Traction Bars added - 2008 F350 CC SRW

brianharrison

There are discussions on this forum and others about the benefit of adding traction bars to pulling or lifted trucks. Lifted trucks with big mudders are easier to understand as the lift kits and big mudder tires create severe drive angles and forces that can create significant axle wrap and driveline distortion. Stock pulling trucks, are harder to rationalize the benefit of a traction bar setup.

I have been part of some of these discussion on this forum. I was not sure about traction bars for stock height trucks. So I bought a set and installed them. So far I am impressed, without compromising stock ride characteristics. I did some research on different types and found One Up Offroad, as a good product for my application.

My application: 2008 Ford Superduty CC SRW 4x4, 6.4L with H&S tuner adding additional HP and torque, stock height - pulling 16,200 GVWR Landmark.

My concern: I noticed some pinion gear noise while pulling away from dead stop. Short of adding a GOPRO camera underneath, I suspected some axle wrap/spring loading, potentially creating excessive driveline angles. Secondly, when not pulling, I sometimes put my foot into it.....creating some great horsepower/torque (and a smile on my face)..... I was concerned about the extra forces due to addition of tuner

A call to Dave at OUO, (great customer service, BTW) and 45 minutes of conversation and I ordered a set of adjustable traction bars, with UBolt flip axle attachments. The product is one of the most impressive, engineered, quality products I have come across for a while, targeted at auto enthusiasts. The level of engineering, quality of materials, QA/QC of manufacturing, packaging, and instructions are probably the best I have seen. I do quite a bit of wrenching.....

Dave did espound the benefits of traction bars for stock height trucks pulling heavy loads. Dave is very knowledgeable about his product and all things traction bars......

I will be towing here this fall down to Southern CA, and will be putting the traction bars through some trials. As mentioned, so far I have not seen a difference in stock ride quality, unloaded.

Here are a few pics of the install.

Stay tuned - I will report back with my findings, after the traction bar install.

Brian

Attachments

• DSC05248.jpg
    DSC05248.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC05283.jpg
    DSC05283.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC05298.jpg
    DSC05298.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC05299.jpg
    DSC05299.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC05304.jpg
    DSC05304.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC05310.jpg
    DSC05310.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC05311.jpg
    DSC05311.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 123

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A 2 piece driveshaft are the worst offenders. Bad pinion angles really creates "driveline whipping. You need close to 7* of driveline angle at the pinion to stop it. My '07 2500HD had it bad when starting from a stop with the Horn in tow. My '13 GMC 3500HD long bed now has a 1 piece drive shaft....no driveline whip.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What you say is true. My truck was stock. It was the weight of the 5er that pushed the rear springs down. At that point the pinion angle was almost 0*. The driveline vibrated badly until 20 MPH and after that was fine. The vibration is very hard on pinion bearings and seals. Adding some tapered shims between the axle housing and springs seemed to help (GM Parts).

Tarter

A 2 piece driveshaft are the worst offenders. Bad pinion angles really creates "driveline whipping. You need close to 7* of driveline angle at the pinion to stop it. My '07 2500HD had it bad when starting from a stop with the Horn in tow. My '13 GMC 3500HD long bed now has a 1 piece drive shaft....no driveline whip.

http://youtu.be/lQoRounykJQ?list=UU06Xr6wDjKYXQz9hlVPfJLw

After I saw this post I was on the google and ran across some One Up Offroad videos.
Looks like they are testing / abusing the trucks harder than I would drive them.

http://youtu.be/3ysfjw0Daxc?list=UU06Xr6wDjKYXQz9hlVPfJLw

http://youtu.be/k3h9QWrKN80

Last edited by a moderator:

brianharrison

Update.

After travelling 7,500 miles, mostly pulling my 14,900# Landmark I am satisfied with the traction bar install. I do not notice any driveline noise, or shudder when I start from dead stop.

When unloaded, the ride quality is similar, if not equal to without the traction bars - I do not notice any difference in ride quality.

Circumspect at best without installing a before and after video, but I am happy with the install. I am leaving them on.

Brian

caissiel

Air bags are the cause of axle wrap. Overloading causes drive line vibration. The solution is to add spring ply to level the truck and line the shaft and keep the axle from wrapping.
Unloaded springs will cause axle wrap every time.

brianharrison

I do not overextend the air bags and ensure the springs are loaded at all times. 5 psi when no load on truck and 35-40 when loaded with king pin. The overload springs on my truck are fully engaged when the air bags are pressured up.

Brian

Bohemian

Air bags are the cause of axle wrap. Overloading causes drive line vibration. The solution is to add spring ply to level the truck and line the shaft and keep the axle from wrapping.
Unloaded springs will cause axle wrap every time.

That's interesting. How do air bags CAUSE axle wrap?

Tarter

That's interesting. How do air bags CAUSE axle wrap?

Itlooks to me like when you load the axle at the axle center line and level thetruck up with air bags it reduces the leaf springs abilityto control the axle rotation under torque load. These stabilizer bars look likethe best solution because adding more spring to the pack to control the wrapwill make the tucks ride even more harsh than they are now when unloaded. Lookingat the videos, adding the leaves to the pack didn't cure the problem. I can’tsee any negatives to running this product. I plan on getting them.

Bohemian

Itlooks to me like when you load the axle at the axle center line and level thetruck up with air bags it reduces the leaf springs abilityto control the axle rotation under torque load. These stabilizer bars look likethe best solution because adding more spring to the pack to control the wrapwill make the tucks ride even more harsh than they are now when unloaded. Lookingat the videos, adding the leaves to the pack didn't cure the problem. I can’tsee any negatives to running this product. I plan on getting them.

OK, a guess.

I have understood the overall problem and the traction bar solution.

caissiel

I have my truck setup not to load the overload ply. When the overload ply is loaded the flat bar over the axle is loaded and the truck rides like a buckboard. I had to add 2 plies on each side to smooth out the ride. Withoit i was scared to break the hitch on the trailer, empty its realy smooth as it rides on one spring ply most of the time.
Each his own but I have been setting up my trucks that way for 23 years. From a 1/4 ton to 1/2 ton to the present 3/4 ton. The only one that was great stock was the 98 GM 2500. The F250 had 1/2 the stock suppprt the 2500 had. But now the ride is better the the GM empty or loaded.

Tarter

I have my truck setup not to load the overload ply. When the overload ply is loaded the flat bar over the axle is loaded and the truck rides like a buckboard. I had to add 2 plies on each side to smooth out the ride. Withoit i was scared to break the hitch on the trailer, empty its realy smooth as it rides on one spring ply most of the time.
Each his own but I have been setting up my trucks that way for 23 years. From a 1/4 ton to 1/2 ton to the present 3/4 ton. The only one that was great stock was the 98 GM 2500. The F250 had 1/2 the stock suppprt the 2500 had. But now the ride is better the the GM empty or loaded.

it looks like these springs have added leaves

https://youtu.be/k3h9QWrKN80