Hydraulic issue... pump cutting out?

FiremanBill

Ok so I was getting the camper ready to take back to storage this afternoon and while bringing the slide out in it just stopped while holding the switch down. I thought a fuse blew so I checked that but it had not so I pushed the switch again and it started moving, then it stopped again. On the third time it came the rest of the way in. I was thinking the switch may be going bad.

But then when I was retracting the front jacks the same thing happened. When it quit I had to wait 20 seconds or so before they would move again.

I checked everything over and nothing was binding on the slide or the jacks. I was thinking maybe the fluid was low but it is not.

Could the pump be overheating and cutting off with just that little bit of use? Will look at it some more before our next outing for sure. Would like to get this sorted out ASAP.

Anyone else run into this sort of problem?

Nbomar

Same issue on my road warrior. Has done it since new. Just figured it was normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi wkcox,

This thread is a year old, so there's no telling if you'll get a response.

You'll want to get a new 12V DC mini-circuit breaker. 50 amp, auto-reset, same form factor as what you have now. With luck, you'll find one for less than $10 at an auto parts store, marine parts store, or RV dealer parts dep't. The breaker can get weak and once they begin tripping, it gets more and more frequent.

There can be other causes, like loose wires, dirty battery connections, low battery voltage, binds in the mechanisms, etc., but the most common cause is the breaker.

The breakers are on a buss bar near your batteries. I've attached some pictures to help, although the breaker pictured is a manual reset type.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 80
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 68

Az_Ernie

Is Heartland ever going to address and fix this recurring problem? This thread was started in October of 2014 and I'm sure the problem with these circuit breakers started before that. I just had to replace a weak breaker myself. Is this an engineering or supplier problem?

TedS

I doubt an engineering problem. I'm not sure Heartland has engineers. It is a design problem in which the designer selected too small a breaker. The breaker should be an 80 amp breaker.

HornedToad

Same issue on my road warrior. Has done it since new. Just figured it was normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not just a Heartland issue... My SOB has done it since new and I figured it was normal.

Glad I read this thread to know the cause / solution

goldenbear

Just had this happen on my Landmark Newport 365. Heartland authorized putting in an 80 amp breaker.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Az_Ernie

Just had this happen on my Landmark Newport 365. Heartland authorized putting in an 80 amp breaker.

goldenbear,

Let us know if you find an 80 amp breaker that fits on the buss bar where the weak breaker you're replacing was installed.

TedS

The 80 amp breakers do not fit the mini breaker bar. It has to be wall mounted and wired in to the feed to the power relay for the pump.

Az_Ernie

The 80 amp breakers do not fit the mini breaker bar. It has to be wall mounted and wired in to the feed to the power relay for the pump.
That makes sense and may explain why all the auto resetting 80 amp breakers I've been able to find will not install in place of the original 50 amp mini-breakers.

goldenbear

Heartland authorized an 80 amp breaker or two 40 amp breakers. CW in Asheville, NC didn't have an 80 amp breaker so they wired in two 40 amp breakers to get me going. I am going to redo it to an 80 amp when I get down south. Although, I haven't had any problems with the two 40's. 80 amp breakers will not fit the mini buss bar.

sjandbj

I had the same problem a year ago with the original breaker installed when the weather started getting a little colder. I replaced the breaker with a 80 amp breaker and checked all the crimped connectors. I found several that were lose. After tightening all the connectors and installing the new breaker I have had zero problems with the pump cutting out.

Steve

goldenbear

sjandbj: could you supply a picture of your installed 80 amp breaker? Would like to see how you did it.

MTPockets

This may or may not apply here, but I've had same problems on my front legs and bedroom slide. In both cases it was corrected when I installed new rocker switches.. I've had to replace the switch for The front legs twice. I also keep spare switches for the next time.