ATF: Trail Runner - Water Damage - Roof & Walls

We purchased our trail runner brand new in January 2013. We have used it twice and today when we went out in it (it sits in our driveway - with no trees) we found that there was water damage from the roof, bubbling the wallpaper (filled with water) above the bed, destroyed the closets with water damage and mold. There is water damage all over the roof and down the walls, and on the bed. I know we are out of the 1 year warranty but who do we call about the 10 year warranty???

danemayer

Re: ATF: North Country - Water Damage - Roof & Walls

Hi SchulzeFamily,

Sorry you're having this problem. You can contact Dicor about the roof warranty, but my understanding is that their warranty is against defects in the roofing material. That's something that would be pretty unusual. On the other hand it's quite common for caulking problems to result in water leaks. I think Heartland and other RV manufacturers recommend checking caulking quarterly and maintaining as necessary.

Before calling Dicor, you should take a look at both the roof material and at the caulking to identify the source of the water leak.

Hi SchulzeFamily,

Sorry you're having this problem. You can contact Dicor about the roof warranty, but my understanding is that their warranty is against defects in the roofing material. That's something that would be pretty unusual. On the other hand it's quite common for caulking problems to result in water leaks. I think Heartland and other RV manufacturers recommend checking caulking quarterly and maintaining as necessary.

Before calling Dicor, you should take a look at both the roof material and at the caulking to identify the source of the water leak.

Thank you so much! I am guessing that some of the caulk cracked and water got under it and bowed up the metal strip that goes across the top. Looks like it's starting on the back too. Would have been nice if someone would have just mentioned about caulk when we bough it... fun times! Is it a special kind of caulk we need or housing type? Thank you!

danemayer

Stop by an RV dealership parts department for caulk. On the roof you want a leveling caulk that spreads a bit from gravity. On side walls you want a non-leveling caulk. I don't think hardware stores carry the right stuff.