Hydraulic Leak

We have a 2013 Bighorn 3070RL and have significant hydraulic leak of unknown source. Noticed a drip from the mi-under-belly a couple months ago. Finally opened up the underbelly today and found about 1-2 cups of hydro fluid laying in the low spot that had soaked the heat duct insulation. I had to remove about 5 feet of soaked ducting. Opene up areas to check the left and right hydro cylinders and the were dry and dusting with tight hose connections. Also checked the pump and reservoir up front and no sign of a leak, I have searched all suspect areas and can not find the source of the leak...yet I had a large amount of fluid to clean up. Anyone had such an experience with hydro leaks?? Thanks in advance

danemayer

Hi Schrimscher,

Sorry you're having this problem. Hopefully you'll hear from someone who's been through something similar.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Did you try operating the system with the underbelly opened up? Might be the only way to spot where it's coming from.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Remember that hydraulic systems operate at very high pressure, usually about 3000psi. The leak may be a significant distance from where you're finding the fluid collecting.
There is also the possibility that the leak (or spill) occurred and was corrected prior to your taking ownership of the rig and it has taken this long for the oil to find it's way out.

hoefler

Also, have had to add oil to the reservoir?? If not, I would suspect it was corrected and you are dealing with the after affects.

Thanks to everyone for your advise and counsel. I've done all of those suggestions including opening the belly while I laid underneath and watched both hydro shafts push out/in ; checked all connections ; wiped out all the mess and double checked the ram ends of each cylinder...no leaks anywhere. That fiberglss around the heat ducts soaked so bad you could wring it out like a sponge. Decided to monitor for further leakage. Right now it's not leaking and I'm hoping that it was a spill or overflow that finally pooled enough to make a mess. I've "calibrated" the reservoir in vasrious stages of operation... with slides out/in , front jacks up/down , everything all in and everyhing all extened. Hoping it is just a clich???
Thanks again
Paul

danemayer

Paul,

Hopefully all is ok, but it might be worth carrying a little Automatic Transmission Fluid with you on the next couple of trips. If it starts leaking, you might have to add fluid to fully operate jacks/slides.