Seeking recommended hook up plan

Rig: Heartland M21 Edge, 2011 model.

I am temporarily storing a fellow camper's rig on my property. It does not get used very often and I am about to winterize it for the off season. The unit has 2 full size batteries connected in series. The owner has also invested in 2 solar panel trickle charging units. One unit for each battery. I have plenty of open area where the panel will collect the incoming solar radiation. I'm seeking guidance on hook up criteria. Consider that the coach will be 'turned off'; ie, there will be no power to any of the electrical system. With that in mind:
1) Should the batteries be disconnected from the coach as well as the 'in series' loop and then each connected to its 'own' solar charging panel?
2) The users manual for the panel, while not very helpful for hook up, does indicate that the battery will not overcharge and therefore does not need monitoring. Does anyone have any experience with this? The model is a Sunforce 50022.
3) Is it better to remove the batteries completely from the camper and set up the solar charge process in an otherwise protected outbuilding?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Scott

Jim.Allison

Take them back and go buy a smart charger, run a cord out to the rig, plug in the smart charger for a couple of days each month. Disconnect the negative lead to the coach for long term storage.

As far as these home depot chargers are concerned, I dont know how much you can do with 10 watts. But here is what I would do.

First, series and parallel. You probable have 2, 12v batts in parallel, or you may have 2, 6v batts in series. Either way you have a positive and a negative terminal output lead to the coach. these two leads will complete a twelve volt circuit. Check it with your volt meter. Once again the positive lead that goes to the coach and the negative lead that goes to the coach are what we are concerned with.

Your two panels have battery clamps on them, one black and one red, black negative and red positive. Take both red leads and clamp them on the positive coach lead and place both black clamps on the negative coach lead.

By doing this you are paralleling your panels for 12v to your 12v system you will not have to disconnect your batts to do this, but you should disconnect your negative lead to the coach to prevent the parasites from stealing all your juice.

your panels are 5 watts, 5w/12v=.42 amps charging X 2 = .84 charging under perfect conditions. He should take the panels back and get a battery maintainer from walmart or a smart charger.

Rig: Heartland M21 Edge, 2011 model.

I am temporarily storing a fellow camper's rig on my property. It does not get used very often and I am about to winterize it for the off season. The unit has 2 full size batteries connected in series. The owner has also invested in 2 solar panel trickle charging units. One unit for each battery. I have plenty of open area where the panel will collect the incoming solar radiation. I'm seeking guidance on hook up criteria. Consider that the coach will be 'turned off'; ie, there will be no power to any of the electrical system. With that in mind:
1) Should the batteries be disconnected from the coach as well as the 'in series' loop and then each connected to its 'own' solar charging panel?
2) The users manual for the panel, while not very helpful for hook up, does indicate that the battery will not overcharge and therefore does not need monitoring. Does anyone have any experience with this? The model is a Sunforce 50022.
3) Is it better to remove the batteries completely from the camper and set up the solar charge process in an otherwise protected outbuilding?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Scott

Last edited:

marvmarcy

The batteries should be disconnected from the trailer because the little solar panels only put out less than 1 amp each (10w / 12v = .83a) in full direct sun. Rather than mess with little solar panels that may not do the job, I recommend using a "Battery Minder". I put a Battery Minder in my truck many years ago and just plug it in when the truck is parked for more than a week. There are Battery Minders in various sizes for anything from a motorscooter up to a semi truck.

asendy

Hi Marv, Marcy and other forum users

It is very important with any lead acid battery technology to ensure that batteries are brought back to full charge at least once a week.

I am recommend a forum called www.solarpaneltalk.com . This is the biggest online solar specific forum in America and has some of the smartest guys around when it comes to hooking up solar power systems on RV's. If you have questions about the finer technical aspects of your stand alone power systems this is a great place to get them answered