Propane tank gauge?

Jimnkarens

Anybody find a reliable way to gauge the amount of propane in those 30# tanks in our fifth wheel trailers?

GOTTOYS

Never saw a gauge that worked. Only method I know that works is to pour some hot water over the tank while it use and check the frost line on the tank, or weigh the tank and compare the weight to a full or empty tank..Don

pegmikef

Here is the one I use and it does a good enough job to let me know when it is getting close to time to switch bottles (I only leave one bottle at a time open so I don't get surprised). I wasn't looking for a hundred percent accuracy, just an estimated level so I know when to fill bottles. It is also handy for checking the bottles around the house as well like the grills, fish cooker, garage heater, and whatever. Works good for me.

http://www.truma.com/int/en/gas-supply/truma-levelcheck.php

I think got it off of ebay or amazon . . . don't remember now.

Wharton

When we switch tanks(tank in use is identified by a clothespin) we just fill up the empty tank. Always keep both tanks on.

pegmikef

When we switch tanks(tank in use is identified by a clothespin) we just fill up the empty tank. Always keep both tanks on.

But how do you know when it switches over to the other tank if you start with two tanks and it is cold out?

Wharton

The regulator on your tanks has an arrow(or something) that points to the tank being used. Doesn't make any difference if it is cold out.

Rodbuster

I also purchased a "Truma Level Check". I got the tip from Nabo (Nathan & Byrd).

Very satisfied with it....it also serves as a flash light.

Dick

pegmikef

The regulator on your tanks has an arrow(or something) that points to the tank being used. Doesn't make any difference if it is cold out.

Yeah, but on mine you can set it so it automatically switches over if the other tank is open and I think most of them do that.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have always only opened the tank in use. Then when it gets empty I open the full one and then take the empty to get filled. I changeover the arrow to point at the one in use.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought three of the LP tank guages from Camping World online (the stores never had them in stock) . . .

Two for the trailer and one for our CharBroil BBQ grill on our backyard deck!

The one on our deck doesn't work . . . leaks LP gas no matter how much I reef them with a pair of vice grips or wrap the screw-on with plumbers tape!

The other two on the trailer, even though I just had the tanks filled . . . only show the tanks about 1/2 full.

So far, I think I wasted $90 on these three LP gas guage units ($30 a piece) . . .

GWRam

I have just recently purchased the truma indicator and I am very pleased with its performance. The built in light is nice also.

I have tried the pour water on the tank method, magnetic temp strip on side of tank and even purchased one with a built in float gauge. So far the truma is by far the most accurate.

The tank with the built in float gauge was indicating 1/2 or slightly higher quantity, which didn't make sense to me as much as I had been using it for cooking. Truma indicated gas at the 1/4 or less level so I topped off tank and sure enough it was at 1/4 based on the amount of gas to fill the tank. I filled 4 tanks that day and tested both 30lb tanks before and after filling and both 20lb tanks for quantity with the truma and found it to give reliable information.

If I understand correctly, all of the temperature methods (to be accurate) require the tank to be in use (gas flowing) to create the temp differential. With the truma you can touch it to the side of any tank you want anytime and get a reading.

The one gotcha, always seems to be one, the side of the tank must be clean. Where the truma touches the tank no flaky paint, no rust, no stickers.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use that fitting on the BBQ, but unless I replace/remodel my tanks and regulator, they won't fit in the tank compartment. May and September are the only months I use a lot of propane, so checking the indicator on the regulator and the condensation on the tank each morning is good enough.

If I have to turn the knob, the empty is going to get taken immediately for filling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shurack24

This may not be the "easiest" solution, but I physically weigh the tank using a $10 luggage scale from Walmart.
Every tanks has a tare weight stamped into the tank. Admitedly, it somewhat inconvienent to remove the tank to weigh it, but if you can do that without disconnecting the hose, its not all that bad to do. Its not something you need to do every day you camp though either. Weighed a full tank, weighed an emtpy tank, and wrote the weights down inside our propane compartment. Then I just weigh the in-use tank every now and then.
We've tried the stick on strips, the flow gauges, etc...
And I'm not willing to spend $90 on the truma.

happykraut

I also only open one tank at a time. When it runs out, I know its empty to the last drop. I have been using the Truma level and have tried it on different rigs. I'm very happy with it.

porthole

Retired
One tank turned on at a time and I periodically weigh the tanks.
The convenience of an automatic switch over is diminished by having two empty tanks.

I also weigh the tanks at the beginning of the season and use a spreadsheet on phone to determine volume.

The empty weight is the "tare weight" and should be stamped on your tanks - "TW - ??.?"

I use a digital scale which is also my fish scale.
I have the full weight written on some blue painters tape attached next to the valve to "remind" the propane technician what "full" really is.

I weigh the tanks now when I get them filled as well.

Attachments

• propane tank 30.xls
    27 KB · Views: 27
  • propane tank 20.xls
    26 KB · Views: 7