Parker, Our Black Border Collie Is Now Resting

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
It is with heavy hearts that we let you know Parker was put to sleep on Thursday, October 23[SUP]rd[/SUP].

Parker came to us at 8 weeks old and began his love affair with balls. He was a highly intelligent dog and lived up to the name adage “nosy Parker”. Escape was an event he loved and he put us to the test more than a couple of time. He always returned home (provided we didn’t go after him) and if the word ”ball” was called out, came running back.

Parker did a lot of traveling and enjoyed riding in the truck and the RV. On our first trip out, he climbed out the back window of the truck, onto the tonneau cover and we had a hard time coaxing him back in!

Health issues began for him early in life. We believe he suffered from BCC (Border Collie Collapse) brought on by heat/exercise but, being Parker, he was able to manage the condition and would stop playing and go to a place to cool down. After 25 minutes he was raring to go again.

Hip dysplasia symptoms began about 3 years ago, when he was 3, and we began a regimen of medication, physiotherapy and chiropractic procedures. He loved going for chiro! Following his sessions, he would sleep with his pain abated.

In the past few months, his condition worsened, walking on three legs in the house and on walks. This however, did not deter his passion for catching balls. When he ran, he was a sight to behold with his silky black coat glimmering in the sunlight. He could catch balls too, rivaling many major league ball players. Our one complaint, he never brought a ball back. He would herd them, hide them, drop and leave them, but never retrieved them.

Parker was a loving dog, but on his terms. We believe his pain influenced his aggressive behaviour toward us, Logan (his nephew), other people and dogs. The pain made him feel vulnerable and cautious to anyone touching him.

Parker left us quietly and quickly. Our vet speculates that his pain was worse than he let on. But being a Border Collie…. Rest in peace “Little P”… may you have a never ending supply of balls.

Attached are photos of our much loved Parker. Logan is a bit lost right now – Parker was his uncle, friend, and mentor.

Bob, Christine & Logan

Attachments

• Parker - Waiting For Balls.jpg
    Parker - Waiting For Balls.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Santa Parker -  First Xmas (2009).jpg
    Santa Parker - First Xmas (2009).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Parker - 3 Months.jpg
    Parker - 3 Months.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Parker &  Logan - Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine.jpg
    Parker & Logan - Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 47
  • I Love you Uncle Parker.jpg
    I Love you Uncle Parker.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 45

campers2

We have been thru that 3 times. Really tough. Time will ease the pain but not the memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It's really hard to say good by.. They are so easy to love but so hard to say good by to. Rest in Pease sweet baby Parker!!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Bob Christine:

So sorry for your loss!!!! No words can bring relief to you, just know your Heartland family sends you our prayers.

Garry & Dakota, My "Aussie" girl

thibideau

Bob and Christine

sorry to hear about Parker. Hope Jack was there to meet him as he crossed the rainbow bridge

iawoody2

Sorry for your loss, they become family. We know and relate, a few years ago we had to put our best friend down, we had him for 16 great years.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Please accept our condolences, it's tough to lose a family member. Trace

Crumgater

So sorry for your loss. It's always too soon when they leave us.
Run Free and Rest in Peace, Parker!

Beautiful dog. He looks well loved in those pictures!