ATF: ElkRidge - Rear bumper weight rating

Markus666

I'm looking to add a bumper adaptor to the rear bumper of my 2014 Elkridge e29 and need to know the bumper's weight rating. I'll be adding a hitch to hold a bike rack and 2 road bikes. Some of the reviews for the bumper adaptor mention that bumpers of certain up identified RVs have broken off, resulting in the loss of the bumper and bicycles (and potentially causing accidents for vehicles behind the RV). The owners manual is silent on the subject. If I have to weld a hitch to the frame, so be it, bit it sure would be easier to use the bumper adaptor.

Thanks for any input you have.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I wanted to carry a skateboard back there it would not be on a bumper.
In my opinion welding to the frame would be the only option.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

Lobovista

Have carried two bikes on my Elkridge bumper for thousands of miles with no problem. Saw a post once from the Elkridge product manager saying bike racks on the Elkridge bumper was ok because the bumper is welded to the frame. I do put a ratchet strap around the bike rack and pull it tight to the bumper to keep it from bouncing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've carried bikes on a couple long trips with the bolt-on 2" bumper mount on our ER bumper. Once, in a caravan over the Bighorn mountains. I asked the couple following us if the bikes ever flexed as we drove. They said no. Would I say it's 100% fool proof? Not sure, but I feel confident our setup works for us. We have this one: http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/xc-hitch-or-bumper-mount-rack/49401

And carry two 24-28# mountain bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garykcpa

Hi Erika and Tony. Thanks for all of your input on this great information website. With your mounted bike rack I would assume you do not have the spare tire mounted on the bumper as well. Did your 5ver have a bumper mounted spare tire or did you take it off?

TravelTiger

Hi Erika and Tony. Thanks for all of your input on this great information website. With your mounted bike rack I would assume you do not have the spare tire mounted on the bumper as well. Did your 5ver have a bumper mounted spare tire or did you take it off?

We do not have a spare on the bumper. Our spare is mounted horizontally on a wench system at the front of the trailer, slightly behind the front legs. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430312583.983124.jpg

TravelTiger

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430312752.880523.jpg

Here is our setup. We have been on only a few trips with it though. Most of the time we don't use them on trips.

MCTalley

Our previous Big Country had the 4" square bumper on the back (no molded rear cap). We carried two bikes on a carrier using a bolt-on hitch adapter on ours for two years and nearly 50,000 miles of travel with no problems. Before going with that option, I looked carefully and the rear bumper was solid steel (covered on the top and rear surfaces with diamond plate aluminum) welded to two standoffs that were welded to the frame. I didn't figure 100 lb. of bikes and carrier were going to stress it too much.

Take a close look at the bumper assembly and see if it looks like pretty heavy steel welded together like ours was. If it is something lighter weight like bolted together aluminum, for example, I'd be very hesitant to use it for that purpose.

TravelTiger

Our previous Big Country had the 4" square bumper on the back (no molded rear cap). We carried two bikes on a carrier using a bolt-on hitch adapter on ours for two years and nearly 50,000 miles of travel with no problems. Before going with that option, I looked carefully and the rear bumper was solid steel (covered on the top and rear surfaces with diamond plate aluminum) welded to two standoffs that were welded to the frame. I didn't figure 100 lb. of bikes and carrier were going to stress it too much.

Take a close look at the bumper assembly and see if it looks like pretty heavy steel welded together like ours was. If it is something lighter weight like bolted together aluminum, for example, I'd be very hesitant to use it for that purpose.

X2. Our unit was built in 2010, before the age of "make things lighter, so we can add more bling".