Propane tank Manufacture Date Stamp confusion

tssanders

We have a2013 Bighorn 3585rl with two 30lb tanks. The tanks are stamped test 02 triangle symbol 12. I went to get them filled and Ace hardware said that meant they we manufactured in 2002 and needed to be retested in 2012 so they would not fill them. I say they were manufactured in 02/2012 but agree the word test confuses the heck out of me? Help?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My tanks are stamped MFGR DATE 10 (triangle"T") 10.

I would take that to mean they were produced in Oct of 2010.

I would say your mfgr date is 02/2012. Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did a quick search and the 02 should indicate the month it was tested and the 12 is the year (2012). The triangle is the ID marking of who did the test. If you bought the BH new, it is very unlikely that HL put a 10 year old set of tanks in it. Maybe Ace ain't the place, try a propane distributor for a read of the symbols.

With most compressed gas cylinders I've dealt with, the recertification requirement period STARTS with the last date stamped or labelled on a tank. And the time period is dependent on the type of tank.

tssanders

Thanks Trace, sometimes us women folk are labeled clueless before we even get out of the Ford 450! The word test did have me a bit perplexed though!

eddylives

[h=3]A quick search showed this to read the date on tanks.

PROPANE CYLINDER MARKINGS[/h]Typical recertification stamp:
MM XXX YY E
MM -> 2 digit recertification month
XXX ->3 character Re-qualifier’s registration number
YY -> 2 digit recertification year
E ->States the cylinder has been externally examined
WC -> Water capacity of the cylinder.
TW -> Tare weight of the cylinder (what the tank weighs empty)
ICC, DOT, BTE, CTC or TC -> Specification number eg. TC4BA240
10 89 -> Date of manufacture (October. 1989)