjoyed Urbanna so much more than Goshen and I think it was because we knew what to expect and which seminars to attend. Putting faces to names from this site also helped.

As this club attracts younger and newer members, it would be helpful if the regional and state leaders made it around to those that they did not know just to make an introduction.

Hi John - thank you for sharing your story. I'm hopeful that what we end up doing us helpful and well attended. As it will be our first one, we will learn from it and do even better the next time out.

As for leaders making efforts to meet their members - they do their best, but we (myself and Julie) can do a better job of letting leaders know who in their club will be there and on what site. That will make it easier for leaders to get around to say hello. The thing we can't control though is while you can make Goshen, your chapter leader might not. This may not be the case for PA, but it is for many other chapters. Still a great point and we will work on this - thank you for sharing!

jbeletti

This is a good idea...they do this in Good Sam Rallies. First Timers are given a "first time ribbon" for easy identification...does make it easy for experienced rally attendees to meet and help out the newbies.

Kathy - if you have any additional info from the Good Sam First Timer program, please pass it to me. Thank you for sharing that we're "on base" in terms of having a program like this.

jbeletti

Steve (slobrba),

First, thank you for your active duty service.

Thank you also for your ideas. For the Goshen rally, we try to do our best to "cover attendees with paper". The rally packet for this rally is THICK :) Pre-rally attendees get their rally bags "when they arrive" and their bags include their pre-rally agenda.

Pre-rally and rally agendas are posted on the Rally Portal as is much of the other paperwork. I mention it constantly from about December through rally time. So on the info portion, up front and in the rally bags, for the Goshen rally, we cover a lot and do so pretty thoroughly.

For the non-Mil newbie, all that paperwork can be a bit overwhelming But - that's why we're all having this conversation.

Thanks again for all the ideas and we hope to see you in 2015 and if not then, then down the road. Stay safe and again, thank you for your service.

jbeletti

Jim, I like this idea. I also like the idea presented by a couple of people who suggested having a couple of teams that their job is to welcome and "mentor" all our new rally attendees. Like you said, put the HEART into Heartland. I can understand how intimidating a large rally is to someone who's never been to a rally.

Thanks Val. We will do our best to ensure that in addition to being welcomed upon arrival (as is done now at check-in by the parking team), that each attendee gets a brief personal visit, at their site, from the Welcome Team :)

Looking forward to seeing you and Malcolm in Goshen and putting Malcolm to work as head of the photography/social media team :)

VKTalley

Thanks Val. We will do our best to ensure that in addition to being welcomed upon arrival (as is done now at check-in by the parking team), that each attendee gets a brief personal visit, at their site, from the Welcome Team :)

Looking forward to seeing you and Malcolm in Goshen and putting Malcolm to work as head of the photography/social media team :)

I understand we will see you at the NC rally at the end of October too! Goshen will be fun next year! He and I are already working on ideas for that Photography/Social Media team! I like Dan's idea too! What a great way to make a new rally attendee feel welcomed!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
A one or two page - summary of things to expect or things to plan ahead for may be good if sent out in advance such as when signing up for the rally. This could be a good reminder for all attendees. This summary could be as simple as a list of things that need to be pre-scheduled such as service or things to bring to the rally such as items for sale/trade/donation.

If chapter leaders are known to be attending - make sure the new rally attendee knows who there chapter leader is and what site they are on. A list of all leaders and the site they are on could be a useful resource for everyone.

Name badges are really nice at the rallies. New people can learn a lot from those badges. It was very nice to see everyone wearing their badges frequently at the Central region rally in Amana. It was a good reference for me.

Steve (slobrba),

First, thank you for your active duty service.

Thank you also for your ideas. For the Goshen rally, we try to do our best to "cover attendees with paper". The rally packet for this rally is THICK :) Pre-rally attendees get their rally bags "when they arrive" and their bags include their pre-rally agenda.

Pre-rally and rally agendas are posted on the Rally Portal as is much of the other paperwork. I mention it constantly from about December through rally time. So on the info portion, up front and in the rally bags, for the Goshen rally, we cover a lot and do so pretty thoroughly.

For the non-Mil newbie, all that paperwork can be a bit overwhelming But - that's why we're all having this conversation.

Thanks again for all the ideas and we hope to see you in 2015 and if not then, then down the road. Stay safe and again, thank you for your service.

TXTiger

I purchased my rig one month before my first rally which was the 2012 National Rally in Gillette. I had never had any RV before. I practlly drove from the dealer to the Rally. Although I was there to get as much information about how to use and maintain my new RV at the seminars the best memories I have are of the camp fire get togethers each evening with all my new Heartland friends. I think an evening get together of all new attendees would be a way to show them how much fun a Rally is.