Re-install Louvered Door?

Uncle Rog

Howdy, The louvered door and frame next to the closet have pulled out the staples and needs to be reinstalled. My best plan is to screw the frame in from the outside and putty them up, the wall thickness makes it impossible to drill through the back side. Any other ideas?

jpmorgan37

Rog;

I'm not exactly sure what your's looks like but when my closet door pulled the frame and everything loose, I took the hinges off of the frame and put 2 inch deck screws into the header behind the frame. I put the hinges back on (they covered the heads of the deck screws) and I can swing on it now and it won't come off.

John

Uncle Rog

I like that idea, I will look at it again and see if that will work with my configuration. Thanks..................

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another option might be to pre-drill and countersink the holes from the outside perimiter and use nice looking shiny brass wood screws. I've used that technique on a couple areas and it actually looks pretty nice.

fivernine

I have to agree with ct0218 on construction adhesive and also Gorilla glue, but only use the latter if the joint is hidden. It swells and can ruin the beautiful Heartland finish. Ray has a good point about brass screws--they look beautiful against the darker finishes like the cherry in the Landmark.

I just finished shrinking my king-size bed to a queen and found that Lowes wax-type wood filler sticks for red woods blends beautifully with the cherry finish. I was able to cover large screw heads sunk about .03" deep and the wax surface is invisible unless you know where to look. These sticks come four to a package from a lighter to a darker shade; the darkest shade works best with the cherry.