Big Country Couch

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just wanted to give a heads up to those that have a rear living floor plan with the couch in the rear. You might want to check out what is holding your couch in place. We got home this morning from tailgating this weekend and Jo went to put slides out. The kitchen slide went first and as door slide was going out she notices my laptop bag is in the way and has to bring both slides back in to move laptop bag. Well we did not realize couch had shifted so kitchen slide starts coming in and almost breaks the facia off the side of the slide. Thankfully we catch it before it becomes catastrophic damage but it is still not good. Unless you look close you can't tell. Now gotta find someone to fix that for me and hope it ain't a lot. As far as couch moving heartland used two thin L brackets to hold couch in place, one sheared and the other appears to have come unscrewed. I bought to larger beefier brackets and longer screws, dang couch ain't going anywhere now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Exact thing happened to mine. They left a screw out of their little cheap homemade bracket and it pivoted, allowing the couch to move into the same position yours did. Almost damaged the couch and slide out. I posted a warning also, I hope the word get out to examine this before someone gets some damage.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those that have a rear living floor plan with the couch in the rear. You might want to check out what is holding your couch in place. We got home this morning from tailgating this weekend and Jo went to put slides out. The kitchen slide went first and as door slide was going out she notices my laptop bag is in the way and has to bring both slides back in to move laptop bag. Well we did not realize couch had shifted so kitchen slide starts coming in and almost breaks the facia off the side of the slide. Thankfully we catch it before it becomes catastrophic damage but it is still not good. Unless you look close you can't tell. Now gotta find someone to fix that for me and hope it ain't a lot. As far as couch moving heartland used two thin L brackets to hold couch in place, one sheared and the other appears to have come unscrewed. I bought to larger beefier brackets and longer screws, dang couch ain't going anywhere now.

jassson007

Exact thing happened to mine. They left a screw out of their little cheap homemade bracket and it pivoted, allowing the couch to move into the same position yours did. Almost damaged the couch and slide out. I posted a warning also, I hope the word get out to examine this before someone gets some damage.

My mobile repair guy said he would fix the facia for $50 so atleast it ain't a lot of damage.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We had a similar problem on our previous trailer involving a pickle jar. Don't ask! It was actually pretty easy to reconnect the facia.

jassson007

We had a similar problem on our previous trailer involving a pickle jar. Don't ask! It was actually pretty easy to reconnect the facia.

Pickle jar? You will have to share one day. Yeah he said it wasn't bad. If you didn't know you would miss that is was damaged.

farside291

Similar thing happened to ours also, except on the home theater sofa in the slide. Two short screws in the board across the front screwed into the floor. They were so short they only went in the floor about 1/8 inch. But protruded far enough that they came loose and tore up the carpet under the sofa. Every time the sofa would shift while on the road those darn little screws just tore up the floor. Noticed it when the sofa appeared to be away from wall more than usual.

jassson007

Similar thing happened to ours also, except on the home theater sofa in the slide. Two short screws in the board across the front screwed into the floor. They were so short they only went in the floor about 1/8 inch. But protruded far enough that they came loose and tore up the carpet under the sofa. Every time the sofa would shift while on the road those darn little screws just tore up the floor. Noticed it when the sofa appeared to be away from wall more than usual.

Sorry to hear that. Finally took slide facia apart and fixed that last week.

Jim.Allison

I wrote a thing about this on the forum last year. The guy on teh assembly line knows squat about physics. Although the plumbers tape used to secure the couch to the floor is adequate, it makes a difference how it is used. On mine they screwed the plumbers tape in such a way that the couch could slip forward. I almost went through the same disastrous scenario that you described.