Spare tire rack failure (bumper mount)

jimpav

We were at the heartland Amana Rally in Iowa two weeks ago, and on the way home we stopped overnight in a small town in Iowa. I just happened to notice that my rear bumper mounted spare tire rack was leaning towards the rear at an angle that did not seem correct. Upon further inspection, I noticed that mounting plate had ripped away from two of the welds on either side of it. I immediately took the tire and wheel off, and the next day took the bracket to a local welding shop to have it repaired. The weld shop cut off the remaining bracket and welded on a much heavier plate. It's very fortunate that I discovered this failure as the spare tire and wheel would have eventually fallen off the rear bumper, possibly causing great damage to whomever, or whatever was following us. I don't think we would have felt, or noticed if the tire/wheel fell off as we were going down the interstate.

We did not have anything else mounted on the bumper or the rack, and we were traveling on the interstate and secondary highways at all times. I searched the forum for similar occurrences, and found the same thing happened to someone with a Trailrunner back in 20011.
I advise anyone with a rear bumper mounted spare tire carrier to check the welds as soon as they can. I contacted my selling dealership in Va. for submittal to the warranty dept. Let's see what happens. see photos

SAM_0722.JPGSAM_0725.JPGSAM_0728.JPG

Bobby A

WOW !!
Good catch, that could of caused a very serious accident behind you if that thing came loose !!

jimpav

Looks like some of that quality Chinese steel!

It probably was sourced from a chinese vendor, which in itself is probably allright, but not engineered with enough margin to withstand the roads of our interstate highway system.

I just hope that anyone who has this carrier inspects the welds closely for any stress cracking before a failure like mine. This should be added to everyone's pre-trip checklist.

SailorDon

I just checked my bumper mounted spare on my 2014 Wilderness 2175RB. The mounting bracket is the same as the one in your photos.
I think the cut-out tab that is bent over at a 90 degree angle causes a stress concentration point at the bend of the tab. That causes crack initiation and ultimate failure if not caught in time.

Until I come up with a modification, I will be checking this mounting bracket pre-trip and during the trip.
I'm thinking that adding a 3rd "U" bolt in between the 2 existing "U" bolts would provide a direct clamping action on the vertical square steel tube that supports the spare tire.

I've only got about 2,000 miles on my TT, but that bracket could fail at 2,001 miles. Mine is original Heartland optional equipment from the dealer.

Thanks for the "heads up" on this potential problem.

jimpav

You're right, Don.....another U-bolt might help, but a heavier bracket with a weld right up the tube hopefully will eliminate the issue forever. I should start making the brackets like I had made for me in Iowa.
Next, we need to look at the welds that attach the entire bumper to the frame. I think I read someplace that someone experienced a failure of those welds as well. My pre-trip checklist is runnung out of room!!!!!
PS I sent a copy of the receipt ($40) to my seelling dealer for approved reimbursement. Havent received anything as of this writing. True.....$40 will not break my bank, but I wanted to see the level of apathy in the warranty process.

danemayer

I sent a copy of the receipt ($40) to my seelling dealer for approved reimbursement. Havent received anything as of this writing. True.....$40 will not break my bank, but I wanted to see the level of apathy in the warranty process.

The warranty in your trailer manual requires you to take the trailer to your dealer for repairs. If you want to do something else, even something that is much easier and less expensive, you'll find that reimbursement may be dependent on getting prior approval.

Next time, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Explain the problem and what you want to do about it and they'll pre-approve and then reimburse your expense.

On this one, without prior approval, maybe your dealer will reimburse you; maybe Heartland will reimburse you. Maybe.

SailorDon

....another U-bolt might help, but a heavier bracket with a weld right up the tube hopefully will eliminate the issue forever.
You are correct that the full length weld on the thicker steel mounting plate (like you have done) is a more permanent solution.
I was just thinking of something quick and easy I could do myself with an electric drill and an additional "U" bolt fastener (from Lowe's I hope).

GOTTOYS

I would also look at the welds that hold on the "bumper" Often those so called bumpers are made of light gauge material and have been know to fall off when anything heavy is attached like a bike rack....Don

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Good catch Jim. At least no damage to you and God knows what could have happened if it had broke free while travelling

caissiel

Warranty repairs only repair to OEM standard. I never bother with warranty because I repair by modification as you have done. Believe me I have done that thousands of times in my career and many occasions on my BC.

SailorDon

I would also look at the welds that hold on the "bumper" Often those so called bumpers are made of light gauge material and have been know to fall off when anything heavy is attached like a bike rack....Don
Perhaps we should attach safety chains from the travel trailer frame to the travel trailer rear bumper.:)