Garmin RV 760LMT Review

jdfishing

I would like to thank Bob Curry for his very thorough review of the new Garmin 760 LMT for RVers in the Heartland Highlights Newsletter. I'm curious to hear from some users about how valuable they find this, and is it that much better than the factory installed GPS in their truck. Bob mentioned it does not warn of low overpasses which I find disturbing. IS IT WORTH THE MONEY?

danemayer

I've been using the RV760 for a while now and have found it to be pretty good. Previously I had a smaller Garmin DEZL which uses the same "engine" but the RV760 has a better interface for RVers. The POI content on the 760 is excellent, especially for RV Parks. The Up Ahead feature is also a big help.

Bob and I discussed the question of how our 760s handle low clearances. Rather than warn me, my 760 has always routed me away from low clearances and other situations where the map data didn't support the RV profile - for example if the map data has a particular section of road rated for less than the weight of the RV/Truck (usually an error), it will route me away from that road.

Bob was going to do some additional testing to figure out what was going on with his unit - perhaps a map data error, or some other explanation. I haven't heard if he's found out any more on that point.

Last edited:

iawoody2

I have had mine for over a year and love it. I do believe that it will route around low clearance, I'm pretty sure happen once. I like the fact of lifetime updates, which reminds me I need to do this before we leave for Florida.

We just did an 8200 mile (with the trailer up), 17 state trip. I read the review and found it mostly accurate. If you put your RV specs into the GPS (overall length with truck, height, etc.) it will route you away from overpasses that are too low. It may give you a message when you are on a road that says something to the effect that this route has unknown rv characteristics. My biggest issue with the RV760 is that it has given me bum info on how to get into several parks after I got very close. If you follow its instructions to the campground at Stone Mt., GA for instance, you end up in a dead end alley in an adjacent shopping center. The KOA in Interior SD is about 3 miles from where the 760 said. The other thing it will sometimes do is lock up. The solution is to get out of the map mode and then go back to it. Hopefully you will notice it before you miss a turn.

olcoon

I'm thinking that sending you down a wrong road isn't necessarily the fault of the GPS. Our Nuvi has done this to us several times. In TX, we'll be on the outer road when we are actually on the interstate/expressway, or the other way around. I kind of think this is due to the satellite reception. Other times it'll have us get off on an exit, then get right back on the interstate. I'm thinking this the mapping software, which Garmin gets from a 3rd party. All in all, we don't trust the GPS 100%, Sally has the roadmap in her lap. I've also noticed that the GPS will take us through a big city, on an interstate highway, when actually the best way would be to go around the city...take I-435 around the city instead of staying on I-35.

Rodbuster

Hi John....how you hitting em???

John, we bought a Garmin RV760 this past January in preparation for our summer trip. We traveled over 15,000 miles on this trip. I would say that we used the truck GPS about 80% of the time and not the Garmin. Just didn't trust it.

When we received it in January we we did all the updates that we were supposed to do. We didn't think that we would have to do more updates in early May, when we left on our trip (that was our mistake)
The day we left, we punched in our destination for that evening, about 420 miles. As we left our driveway, the GPS directed onto a road that would have taken us about 15 miles out of the way and in the wrong direction. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the main road that I travel every day. Well, that didn't give us a warm and fuzzy feeling.

We kept on using it and it kept on making obvious mistakes. The time that really upset me was when we were in Utah. After spending 5 days at a campground we set our Garmin 760 to our next campground destination. We traveled about 10 miles when the GPS directed us onto a scenic road through mountains that we had visited a few days before. This road was paved for about 25 miles and then turned to dirt for another 15 to 20 miles. In some places it was quite narrow and winding. It was pretty cautious driving for truck alone, never mind towing a 40 ft 5th wheel. By the way, this road would have taken us about 40 miles in the "wrong direction".

The next day I called Garmin and told him about of all these bad directions. He said that we needed to update the unit. That didn't sit well with me. My answer to him was....your telling me that, unless I update my unit, that your GPS unit will direct me onto dangerous roads where I could damage property or even get killed. He didn't answer.

Well, to end the story, we did not use the Garmin GPS because we didn't bring the cable to update(again, my mistake), we just didn't think that it would need another update so soon and we really didn't think that it would put us in danger if it was not updated.

We went on with our trip and on to the Washington Rally where I met you....I don't blame the GPS for that.

On our way home a fellow camper in North Carolina let us use his cable to update our Garmin GPS. It seemed better, but still made mistakes. Twice, it directed us 3 to 4 miles away from a campground we had as a destination.
One last note....15 miles from my house, it still wanted to direct us away from a perfectly good road leading right to my house.

I'm very happy for the people that are enjoying their Garmin RV760 and I mean that, but as far as my unit, I'm not impressed.

Safe travels John and say "Hi" to Debbie.
Dick

jdfishing

Thanks to everyone for their info on the Garmin. Sounds like all GPS's. Right MOST of the time. Always have the paper map handy. Hey Dick, did you get a new Landmark since I last saw you? Hope your golf game has improved!!!

Wharton

GPS is not foolproof, no matter what brand. You need to use common sense in where it wants to send you. I would never put my trust in the GPS 100%. We use a Garmin(about 5 years old) and update whenever we are notified of new maps etc. We also load in several selections from POI Factory plus update it randomly with low bridge updates from the low bridge website.

We like our Garmin especially since updates are free. The GPS that come with cars/trucks(besides costing many $$$ as an option) don't have many updates and each update costs $$. We have had Garmin since 1999 and just use common sense.

Bohemian

They all use pretty much, if not exactly, the same data. Databases include errors, exclude some changes,.

Garmin provide lifetimes updates every quarter for $100.00. The auto makers provide infrequent updates every couple years for $100-200 each time.

Wharton

Garmin updates in recent years have been free. I think only the lower level GPS from Garmin don't have free updates.

teasac69

I don't have an RV perspective yet but it is loaded and ready to go. I've been using it in my truck to get used to it before I take a real road trip, which will be my first coming up fairly soon. I love this unit compared to my NUVI 750 which is several years old, even though I purchased lifetime updates a couple years ago. I love a few of the features, speeding warnings, (turns red); beeps and warns of upcoming school zone, much faster, bigger, clearer, reminded me to be in right lane to get ready to turn, split screens with insections approaching like my 2011 Silverado did. I'll write up a review when I complete my initial road trip in the next few weeks.

I do have that NUVI 750 available if anyone needs a GPS that is NOT related to an RV, is updated on maps and a very small screen (compared to all the new ones). Its not worth much to sell and if anyone truly needs one I'd be happy to make a donation to a good cause. Which means as long as you're not planning to profit from it but actually would use one and put it to good use.

send me a personal message with your info and I'll send it out

I do love this 760 so far.

olcoon

We also keep a paper map handy when traveling. We'll usually stop at the welcome center when we enter a new to us state & pick up their road map. Also have a road atlas in the truck. We've been sent astray too many times to trust the GPS 100%. I've often thought about the nightmare of keeping the GPS maps current, with all the info they have in their "brain". I don't know how they do it other than having someone on the ground doing it. I'd think it would drive a sane man crazy & a crazy man sane!!!

teasac69

Well just returned from our first road trip (1,200 miles total) and BH 3875FB performed very well (few minor problems I've already pointed out) but the GPS was wonderful. I like all the alerts, i.e. curves, speed limit changes, school zone, even a warning about unknown RV problem zone. I love the screen size, easy to use and program on the road (when you stop or pull over) and generally I'd give it a very good rating. I would imagine if you need the backup camera it would be nice to have, although I did not opt for that feature.