New E289 Owners

'Lil Guy'

Here we go again, moving up one foot at a time. Loved our NT21FBS. Then it happened. We attended a rally and toured our neighbors full profile 5er. Wow. Every time we walked back to our TT it seemed to get smaller and smaller. Just had to move up but were limited to weight and size. Didn't want to go over max payload of my Ram 2500CTD. Like the floor plan of the 289 even though it's only 31'4". Seemed like a good choice to start out with. Ordered it with the Mor/Ryde pin box and will take delivery next Thursday. Almost went with the ER34TSRE but was afraid of the hitch weight. No braces in back to mount a ladder and no slam latches. The sinks were plastic and so was the sink faucets. We're going to Lowes to pick out different ones and the dealer will install them for us. But not comparing apples to oranges, this isn't a luxury 5th wheel. We'll get our feet wet and see how it handles on the road next weekend. A little intimidated just hooking up to this let alone a bigger full profile rig. Anyway, we have a new 5th wheel "Lil Guy". Now when it rains we'll have a place to sit and watch tv without sitting on the bed or at the dinette. Hope we have as good of luck with this unit as we did with our NT21. Later and have a great day.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats!! I'm sure you'll love your ER as much as we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Thanks all. For someone who didn't want a bigger rig, I couldn't get Debbie out of the bigger units. We'll see how tis handles and if I can get used to hauling it. I'll bet this isn't the last one. Retirement could mean that 1 ton truck and the appropriate toy.lol Someone has to keep Heartland in business. In the mean time we'll enjoy this and get used to towing a 5th wheel. Thanks for the replies.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Awesome Frank. My DW just asked me now that you bought a 5th wheel are you no longer a lil guy and now a big boy? Lol. Congrats and hope to see you at a louisiana rally soon.

TravelTiger

Awesome Frank. My DW just asked me now that you bought a 5th wheel are you no longer a lil guy and now a big boy? Lol. Congrats and hope to see you at a louisiana rally soon.

Yes, be careful. We went from a similar "lil guy" to "the Mammoth", because that's how it seemed!
1ea2541d77ab4d280891165536c0f9e8.jpg

'Lil Guy'

We're looking forward to our next rally. If we slip in after dark, we might pass off as a bigger unit but we're still going to be the "Lil Guy". Just walking out on the lot with the mid size on the right and the big boys on the left, pretty noticeable difference. And yes, Mammoth is an appropriate name for one of those things. It's like the difference in a 2500 and a 3500 DRW. Maybe we'll grow into one in the future but as for now, this thing looks big to us. Still have no idea what it's going to feel like towing this mid size 5th wheel. Mainly backing it into a space. All of this after we finally figured out how to communicate with the TT and started talking again. Ding, let the shouting and gestures begin. Again, you get what you pay for and you can really see the difference in this rig and the luxury models but for now this is the one for us. Only reason I noticed all the upgraded features other than size was I kept having to pull Debbie out of the big ones to come look at the one I was going to buy. The old saying of 1 foot at a time is really going to get expensive before this is over. On a serious note, Heartland should be really proud of it's owners club. Since making our 1st rally, I doubt we will ever look at a different make of RV again. Great fun loving people with a knack for having a good time. No matter what size or model of Heartland rig you have, every Heartland owner needs to attend at least one rally. Bet it won't be their last. Later and have a great day.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Frank and Debbie, congrats on the new bigger rig. There are still rallies in Louisiana and Oklahoma that you can likely get into.

'Lil Guy'

It's a ways out but we're eyeballing the Louisiana rally in Kinder. I think we'll try to make it. Haven't heard of the one in Oklahoma. Making these plans and don't even know how to set up my hitch when it get's here Thursday. It adjusts between 13 and 17" in 2" moves. I guess I'll put in the middle and go for it. Boy, what a rookie.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: New E289 Owners...

On a serious note, Heartland should be really proud of it's owners club. Since making our 1st rally, I doubt we will ever look at a different make of RV again. Great fun loving people with a knack for having a good time. No matter what size or model of Heartland rig you have, every Heartland owner needs to attend at least one rally. Bet it won't be their last. Later and have a great day.

Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:

We attended our first two rallies this past summer . . .

And one night last week we decided that we can't wait six months till spring to go camping, so we booked ourselves in at the Arizona HOC Rally near Quartzside in January!

We are gonna leave a couple days early and squeeze in the Grand Canyon while we are in the area.

Can't wait!

By the way . . . congrats on the new trailer!

'Lil Guy'

Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:

We attended our first two rallies this past summer . . .

And one night last week we decided that we can't wait six months till spring to go camping, so we booked ourselves in at the Arizona HOC Rally near Quartzside in January!

We are gonna leave a couple days early and squeeze in the Grand Canyon while we are in the area.

Can't wait!

By the way . . . congrats on the new trailer!

Thanks. We were intimidated to say the least with the smallest North Trail made but were made to feel really welcome. The only kidding I get is the kidding that I start.lol I bet there are other Heartland owners who feel the same way and are missing out on the fun. My trailer was so small we had trouble finding it on the way back from the clubhouse. I could have parked 3 of my TT's in our pull through spot. There was one Trail Runner at the Bullard rally. I'll bet I was still the smallest rig there. Had a great time and met some great people who all share the same passion. Some people travel a log way to visit with friends they make through the HOC. I'm glad Debbie and I made the event and figured out what it is all about. later and have a great day. Hope to meet you at a rally in the future.

JohnD

Thanks. We were intimidated to say the least with the smallest North Trail made but were made to feel really welcome. The only kidding I get is the kidding that I start.lol I bet there are other Heartland owners who feel the same way and are missing out on the fun. My trailer was so small we had trouble finding it on the way back from the clubhouse. I could have parked 3 of my TT's in our pull through spot. There was one Trail Runner at the Bullard rally. I'll bet I was still the smallest rig there. Had a great time and met some great people who all share the same passion. Some people travel a log way to visit with friends they make through the HOC. I'm glad Debbie and I made the event and figured out what it is all about. later and have a great day. Hope to meet you at a rally in the future.

Thanks for enjoying the HOC Rally!

At the two rallies we've been to, there were only three or four pull-behind TT's . . . the rest were all big monster 5th wheelers!.

Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

(The above photos is our rig at and on our way to our last rally last month)

And as you found out . . . that doesn't matter one bit to those attending the rallies!

All that matters is that we are pulling a Heartland trailer behind our trucks!

And as I mentioned earlier . . . we just booked another rally a couple of days again for January, 2015 in Arizona!

Garry, the Arizona HOC Chapter Leader (who was our next door neighbor at our first rally in Colorado Springs last May, 2014) has a North Trail pull-behind as well . . . not one of the larger 5th-wheel trailers!

We've met lots of new friends since joining the Heartland Club and the rallies is what made that happen!

You'll never meet a better bunch of folks and friends!

Maybe we'll meet one day at a rally since we are in the same part of the US of A (kinda sort of)! :cool:

'Lil Guy'

Now I'm depressed. I don't have my Lil Guy and I don't have a monster 5th wheel. All I bought was a bigger Lil Guy. Again, moving up 1 foot at a time.

JohnD

It is not the size of the wand . . . but the magic in it!

Now I'm depressed. I don't have my Lil Guy and I don't have a monster 5th wheel. All I bought was a bigger Lil Guy. Again, moving up 1 foot at a time.

No reason to feel that way . . .

Enjoy your new trailer . . . bigger isn't always better! :eek:

Just bigger! :rolleyes: . . . and more expensive . . . :p !

Believe it or not, when we are ready to upgrade we probably will buy a bigger pull-behind instead of a 5th-wheeler!

Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg

We don't plan on retiring for at least 10-15 years, so by then we'll need both a new truck and a new trailer.

Just bought a new truck (2015 Chevy 2500HD) two months ago tomorrow (Friday), so that will be the tow king for this trailer until we are ready to upgrade to the next level.

It is more than enough truck for almost all of the bumper-pull trailers . . . but for a 5th-wheel, we'd have to stick to the smaller ones!

It pulls our 8,000 pound 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper-pull travel trailer over the continental divide like nobodies business!

I shed several tears when I had to sell my old (and most favorite vehicle I've ever owned) 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 as it just wasn't up to the task of pulling our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner where we wanted to go.

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg TruckCamperGlewoodSprings-P1050162.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg

By the by . . . book yourself in at the Quartzsite, AZ HOC Rally for this coming January, 2015 . . .

We'll be there . . . and if you hurry, you can get a space!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
You have to go with what works for you, not the image. My North Trail is perfect for Dakota and myself. Yep it is a little guy between all the Big Horns, cyclones and Gateways, but I get 14-15 MPG pulling. Enjoy your trailer, John is correct.

JohnD

You have to go with what works for you, not the image. My North Trail is perfect for Dakota and myself. Yep it is a little guy between all the Big Horns, cyclones and Gateways, but I get 14-15 MPG pulling. Enjoy your trailer, John is correct.

Hey Garry . . .

Can't wait to see you and Dakota again in January!

HOCRally-IMG_2202.jpg

I think that it is up to us Heartland bumper pull-behinders to get the word out so that we can get more of us to attend these rallies!

Let the crusade begin!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
John.....this rally is larger than I ever expected. I think it will be the most RV's from any Quatzsite Heartland Rally thus far.,,,,should be a real hoot....
Can't wait and it will be great to see you and Cathy again.....remember, you need to spell CAT not say the word around Dakota or she will go crazy trying to find them ha

TravelTiger

Hey, I'm glad you went with what your truck could pull. I am sure it would not be fun to get into a coach that is too big for the tow vehicle. (did that with our Lil Guy!) And I for one am glad you got an ElkRidge. We're a rare breed at the Rallies. ;)